Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shifting clunk into drive or reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-14, 10:46 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Man, honestly I don't see this having anything to do with suspension...first off you said you changed your Trans mounts right? AND motor mounts? IF SO. Then by the looks and the sounds man. I'm drifting towards it being possibly your U-Joints man considering it's noisy only when switching into the two gears that cause the apposing contacts to mate, when there usually is no slack in that engagement the contact will not exhibit such a clunking noise, but if they are bad, the clunk can easily be the make up of room once contact is made. I know at least in the 4x4 world that's dam common if you don't have good U joints, I'm not sure if it's a common issue with these cars, but you can try and check! The easiest way to do it would be have someone else shift it from drive to neutral then reverse a couple times while you watch the drivetrain underneath from the side. Make sure the parking brake is set, the wheels chocked, and that the person keeps the brakes depressed. Watch for the make up of play sometimes you can even feel it, but it's really best to get the rear of the car off the ground, to get all tension off the driveline, and check for play with a monkey bar at the least, but being able to remove them and check though is ideal. Could even be your axel bearings man. I'll tell you what, you just gave me another job to do. I'm switching these from a GS that I'm parting that's newer than the GS I have that does this, dam you..... I'll let you know what I may encounter. Going to be at least a week id say though k. Maybe this weekend. God dangit...
Which U-Joints are you referring to? And yeah, it is only when going from reverse to drive and vice versa. When I go from neutral to reverse or park it is almost non-existent if it happens at all. Also, I don't know if this makes much of a difference, but it seems to happen more often in the morning when the car has been sitting all night.
Old 07-27-14, 10:45 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Man, honestly I don't see this having anything to do with suspension...first off you said you changed your Trans mounts right? AND motor mounts? IF SO. Then by the looks and the sounds man. I'm drifting towards it being possibly your U-Joints man considering it's noisy only when switching into the two gears that cause the apposing contacts to mate, when there usually is no slack in that engagement the contact will not exhibit such a clunking noise, but if they are bad, the clunk can easily be the make up of room once contact is made. I know at least in the 4x4 world that's dam common if you don't have good U joints, I'm not sure if it's a common issue with these cars, but you can try and check! The easiest way to do it would be have someone else shift it from drive to neutral then reverse a couple times while you watch the drivetrain underneath from the side. Make sure the parking brake is set, the wheels chocked, and that the person keeps the brakes depressed. Watch for the make up of play sometimes you can even feel it, but it's really best to get the rear of the car off the ground, to get all tension off the driveline, and check for play with a monkey bar at the least, but being able to remove them and check though is ideal. Could even be your axel bearings man. I'll tell you what, you just gave me another job to do. I'm switching these from a GS that I'm parting that's newer than the GS I have that does this, dam you..... I'll let you know what I may encounter. Going to be at least a week id say though k. Maybe this weekend. God dangit...
Have any luck? I'm thinking about just having in inspected by my local dealership, just to diagnose the problem. My shop can't seem to find any issues.
Old 07-27-14, 11:03 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
Have any luck? I'm thinking about just having in inspected by my local dealership, just to diagnose the problem. My shop can't seem to find any issues.
check your differential bushings. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...w-product.html
Old 07-28-14, 12:07 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I'm sorry man, I didnt have a chance too but I'm off work tomorrow and will be doing my Trans tomorrow so I'll try and get to the bottom of it for sure k. But the diff. Bushings sound like a possible culprit, let me see what kind of condition this cars are in and I'll compare to my 01's. Sorry about that man I've just been busy with so much. Trying to make a DIY'er for someone too, Ugh! But Trans job comes first tomorrow that's for sure.
Old 07-28-14, 12:09 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea btw sorry I didn't see your message about taking it to the dealership, no no don't bother man that's really unnecessary, I believe we can find the solution without going to those knuckle heads..
Old 07-28-14, 06:10 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by islexusred
This is exactly what I thought it was in the first place! How can I check them? Will they look like an old bushing or do I need to check for play? Thanks!!
Old 07-28-14, 06:23 AM
gsbs300
Driver

This is exactly what I thought it was in the first place! How can I check them? Will they look like an old bushing or do I need to check for play? Thanks!!

Just like any other bushing it will look torn and tired..but if your feeling dangerous get under there and have someone shift the car and watch the rear diff.
Old 07-29-14, 12:37 AM
islexusred
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsbs300
Just like any other bushing it will look torn and tired..but if your feeling dangerous get under there and have someone shift the car and watch the rear diff.
That's exactly how i did it! have the rear end raised up supported with jack stands, E-brake engaged, front wheels blocked so the car cant roll. have an experienced buddy shift from drive to reverse multiple times with his right foot on the brake. u need to be under the car with a flash light to check for moving parts specially where the thud sound is coming from.
Old 07-29-14, 11:36 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

I think it is the differential bushings because also I've noticed that when driving normally, after The car upshifts, there is a weird feeling that feels like the car is engine braking for a second, then it returns to normal. Everything is pointing to the differential bushings. I will take a video of my differential when I have time to show you guys what it looks like.
Old 07-29-14, 04:01 PM
islexusred
Pole Position

I think it is the differential bushings because also I've noticed that when driving normally, after The car upshifts, there is a weird feeling that feels like the car is engine braking for a second, then it returns to normal. Everything is pointing to the differential bushings. I will take a video of my differential when I have time to show you guys what it looks like.
keep us updated!
Old 09-11-14, 08:19 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Okay guys so I had the differential mounts replaced and it got better, but did not completely fix the issue. It seems to happen more often when it is hot outside so it's got to be a rubber bushing.

The only lead I have is the upper control arm bushings. Are there any other symptoms of worn UCA bushings?

One last note, when I'm going in reverse, there is a quiet rubbing noise coming from the rear, could the UCA be the cause of this too? Thanks guys!
Old 09-11-14, 10:03 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

rear spherical carrier bushings. check out the DIY
Old 09-11-14, 08:41 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmf2004
rear spherical carrier bushings. check out the DIY
Thanks for the response! I'd like to get some more info because the last thing I want to do right now is go out on a whim and spend more money on things that don't completely fix the problem.

Did you personally have a problem like mine that was fixed by installing the spherical bushings?
Old 09-12-14, 01:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for the response! I'd like to get some more info because the last thing I want to do right now is go out on a whim and spend more money on things that don't completely fix the problem.

Did you personally have a problem like mine that was fixed by installing the spherical bushings?
i have not installed them but people that did claimed the clunk went away.... There on ebay for about $70 or can get the ones FIGS makes.... which is a little more...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...placement.html

Last edited by tmf2004; 09-12-14 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 07:08 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

let us know if anyone fixes this, I have this problem as well

Quick Reply: Shifting clunk into drive or reverse