GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What is your GS worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 10:28 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is your GS worth to you?

Did you get your money's worth? Five years from now what would you think? I think that in the late 1990's trying to find a car that rode this well... had safety features and muscle car performance would have been hard to find.

Today? Some things are still amazing about the GS but newer cars have taken over. Are the younger folks buying these as hobby cars and retro-nostalgics? You know... living in the past?
Old 06-26-14, 10:45 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely got my moneys worth and its not even a high mileage car (has less than 120k) . I dont ever plan to part with my GS. Unless knock on wood I get into a accident or something of that nature. If I have to I'll park it but itll never get sold. Its just such a great car.
Old 06-27-14, 01:27 AM
StanTycoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree, my gs is going to be with me forever
Old 06-27-14, 06:51 AM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonna drive it till i crash it

Been hoping my V8 will break so i can GTE it, but it still runs great sadly. Meanwhile my SR5 rolla is on its 3rd engine swap already lol

I'm not that attached to the GS tbh, but it would feel like a waste of money if i got rid of it now after dumping money into it lol, and parting out is too much hassle

plus some stuff like headers i really don't want to go through that install process again

Last edited by Ava92; 06-29-14 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-27-14, 08:10 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my gs is worth debating with you in threads ;D
but really, this car was definitely a great investment for me. even at 641k miles, she's running like a champ. i'm with the guys in that the only way i'd stop driving my car is if there's a wreck and i'm not able to anymore.

i'm debating whether to keep driving her with the stock motor and see how high i can wrack the miles up, or to swap in a GTE in. probably the latter, though
Old 06-27-14, 08:28 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I LOVE my car their is no parting EVER... It's priceless to me

Last edited by DosyBoy; 06-27-14 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-27-14, 09:37 AM
gsbs300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by littlebird
my gs is worth debating with you in threads ;D
but really, this car was definitely a great investment for me. even at 641k miles, she's running like a champ. i'm with the guys in that the only way i'd stop driving my car is if there's a wreck and i'm not able to anymore.

i'm debating whether to keep driving her with the stock motor and see how high i can wrack the miles up, or to swap in a GTE in. probably the latter, though
Your car has 641k miles?
Old 06-27-14, 09:59 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my car originally 5 years ago for 10k bone stock of a used car lot with only 75k on it. I think it was worth every penny. I was the 3rd owner, fully loaded, low miles, no frame damage, no decs, all original panels. The car ran super smooth, loved all the optional. I can't say there was anything about the car that I didn't like. Except the god awful wheels

My original intention was that it was just gonna be a daily driver (which it still is [not including the winter]). I told myself just get some rims and maybe some lowering springs and call it a day. Fair to say that didn't last too long. Little by little in snowballed to what it is today. I kept all my OEM parts for the day that I would sell it and put it all back to stock and part the rest out. But now I'm in it so deep that it probably needs to be sold as is.

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 06-27-14 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 10:37 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I got my 2001 Lexus GS430 back in Feb 6th 2012. It had 76k on the dash. Got it for approximately $10,800 and that's because I found it on CarGurus.com and they HAD TO MATCH they're Internet price. Man where do I begin with this car...

What is your GS worth to you?-forumrunner_20140627_132516.png

What is your GS worth to you?-forumrunner_20140627_132554.png

It's been THE BEST. For being a heavy V8 it's been AMAZING. I've spent some money on it but it's never left me on the road nor anything close to that. Just maintenance. I voluntarily have replaced the cats with OEM. New headlights OEM. Recently just put the OEM ML subwoofer in. ☺☺☺. Very happy about that. And a bunch of little OEM parts that's been needed around. I've installed brand new cross drilled rotors all around + high performance brake pads. Next time I'll get OEM. Great braking but not as quiet as OEM. I've also got a bunch of Moog front suspension parts but haven't needed to replace em yet ☺☺☺ besides those aftermarket things I keep it BONE STOCK.... But when I get some rims they will look just right.... With no suspension mods.

The car has 102xxx k miles right now. I have been DAILY DRIVING it SINCE I GOT IT. No breaks. Every season. Fall Winter Spring Summer and around again. This Feb will be 3 years I have it. And it's been running excellent. I'm going to change the oil and filter on it in a few since I'm off today. Nothing but Castrol Fully Synthetic Edge oil from day 1. Ima maintenance meticulously driven freak haha ☺☺.

I got the car when I was 19 so I'm 22 now. From then til now I can honestly say I've beat up the cars power a lil man. I was young with all that power I ran a few red lights. Lol. But today it starts up FINE and no noises. Quiet serenity engine. I'M A HAPPY CAMPER. I'll NEVER sell this car. It dies with me. Next victim is a nice LS430 anywhere from 2001-2008 I'm sold with Lexus luxury mixed with reliability.
Old 06-27-14, 10:54 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gsbs300
Your car has 641k miles?
She meant 341k still though...
Old 06-27-14, 10:58 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4

She meant 341k still though...
That's still allot. ☺☺☺☺ OG on wheels
Old 06-27-14, 01:31 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
I bought my car originally 5 years ago for 10k bone stock of a used car lot with only 75k on it. I think it was worth every penny. I was the 3rd owner, fully loaded, low miles, no frame damage, no decs, all original panels. The car ran super smooth, loved all the optional. I can't say there was anything about the car that I didn't like. Except the god awful wheels

My original intention was that it was just gonna be a daily driver (which it still is [not including the winter]). I told myself just get some rims and maybe some lowering springs and call it a day. Fair to say that didn't last too long. Little by little in snowballed to what it is today. I kept all my OEM parts for the day that I would sell it and put it all back to stock and part the rest out. But now I'm in it so deep that it probably needs to be sold as is.
Hey bro btw I didn't think those wheels it had on it were terrible. I actually think the car looks very nice that way. Just my honest opinion. From a stock car kinda guy.
Old 06-27-14, 01:48 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

i know we all have $$ amount in our head of what our cars are worth but at the end of day its only worth so much and you will only get so much...I've had offers over the years but turned them down because its hard to put a price on something you enjoy, Just recently had a offer from a guy at work and politely said no... I won't tell you what i paid for mine back in 2005 with 54k miles... Its probably archived here somewhere lol...
Old 06-27-14, 02:15 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah the number in my head is way too high lol. Mine is fully loaded except the Nak system. Parents originally bought it brand new in late 98'. Had 2 miles on it and that was from it getting driven on and off the ship lol. I was given the car for pretty much nothing a few years ago. I just dont want to part with it because Ive been in the car most of its 118,7xx miles it has on it so I know how the car has been treated.
Old 06-27-14, 02:54 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Hey bro btw I didn't think those wheels it had on it were terrible. I actually think the car looks very nice that way. Just my honest opinion. From a stock car kinda guy.
I guess I just have high standards. I personally hate chrome and cheap cast wheels made in China/Taiwan. I traded those wheels straight up for the factory chrome 17" 5 spokes on day 1 LOL

Quick Reply: What is your GS worth to you?