GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What is your GS worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 06:11 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

the vette and GS shouldn't even be compared to one another. seriously lol
Old 07-02-14, 07:23 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
the vette and GS shouldn't even be compared to one another. seriously lol
Lol! When was the last time you heard of a Corvette owner bragging about 200k miles with a smile? Never... American cars are hot trash. And if there is a few out there WHO KNOWS how many "restorations" it's been thru.... lol. There's no comparison. I'd chose a 2008 IS-F over a ANY model Corvette ANY DAY.
Old 07-02-14, 09:08 AM
Mrmartin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Plenty of times. LS based GM engines are awesome. Great reliability, decent gas milage, great horse power. I've had my Tahoe for well over 200k miles and I've changed an alternator, that's it. Not even an oxygen sensor has went bad. Now my GS300 has 140k and the check engine light has been on twice in 10k miles, steering wheel motor started to make noises, 3 out of four door locks stoped working, the blend door motor went bad. The radio popped up with the external error message yesterday as well. Also the hood struts and trunk torsion bars wore out. Just lots of small high price problems. I still like my GS thought but that's just a comparison. There are a lot of the GM trucks pushing the 500k mark and still going (via a truck forum I'm on has a high milage thread). By no means are the Vette and GS compariable but my gs300 with 220hp gets at max 28mpg and the C6 Vettes get the same with a 6.0 405hp V8. To say all American cars are hot trash is ignorant.
Old 07-02-14, 09:10 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was really my point. Is there a car that beats the GS in every category? Of course there are better performing cars, M5's, Corvettes, etc. There are cars that are just as reliable, Hondas, newer Hyundiai's/Kia's maybe? but you're paying more for them. Whatever the average price point is for a 2GS, can you think of another car that performs as well and is equally reliable (that isn't a Lexus/Toyota)? G35 maybe?

Last edited by mccrimmon; 07-02-14 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-02-14, 09:43 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmartin
^^^Plenty of times. LS based GM engines are awesome. Great reliability, decent gas milage, great horse power. I've had my Tahoe for well over 200k miles and I've changed an alternator, that's it. Not even an oxygen sensor has went bad. Now my GS300 has 140k and the check engine light has been on twice in 10k miles, steering wheel motor started to make noises, 3 out of four door locks stoped working, the blend door motor went bad. The radio popped up with the external error message yesterday as well. Also the hood struts and trunk torsion bars wore out. Just lots of small high price problems. I still like my GS thought but that's just a comparison. There are a lot of the GM trucks pushing the 500k mark and still going (via a truck forum I'm on has a high milage thread). By no means are the Vette and GS compariable but my gs300 with 220hp gets at max 28mpg and the C6 Vettes get the same with a 6.0 405hp V8. To say all American cars are hot trash is ignorant.
If you say so.. I'm just speaking from my point of view.. I haven't had any Corvettes. But I've had my share of American cars. And only of them are in my possession still. I've had Buick, GMC (still have that one:1987 GMC pickup), Pontiac, Ford, Chevrolet, etc. They ALL gave UNNECESSARY problems. So I guess you've gotten lucky if changing an alternator is all you've done on that truck in 200k miles. And I meticulously take care of my cars. Change oils, filters, maintenance, etc. I'm just not an American car guy. I like muscle but blended in with luxury that you can't even tell it's there. I'll stick with Japanese. Not even Germans. Japanese automobile companies have been the closest to perfecting 100% reliability over high mileage. Besides numbers don't lie... HONDA is the NUMBER SOLD CAR on planet Earth... I'm riding with them to the end.
Old 07-02-14, 10:52 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
If you say so.. I'm just speaking from my point of view.. I haven't had any Corvettes. But I've had my share of American cars. And only of them are in my possession still. I've had Buick, GMC (still have that one:1987 GMC pickup), Pontiac, Ford, Chevrolet, etc. They ALL gave UNNECESSARY problems. So I guess you've gotten lucky if changing an alternator is all you've done on that truck in 200k miles. And I meticulously take care of my cars. Change oils, filters, maintenance, etc. I'm just not an American car guy. I like muscle but blended in with luxury that you can't even tell it's there. I'll stick with Japanese. Not even Germans. Japanese automobile companies have been the closest to perfecting 100% reliability over high mileage. Besides numbers don't lie... HONDA is the NUMBER SOLD CAR on planet Earth... I'm riding with them to the end.
Old honda over new hondas though IMO. the look of them has just gone downhill and they just seem so....i can't find the right word, i'm just not impressed with the appearance of them. my mom has a civic that i just hate. it doesn't drive well, it's not comfortable to sit in, and it's ugly as all get out.

buttttttt we are straying from the topic here.
my GS is worth every penny i've put into it. i'm very satisfied with the way the car looks - stock or modded- i like how it drives, i like the comfort of the seats and how much space there is inside of it. Overall it's been a very reliable car, and i don't think i'll switch to anything else as my daily. though i do eventually want something manual to drive now and again as well, because i miss driving a manual daily. or maybe swap the GS. dunno.
Old 07-02-14, 11:16 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

American trucks are the best hands down and I would put them in a different category than American made cars when it comes to reliability. I bought my 99 Suburban for $2600 four years ago with 140k miles on it and I have maybe put in around $500 - $600 total in repairs since. It's built like a tank and runs great. Gas mileage sucks.
Old 07-02-14, 01:48 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Lol sorry to bring up the C5 vette, i just meant it's the only car that comes to mind besides the 2GS that's such a good all-rounder for its price (off the top of my head anyway)

I know they're apples and oranges
Old 07-02-14, 08:09 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was pulling into work the other day and saw a shiny hooked up mustang in the middle of the street broken down with cute rims and the hood up and the owners head poking around in the bay, I just gave a lil tap of my borla v8 and smiled to myself as I pulled by him into work lol

Last edited by DosyBoy; 07-02-14 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-03-14, 06:55 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
I was pulling into work the other day and saw a shiny hooked up mustang in the middle of the street broken down with cute rims and the hood up and the owners head poking around in the bay, I just gave a lil tap of my borla v8 and smiled to myself as I pulled by him into work lol
hahahahaha cute rims. jfc.
and aren't you just a sweetheart
Old 07-03-14, 10:21 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
--- Bro are you in a GS300 or GS430? The power difference between the 2 is amazing. I'VE PUSHED MY CAR to that limit. It can withstand that kinda driving. But like Lexusjg1 a BMW M5 is better suited for that. The big bodyon the GS is meant to cruise but have an aggressive feel to it. If a drifter car with POWER and RELIABILITY that WON'T LEAVE YOU STRANDED with high *** shop bills, just get an IS-F ☺☺☺☺ man I'm sold on Lexus quality. It's not even fair to other car companies IMO. Japanese vehicles overall have changed the whole market.
I've got the GS430 so no problems with power or reliability. I agree it's meant to be a cruiser and a bruiser rather than a corner-carving star, unless you go for mods.

I would say the Japanese definitely rattled the Germans twenty years ago. These days it's the Koreans who are now doing the same.
Old 07-03-14, 10:34 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have been through the Detroit big 3 car owning experience with mixed results over the years. Troublesome cars but decent engines. I turned my back on those brands because of being stranded by at least two of them on the road at various times. No more of those for me ever again.

The C5's are in a different category and rarely see high miles because they're owned by a bunch of silver haired guys in their fifties who usually use them as hobby cars. But the Vettes do pack a hell of a wallop.

No, I would say that the best/closest competitors to the 2GS and 3GS are BMW 540 and Mercedes Benz E class. If I had about $5-7K in reserve funds for maintenance headaches, these would be the direct comparison cars.