Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

VVTi Solenoid bad?

Old 06-11-14, 08:02 AM   #1
empera
Pole Position
Trader Score: (11)

Default VVTi Solenoid bad?

So i had the dreaded P1349 pop up right after i bought the car. I had the car sitting for a while but yesterday i decided to tackle a couple of things. The spark plugs and cleaning of the small solenoid filter and cleaning of the vvti solenoid itself.

After trying to get everything as clean as possible i re-installed the filter and solenoid. The car almost immediately started to run great and like a whole new car.

I then decided to drive it home and make sure all was good. Made it home without any issues. Car ran great on the highway...smooth as my others. I even went to the market a little later.

This morning i drove it to work...about 10-15 minutes of driving the rough idle came back and the car was missing under 1k once again. On the highway it was fine.

I ran to the shop and grabbed the code read and once again P1349 came back along with P0135 (o2 sensor i believe). Not sure if related but both came up.

So the leads me to ask. Could the solenoid itself be bad or are the 2 codes some how related?

I will order a new filter and possibly a new solenoid soon.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
empera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 08:12 PM   #2
ttaylor993
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
So i had the dreaded P1349 pop up right after i bought the car. I had the car sitting for a while but yesterday i decided to tackle a couple of things. The spark plugs and cleaning of the small solenoid filter and cleaning of the vvti solenoid itself.

After trying to get everything as clean as possible i re-installed the filter and solenoid. The car almost immediately started to run great and like a whole new car.

I then decided to drive it home and make sure all was good. Made it home without any issues. Car ran great on the highway...smooth as my others. I even went to the market a little later.

This morning i drove it to work...about 10-15 minutes of driving the rough idle came back and the car was missing under 1k once again. On the highway it was fine.

I ran to the shop and grabbed the code read and once again P1349 came back along with P0135 (o2 sensor i believe). Not sure if related but both came up.

So the leads me to ask. Could the solenoid itself be bad or are the 2 codes some how related?

I will order a new filter and possibly a new solenoid soon.
I had a similar issue with my "00 GS3. Started right after I changed the timing belt. Turns out the belt had jumped several teeth. I'd pull the upper timing belt cover and see if the marks on the two cams and the mark on the crank line up.
ttaylor993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 08:22 PM   #3
cmara2k9
Pole Position

OP it sounds like you need a new vvt solenoid/oil control valve, i had this code a few years back and replacing the solenoid fixed it....just my 2 cents
cmara2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 07:07 AM   #4
empera
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor993 View Post
I had a similar issue with my "00 GS3. Started right after I changed the timing belt. Turns out the belt had jumped several teeth. I'd pull the upper timing belt cover and see if the marks on the two cams and the mark on the crank line up.
I'd say that would cause the car to run like **** all the time but it doesnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmara2k9 View Post
OP it sounds like you need a new vvt solenoid/oil control valve, i had this code a few years back and replacing the solenoid fixed it....just my 2 cents
Seems to be the culprit.
Old 06-12-14, 09:40 AM   #5
bonesnj0
Rookie

need a new vvt solenoid/oil control valve: I would defiantly try valve first.
bonesnj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 11:17 AM   #6
empera
Pole Position

same difference?
Old 06-12-14, 07:03 PM   #7
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Quote:
same difference?
Yes they are the same thing just different names
cmara2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 07:54 PM   #8
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Quote:
I'd say that would cause the car to run like **** all the time but it doesnt.

Seems to be the culprit.
Oddly enough, it would run perfectly for the first 10 to 20 minutes. Then, it would run like crap once the car was good and warmed up.
ttaylor993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 07:54 PM