GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Alignment Question - 2001 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 08:36 AM
Chops@MVP
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Question - 2001 GS300

I have had this ongoing quirk for sometime now that has always bugged me and just found by searching where the OEM Front Camber adjustment is and think it may be the culprit. My front passenger tire stuck out just a hair more than the passenger which I put figured the near 1 degree of camber difference was what was causing it(2 degrees driver / 1 degree passenger prior to replaced parts). 2 shops told me my GS300 had no camber adjustment from the factory which I knew couldn't be right but they wouldn't let me in the shop for obvious reasons so i was left with 2 crappy alignments

Fast forward to now and I have replaced the Upper arms with SPC Camber arms and installed new lower Ball joints so back to the alignment shop. The third shop told me no OEM camber as well but luckily let me in the shop so I found the rear but didn't bother to look on the front as on paper it was perfect. My specs on paper are dialed in to perfection but my passenger front is still sticking out maybe a quarter of an inch more with camber being exact within .1 degrees of each other. Driver side is perfectly flush with my 265's.

My question is would the lower front arm camber bolt possibly being pushed all the way outward and them compensating for it with my upper arms to get perfect camber cause my wheel to stick out by that much or should I be looking at something else? I plan to take it back and ask to be put at 1 degree of camber all around as it's at like .5 all around and if I hit a hard enough bump it will slightly catch the fender.

Driverside

Passenger

Regards,
Robert
Old 06-19-14, 01:39 PM
johhntran
Driver

how odd, the gs300 does have factory camber adjustment or atleast my 03 does, it has an eccentric bolt on the #1 lower control arm. it doesnt have much adjustment but it still can make a difference. are you 100% positive the wheels are the same offset?

also if you have upper control arms and the the lower control arm camber bolts are not even or the same, the track of the wheels can be different while the camber is the same

i know this for a fact because adding camber roll center adapters/ extending the lower control arm reduces wheel clearance towards the fender, while adding camber from the upper a arm will make your wheels sunk but the track stays the same=giving you more wheel clearance towards the fender
Old 06-19-14, 01:46 PM
Chops@MVP
Lexus Test Driver

Yes 100% positive they are the same offset. I will have to climb under it and see what the lower adjustments are at and to see if they are even. Only suspension mods up front are the SPC Upper Arms, Figs RCA Spacers and the Megan Coilovers.

Regards,
Robert
Old 06-19-14, 02:10 PM
johhntran
Driver

hmm, yeah definitely check those eccentric bolts on the lca. sometimes if the bushings are bad it would cause the bolt to seize up...so even if both sides are completely maxxed out it could be possible that one side is seized and wont allow the bolt to do the adjustment
Old 06-20-14, 05:02 PM
Chops@MVP
Lexus Test Driver

Eccentric bolts were fully maxed on both sides. Did some other measurements on the fenders and the passenger fender was nearly a quarter inch further in than the driver at it's top peak. So it seems the previous owner did a horrible job with the roll/pull. Either way I'm going to have someone come over and pull that fender out to where it should be.

Regards,
Robert