GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Woohoo fresh off the Fedex truck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 04:24 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default fresh off the Fedex truck

Can't wait to get these bad boys installed, their heavy as S$&8!!! Almost broke my back carrying them up the steps... Sheesh

Last edited by DosyBoy; 06-18-14 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-18-14, 07:40 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy the swam of crickets that follow you. And by that I mean the sound that the pads make as they go over the holes and slots. When your windows are down it sounds like crickets at low speeds.
Old 06-18-14, 07:54 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoMiLex
Enjoy the swam of crickets that follow you. And by that I mean the sound that the pads make as they go over the holes and slots. When your windows are down it sounds like crickets at low speeds.
No clue what you're talking about, my brakes are quiet unless they're cold... then they just squeal for 30 sec-1 min.
Old 06-18-14, 07:59 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Sorry bro but I never heard that before in my life, maybe u bought some lightweight stuff or something idk, I've never experienced that though...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 06-18-14 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-18-14, 08:38 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

i can vouch for this, when I installed my ls4 brakes they do have a slight chirping, kinda like a baseball card in bike spokes...kinda sucks
Old 06-18-14, 11:22 PM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too can vouch for this. It's like a very faint but rapid click sound. Can be very irritating.
Old 06-19-14, 04:42 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
Sorry bro but I never heard that before in my life, maybe u bought some lightweight stuff or something idk, I've never experienced that though...
They are telling the truth. Those "performance" slots and drills are pretty much useless and cause noise. That noise, ping are the rotors cooling uneven, which will eventually cause cracks at the holes over time, especially aftermarket type. It just looks cool. The only way I would run cross drilled rotors is if I owned a high power foreign car that came from the factory with them. At least I know those have been engineered to the weight of the car. Flocko, I see you changed your name again lol
Old 06-19-14, 09:05 AM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I had crickets too when I was running ebc rotors and pads. Quickly returned them for a refund and went back to oem.
Old 06-19-14, 09:46 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Hmm I've ran them before and never heard any noises at all, odd... Oh well their going on regardless Monday at the shop from a guy I know at Benz, if I get crickets I'll let y'all know... But I highly doubt u can hear crickets over my Borla Catback exhaust, it tends to scare them away...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 06-19-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-19-14, 09:48 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
They are telling the truth. Those "performance" slots and drills are pretty much useless and cause noise. That noise, ping are the rotors cooling uneven, which will eventually cause cracks at the holes over time, especially aftermarket type. It just looks cool. The only way I would run cross drilled rotors is if I owned a high power foreign car that came from the factory with them. At least I know those have been engineered to the weight of the car. Flocko, I see you changed your name again lol
Yep changed it so everything matches on social sites, ebay, blah blah..
Old 06-19-14, 01:34 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed Power Stop K1079 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit yesterday. In the rear make a slight noise. They look nice, the noise is intermittent. My brakes stop on a dime now. I would change to stock or slotted rotors in the future.
Old 06-19-14, 01:45 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SPRTNYDSN
I just installed Power Stop K1079 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit yesterday. In the rear make a slight noise. They look nice, the noise is intermittent. My brakes stop on a dime now. I would change to stock or slotted rotors in the future.
That's the main reason I'm doing it, my stock rotors/brakes are horrible they just don't do it, it's pathetic...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 06-19-14 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-19-14, 05:11 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So what are you guys recommending? Just getting slotted rotors with out the drilled what brand is the best. I thought what the OP got was good was just thinking of getting them myself.
Old 06-19-14, 05:12 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Very nice

I have a custom Frankenstein BBK on one of my vehicles with EBC dimpled and slotted rotors paired with red pads.

they do make a cricket style sound but nothing to crazy and def can live with them.
Old 06-19-14, 08:07 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nyc80rick
So what are you guys recommending? Just getting slotted rotors with out the drilled what brand is the best. I thought what the OP got was good was just thinking of getting them myself.
if I could do it over again (when I bought the polished ls4 brakes they came with nearly new pads and rotors) I would probably go with slotted or oem. the cross drilled and slotted do look cool though

as far as how they work....lets just say I LITERALLY gave myself whip lash when I was not paying attention and had to slam on the brakes. frickin jacked my neck up for a week...

Quick Reply: Woohoo fresh off the Fedex truck!