GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First Lexus, and it wont even be mine

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 11:33 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! I went to school for college basketball as well. You must be very proud of him.
To your question: I would shy away from the GS with that kind of budget, there are other models that are nice looking, newer technology, affordable, good on gas and are very, very reliable. These GS's don't carry high price tags however the maintenance costs do. Not practical for a kid in college. Especially if he has playbooks and schoolbooks to worry about and not worrying where that annoying clunk keeps coming from, it can be quite embarrassing, ya know. Not that the GS is a poorly built car, it's just to costly for a kid in college. That's just my opinion. Good luck to you and your son.
Old 06-19-14, 12:05 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
Congrats! I went to school for college basketball as well. You must be very proud of him.
To your question: I would shy away from the GS with that kind of budget, there are other models that are nice looking, newer technology, affordable, good on gas and are very, very reliable. These GS's don't carry high price tags however the maintenance costs do. Not practical for a kid in college. Especially if he has playbooks and schoolbooks to worry about and not worrying where that annoying clunk keeps coming from, it can be quite embarrassing, ya know. Not that the GS is a poorly built car, it's just to costly for a kid in college. That's just my opinion. Good luck to you and your son.
I agree cause those thumps and clunks will soon be creeping up on him in a few years or sooner depending on how much he drives, the 100k maintenance will come quick and it's not cheap,the timing belt job alone is $600+ at lexus plus other costly repairs, don't get me wrong I love my 400 to death even with all the crap that came with it, mine, well, wasn't so nice mechanically when I bought it, I spent over 7k in maintenance/replacement parts, now it's solid but your average person isn't gonna do that, a kid in college his head would spin around when looking at repair bills, it's just not the smart thing to do, so when thinking about it again, I would pass and get something else seriously...
Old 06-19-14, 12:09 PM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SicilyGS4,

completely off topic, but what kinds of tips are those in that picture in your sig? you've replied in a few of the threads i've looked at and they're very eye catching.
Old 06-19-14, 12:42 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by littlebird
SicilyGS4,

completely off topic, but what kinds of tips are those in that picture in your sig? you've replied in a few of the threads i've looked at and they're very eye catching.
Those are burnt titanium tips by Greddy on an IS-F sport I'm actually in the process of doing my Borla tips like that if I'm gonna go through with it I'm not sure yet kinda on the fence

Last edited by DosyBoy; 06-19-14 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-20-14, 06:26 AM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
Those are burnt titanium tips by Greddy on an IS-F sport I'm actually in the process of doing my Borla tips like that if I'm gonna go through with it I'm not sure yet kinda on the fence
they're eye catching. if it would even remotely match the plans i have for my car, i'd consider it, but it wouldn't fit
thanks for the info
Old 06-20-14, 06:57 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think he meant laughable in that the father specifically stated he was looking for a GS or IS, and the person out of nowhere just said to get a Honda Fit. yes they are reliable, but if he wanted to look into Hondas, he surely wouldn't be looking on CL. that's like me going to a paint shop looking to get my car painted, and the guy saying "hey instead of that, why don't you go get an oil change from Juffy Lube?". or like asking someone to pick a number 1-10 and they say 89.

It wasn't want was originally asked for by the OP and came completely out of left field.

and i don't recall him saying that his son knows how to work on cars, so that's not really relevant :/
it is relevant cause if he's looking for a reliable car, these old cars wont do. how many people come onto this board complaining about problems? how many posts are just people throwing parts at their cars and they never fix anything?

the point is that his kid is going to school and needs a reliable car. are these cars reliable today? its a hit or miss. would i personally take the chance with my kid to drive some old *** car that i cant fix cause he's too far away? nope.

take into account all these things. thats part of being an adult and making decisions.

besides, this is a car forum. arent we all just into cars? or should we all just deny any credibility to any other cars?
Old 06-20-14, 08:58 AM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by marshun
it is relevant cause if he's looking for a reliable car, these old cars wont do. how many people come onto this board complaining about problems? how many posts are just people throwing parts at their cars and they never fix anything?

the point is that his kid is going to school and needs a reliable car. are these cars reliable today? its a hit or miss. would i personally take the chance with my kid to drive some old *** car that i cant fix cause he's too far away? nope.

take into account all these things. thats part of being an adult and making decisions.

besides, this is a car forum. arent we all just into cars? or should we all just deny any credibility to any other cars?
NO ONE here is denying the car any credibility and reliability. it's just funny that we were asked to pick between a green apple or a red apple and someone said "why don't you get an orange"
it IS irrelevant because the OP was NOT asking about hondas.

it is humorous to some. just because your idea of what's laughable and what's not is different than someone else's doesn't mean you need to sit there and tell them they're wrong. I'm not here to argue with you since your opinion is obviously more valid than anyone elses.

