GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What is your GS worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-14, 08:25 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My baby

What is your GS worth to you?-forumrunner_20140627_232442.png
Old 06-27-14, 08:55 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I see the forum members are passionate if nothing else!

What I see is that people don't pay too much attention to market value since very few owners sell these once they get a hold of them. I too love my GS because of its combination of ride and handling.

I am amazed at how this car rides actually... truly a combination of nimbleness and the ability to get as close to the syrupy smooth LS as you're going to get in a smaller frame that's much more sporty.

I find that the "invisible" features don't get mentioned much but they are very important. The front side curtain airbags/side impact airbags. Now that's safety! Stability controls and it does stop very quickly. A recent incident proved this to me.

I am pleased to have this car but one day I may move on... maybe to another Lexus or maybe... dare I say it... a German sedan. Not yet though.

Things Lexus could have improved on? Better styling, more timeless lines but that's subjective. Slightly more pinned down suspension. Those are my criticisms.
Old 06-28-14, 01:46 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my car.. if my car ever got stolen I'm sure I would find it. There's just something about lexus that keeps me coming back, i have owned 4 cars in my life, and three of them have been black Gs's. each time i have sold my car I was determined to get into a bmw or Mercedes but instead I bought another GS. I did have a Chrysler for a little bit but once that broke I decided to get back into another gs.
First gs300

Second gs400

My current gs430

This 1 is here to stay. I've decided when I get another car, this one will not be sold.
Old 06-28-14, 07:43 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was actually considering trading mine in for an SC430 or IS350 but I see tons of IS around here. I've only seen one or two GS430's and very few 2GS in general. I still get plenty of compliments. Easily, one of the best cars of its era. It's definitely a cult classic imo.
Old 06-28-14, 07:57 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
I love my car.. if my car ever got stolen I'm sure I would find it. There's just something about lexus that keeps me coming back, i have owned 4 cars in my life, and three of them have been black Gs's. each time i have sold my car I was determined to get into a bmw or Mercedes but instead I bought another GS. I did have a Chrysler for a little bit but once that broke I decided to get back into another gs.
First gs300

Second gs400

My current gs430

This 1 is here to stay. I've decided when I get another car, this one will not be sold.
--- Gsean400 your a good man. I see your collection is looking very nice. It's hard to stay from luxury and reliability mixed so well.
Old 06-29-14, 04:05 AM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my car. I bought it for 9500. Told myself, I'm just going to replace a few of the oem items that need attention (armrest, 2 door actuators, leather shift ****). Hah, that went out the window real quick. I've always wanted a 2gs ever since I laid my eyes on one back in 2002. I'm never letting it go. Just like everyone else, it's gonna have to be wrecked in order to lose her.
Old 06-29-14, 03:21 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bought my 2000, in 2010 for the price of a new Hyundai Elantra. The Hyudai actually has more features, believe it or not, but obviously there's no comparison in how this car makes me feel. The used 2nd gen GS has got to be the steal of the century - rock solid, go forever reliability, big highway speed if you want it, beautiful interior that will last. I hope my next car is a 2005 GS430.
Old 06-29-14, 04:50 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8yrs of ownership.........and still counting

Last edited by eman88; 07-02-14 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 04:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I agree. This car can make big highway speed. That's a really good term for it. And I think it just might be a bit of a cult car as someone else said.

I never thought that it would be a hit with 20-something generation (not that everybody is, on the forum). But I'm guessing some of you grew up with these in the family or saw them in car magazines.

I see some big $$$ being spent on mods and looks like people still feel they got their money's worth. Believe you me, I've been through the honeymoon phase with my first, second and third cars back in the day.

But will you feel this way a few years down the road when the family, job and mortgage come along and practicality takes over?
Old 06-29-14, 06:54 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eman88
8yrs of ownership.........and still counting

Looking good... what skirts are those? They look OEM~ish but not at the same time.
Old 06-30-14, 06:42 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gsbs300
Your car has 641k miles?
well that's an unfortunate typo, i meant 341k (i was using the numbers off to the side where 6 is right above the 3. my bad)

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
She meant 341k still though...
my new CL bff right here

Last edited by littlebird; 06-30-14 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 06:53 AM
gsbs300
Driver

Originally Posted by littlebird
well that's an unfortunate typo, i meant 341k (i was using the numbers off to the side where 6 is right above the 3. my bad)

my new CL bff right here

You really got your money's worth
Old 06-30-14, 06:54 AM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yes I agree. This car can make big highway speed. That's a really good term for it. And I think it just might be a bit of a cult car as someone else said.

I never thought that it would be a hit with 20-something generation (not that everybody is, on the forum). But I'm guessing some of you grew up with these in the family or saw them in car magazines.

I see some big $$$ being spent on mods and looks like people still feel they got their money's worth. Believe you me, I've been through the honeymoon phase with my first, second and third cars back in the day.

But will you feel this way a few years down the road when the family, job and mortgage come along and practicality takes over?
yeah, see i'm part of that 20-something generation (a whole whopping 23 here). i fell in love with my Boyfriend's SC400 before he and i ever even got together, and my intention was originally to get a 240.
Then i got pregnant, and that went from a 240 to an IS300 - just cause 4 doors would be easier with a baby. well in the end i ended up with my gs3 because it's bigger and more sturdy.
i've got the family, the job, the mortgage, practicality is everything - it rules my life. and trust me, i still wouldn't trade this car for anything. even if we have another child, it'll still be practical.

it's safe, reliable, the right size (grant it not once the son, rottweiler, and pit bull are all trying to cram in the back seat - then we will need a bigger vehicle ha), and it's still something i can mod and still be able to drive daily with my boy in it

Last edited by littlebird; 06-30-14 at 10:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
annjones13 (04-05-24)
Old 06-30-14, 06:56 AM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by gsbs300
You really got your money's worth
indeed, and the fact that the price i got it at was a steal makes it even better.
Old 06-30-14, 09:37 AM
Quiztrick
Driver School Candidate

Still having FUN with my 01 GS300. Great driving position , Enough Size. Reliable.
Worth it I guess!

Quick Reply: What is your GS worth to you?