GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What is your GS worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 07:09 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Hmmm... interesting. I mean I know the younger set loves these for the reliability. All the better to stuff some great wheels and tires do some street cruising without paying ridiculous maintenance costs.

But do you guys and gals really "drive" these cars? Do you push through corners and get some "g force" going? Do you like to find the next corner and dive into it? That kinda stuff. I'm not talking about just stoplight nonsense and racing light to to light, that's too easy.
The way i take corners and drive this car gives my boyfriend a heart attack. i'm one of those, i know the dimensions of my car, and i know what it is and isn't capable of - he'd prefer i drive like a granny in it. he always thinks i'm going to hit something or roll the car. seriously just when i park, he freaks out thinking i'm going to hit my bumper on the curb- or my mufflers if i'm backing in. again i know my car, i know how far i can pull in.
but hell even when i drove a 95 manual Corolla, i drove it like it was a racecar.
maybe that's just me, though. i trust my driving, and i have fun with it - unless the baby is in the car, then i'm less.... intense?
Old 07-01-14, 07:23 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusjg1

I do that once in a while with the 400. Even though it's capable of doing it. There are other cars out there better suited for such driving.
--- Lexusjg1 GREAT WAY TO PUT IT couldn't have said it better.
Old 07-01-14, 07:30 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Exactly the conundrum I find myself in. A GS that was on my bucket list. Got it. Love it. But... grew up with all sorts of ridiculous muscle cars and loved the corners as much as the straight line. My brother's 75 Camaro LT had more road feel and just as much romping power.

Lusted after the Germans but realized what a sorry state they were after the first 60K and not a whole lotta fun without a warranty.

An M5 would be a dream vehicle but... absurd maintenance costs and owners who are fed up with it means it hasn't aged well.

A GS, that's great for cruising but is very disconnected from the road. Novacaine driving. And no presence. Nobody notices my car. I got Toyota Corolla xrs's trying to take me! Grandma in her Buick is trying on me. Ford Escape's...

I think I asked this question because if I look at it objectively: BMW had a 5 series that came in station wagon, awd and of course a rwd V8. That pretty much addresses all things practical. Not to mention... it kicks the GS's *** on styling. Who dreamed up those absurd rear taillights? What about the E series Merc? It too looks great.

Anyway I criticize objectively not with malice.
--- Bro are you in a GS300 or GS430? The power difference between the 2 is amazing. I'VE PUSHED MY CAR to that limit. It can withstand that kinda driving. But like Lexusjg1 a BMW M5 is better suited for that. The big bodyon the GS is meant to cruise but have an aggressive feel to it. If a drifter car with POWER and RELIABILITY that WON'T LEAVE YOU STRANDED with high *** shop bills, just get an IS-F ☺☺☺☺ man I'm sold on Lexus quality. It's not even fair to other car companies IMO. Japanese vehicles overall have changed the whole market.
Old 07-01-14, 07:42 AM
rofflehous
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2gs
128k on the car
6k on the swap

Gte swapped
3 inch down pipe
3 inch exhaust
BCC
figs bushings
new ball joints
Megan lp coils
Rep tte lip

My car is a blast to drive and it turns heads everywhere.
ballpark 12-15k

Old 07-01-14, 07:50 AM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by rofflehous
My 2gs
128k on the car
6k on the swap

Gte swapped
3 inch down pipe
3 inch exhaust
BCC
figs bushings
new ball joints
Megan lp coils
Rep tte lip

My car is a blast to drive and it turns heads everywhere.
ballpark 12-15k

where did you order your rep tte lip at? i'm looking to get one before winter when my gs3 goes down for paint
Old 07-01-14, 07:54 AM
rofflehous
Driver

I got if on ebay for $88 shipped with hardware.
I took the bumper off to install it which was the right choice.
It fits like a glove.
Old 07-01-14, 08:26 AM
littlebird
Driver

I got if on ebay for $88 shipped with hardware.
I took the bumper off to install it which was the right choice.
It fits like a glove.
Sweet deal, thanks for the info. cause i need that and my roof spoiler before i get her painted so that i can get those painted along with my sideskirts at the same time so the color is all matching
Old 07-01-14, 08:51 AM
Ava92
Pole Position

But do you guys and gals really "drive" these cars? Do you push through corners and get some "g force" going? Do you like to find the next corner and dive into it? That kinda stuff. I'm not talking about just stoplight nonsense and racing light to to light, that's too easy.
No way, wheels will rub!

I have another project car for "fun" driving though, couldn't live without it. Going through these alberta winters is hellish enough for a car enthusiast (unless you have a subaru lol)
Old 07-01-14, 10:10 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great to see the passion that still exists for the 2GS with the newer generation. There's hope for you yet, lol!!! But seriously, the 2GS is a timeless design, and extremely well built. Of course it's not perfect, but hands down has been the best car I've ever owned and modded. That's why I have 4, and would have more if I had the funds and space.
Old 07-01-14, 10:36 AM
rofflehous
Driver

Originally Posted by veritek
great to see the passion that still exists for the 2GS with the newer generation. There's hope for you yet, lol!!! But seriously, the 2GS is a timeless design, and extremely well built. Of course it's not perfect, but hands down has been the best car I've ever owned and modded. That's why I have 4, and would have more if I had the funds and space.
I agree with this 100%

The fact that this body style stood its ground for 8 years and still looks classy and relatively updated is a testament to the appearance and the fact that there are several out there with over 250k miles that still run with just standard maintenance is a testament to the build quality.

Also from what I've seen most of the people with ball joint and caster arm bushing issues are lowered, as in my case.
Old 07-01-14, 11:22 AM
littlebird
Driver

I agree with this 100%

The fact that this body style stood its ground for 8 years and still looks classy and relatively updated is a testament to the appearance and the fact that there are several out there with over 250k miles that still run with just standard maintenance is a testament to the build quality.

Also from what I've seen most of the people with ball joint and caster arm bushing issues are lowered, as in my case.
Preach. ^^^
Attached Thumbnails What is your GS worth to you?-7e722f1c422b87fe13476544599c2_h498_w598_m2.jpg.cf.jpg  
Old 07-01-14, 02:44 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
More than its worth to most people
This...market value on mine is nothing compared to what it's worth to me. Had it over 6 years and it's mostly a garage queen now but I have no car payment and no intention to get rid of it anytime soon. Loved these cars back in 01 when I was on CL with my ES300 and they'd dropped into my budget when I was looking for something new in '08, it's been the most solid car I've owned, no regrets other than not finding one in SBM.

Old 07-01-14, 04:52 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

What other cars, outside of other Lexus or Toyotas, come close to the overall value of the 2GS? By overall I mean, driveability, reliability, performance, not just dollar value. A CPO Honda? I realize there are nicer driving cars with newer technology but you're also paying twice as much if not more to buy one. For '98 - '05, I find it hard to find a car that is a better value.
Old 07-02-14, 05:19 AM
Ava92
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mccrimmon
What other cars, outside of other Lexus or Toyotas, come close to the overall value of the 2GS? By overall I mean, driveability, reliability, performance, not just dollar value.
pretty much just C5 corvette..if you can stand it
Old 07-02-14, 05:32 AM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by Ava92
pretty much just C5 corvette..if you can stand it
yeah but the C5 Corvette doesn't have the room and practicality that the GS does.. a GS can be both sporty when modded and also be a family vehicle at the same time. :/

Last edited by littlebird; 07-02-14 at 07:12 AM.

Quick Reply: What is your GS worth to you?