and just because SOME people have issues with these cars doesn't mean ALL do. with ANY car you run the risk of needing maintenance and things going wrong. i know SEVERAL people who have had no issues with these older cars. Myself included in that. people throwing parts at their cars and not fixing things is a fault of their own and by no means lowers the value of the vehicle just because the owner doesnt know how to maintain something.
if YOU don't want to take the chance with your kid, that's fine. but the OP already said he wants either a GS or an IS, and he is not you.
and yes, we are all into cars, but if the OP already has his mind set on getting one of two cars, and he asks a question specifically about THOSE cars, answer what he asks, not what you feel like talking about

Last edited by littlebird; 06-20-14 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-20-14, 11:14 AM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO ONE here is denying the car any credibility and reliability. it's just funny that we were asked to pick between a green apple or a red apple and someone said "why don't you get an orange"

it is humorous to some. just because your idea of what's laughable and what's not is different than someone else's doesn't mean you need to sit there and tell them they're wrong. I'm not here to argue with you since your opinion is obviously more valid than anyone elses.

and just because SOME people have issues with these cars doesn't mean ALL do. with ANY car you run the risk of needing maintenance and things going wrong. i know SEVERAL people who have had no issues with these older cars. Myself included in that. people throwing parts at their cars and not fixing things is a fault of their own and by no means lowers the value of the vehicle just because the owner doesnt know how to maintain something.
if YOU don't want to take the chance with your kid, that's fine. but the OP already said he wants either a GS or an IS, and he is not you.
and yes, we are all into cars, but if the OP already has his mind set on getting one of two cars, and he asks a question specifically about THOSE cars, answer what he asks, not what you feel like talking about
Standing Ovation
Old 06-20-14, 12:48 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmara2k9
Standing Ovation
Yea she sonned him, lol littlebird
Old 06-20-14, 12:50 PM
littlebird
Driver

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4

Yea she sonned him, lol littlebird
I was only trying to explain why me and the other guys thought it was funny and he was going off on a tangent that had nothing to do with anything.
I guess I'm your typical woman in that I don't like to be told I'm wrong when I know I'm not.
Old 06-20-14, 11:17 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well naturally people post their problems on here, that's what the forum is for.. Doesn't take into account all the people with our cars who aren't having any problems lol.
I'm at 203k and have owned the car since 170k only thing that ever needed replacement was the serpentine belt tensioner and that was a cheap easy fix..
Old 06-21-14, 05:40 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Lugas99GS. This forum will have more people reporting issues than not. That's the nature of forums like this. My '00 GS300 has 185k miles. I bought it with 124k miles on it. The only "problems" I have had are all maintenance items i.e. TB, WP, seals, plugs, wires, fluid changes, etc. And I referred to this forum for advise on how to address those issues. Regardless of what he buys these type issues will have to be addressed from time to time.

If I were going to buy my kid a used car a 2G would definitely be in the running. They are some of the most durable cars on the road. What's to say a newer (different model) car won't have as yet undocumented issues as well. At least with these models all the issues are know and addressable. I'd find me a 2G with verifiable service records that has had all the proper maintenance and pull the trigger.
Old 06-21-14, 07:21 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
I agree with Lugas99GS. This forum will have more people reporting issues than not. That's the nature of forums like this. My '00 GS300 has 185k miles. I bought it with 124k miles on it. The only "problems" I have had are all maintenance items i.e. TB, WP, seals, plugs, wires, fluid changes, etc. And I referred to this forum for advise on how to address those issues. Regardless of what he buys these type issues will have to be addressed from time to time.

If I were going to buy my kid a used car a 2G would definitely be in the running. They are some of the most durable cars on the road. What's to say a newer (different model) car won't have as yet undocumented issues as well. At least with these models all the issues are know and addressable. I'd find me a 2G with verifiable service records that has had all the proper maintenance and pull the trigger.
Agreed. Naturally a forum is a place to exchange ideas/tips with most of those on this forum as either help with a problem/issue or performance/upgrades.
Old 06-21-14, 08:56 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

As far as luxury cars are concerned you really can't beat lexus, I'd still happily take my 15 yr old GS over a comparably priced 5-10yr old American sedan, a lot of people don't even think of buying a used luxury car and would rather buy a newer cheaper car like a camry etc, a lot of people assume all luxury cars are super expensive to fix and break a lot, and while that's true with German cars, lexus, acura not really, parts arent very expensive, and unless you go to the dealer you won't pay more than any other car, our cars are relatively easy to work on
Old 06-22-14, 08:12 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lukas99gs
as far as luxury cars are concerned you really can't beat lexus, i'd still happily take my 15 yr old gs over a comparably priced 5-10yr old american sedan, a lot of people don't even think of buying a used luxury car and would rather buy a newer cheaper car like a camry etc, a lot of people assume all luxury cars are super expensive to fix and break a lot, and while that's true with german cars, lexus, acura not really, parts arent very expensive, and unless you go to the dealer you won't pay more than any other car, our cars are relatively easy to work on
Couldn't have said it any better. #430 #gslife #☺☺☺

Last edited by aneidiaz; 06-22-14 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: First Lexus, and it wont even be mine