GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Getting ready to do the 120k service... Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 04:38 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to do the 120k service... Tips?

Hello GS owners, I am going to be doing my first major tune up on my recently purchased GS430. I am going to be replacing the following items:

Air Conditioning filter
Differential Oil
Engine Air Filter
Engine Oil and Filter
Transmission Fluid
Spark Plugs
Power Steering Fluid
Brake Fluid

Any recommendations on which brand of fluids I should use? Brand of spark plugs?

Also, I've been looking around and couldn't find any guides to replacing the power steering fluid and the brake fluid. Are these jobs pretty straight forward?

Last edited by Behemoth7; 06-08-14 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-09-14, 06:28 AM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you have on your list is a good start so far. I've researched the 120k service myself and added a few things to the list that I felt were much needed.

Spark plugs are a MUST! Make sure you get the correct ones. Preferably the OEM Denso plugs. I have a GS300 but when I had my GS430, I never did my timing belt and I regret it. Mine snapped and resulted in costly repairs due to bent valves. Get the entire kit (tensioner, roller). Replace your drive belt. Flush your coolant. Inspect your valve covers. If there are any leaks, replace the valve cover gaskets, cam seals, and crank seal. Replace your cooling components (water pump, thermostat, upper/lower hoses. Lube your steering column and clean your throttle body.
Old 06-09-14, 03:14 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
Hello GS owners, I am going to be doing my first major tune up on my recently purchased GS430. I am going to be replacing the following items:

Air Conditioning filter
Differential Oil
Engine Air Filter
Engine Oil and Filter
Transmission Fluid
Spark Plugs
Power Steering Fluid
Brake Fluid

Any recommendations on which brand of fluids I should use? Brand of spark plugs?

Also, I've been looking around and couldn't find any guides to replacing the power steering fluid and the brake fluid. Are these jobs pretty straight forward?
Ask yourself what jobs you want to do yourself, versus what jobs you want to pay a mechanic to do. You've mixed in some super easy jobs with more difficult jobs.

For fluids:
engine oil: whatever 5w-30 you like. You don't need to overspend here, just get whatever full synthetic is on special.

powersteering: any dex compatible fluid (ATF). You can pick up a quart in the parts store.

ATF: your car calls for Toyota Type IV fluid

brake fluid: any dot 3/4 fluid. While dot4 "racing" fluid may suck you in with it's performance benefits, it has a shorter lifespan and needs to be replaced more often. The "inferior" regular brake fluid might be a better choice.

Diff fluid: You may only need to do this once for the life of your vehicle. pick up a high quality synth. fluid, perhaps amsoil or redline.

spark plugs; just get OEM.

For your specific questions:

If you want to do powersteering the beginner's way at home with no labor cost, then you can just suck out the contents of the reservoir and replace that amount of fluid. Do this once a week until you work your way through a quart of fluid, and that's good enough.
There are also drain valves if you are a more advanced mechanic and want to work under the car.

The brake system fluid change is standard. any mechanic can do it the standard way. Suggest you just pay a mechanic since having no brakes is dangerous if you mess it up.
Old 06-09-14, 03:20 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

also, a lot of the info you are looking for are in the Sticky with the list of DIY stuff. take a look
Old 06-09-14, 03:35 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP161
What you have on your list is a good start so far. I've researched the 120k service myself and added a few things to the list that I felt were much needed.

Spark plugs are a MUST! Make sure you get the correct ones. Preferably the OEM Denso plugs. I have a GS300 but when I had my GS430, I never did my timing belt and I regret it. Mine snapped and resulted in costly repairs due to bent valves. Get the entire kit (tensioner, roller). Replace your drive belt. Flush your coolant. Inspect your valve covers. If there are any leaks, replace the valve cover gaskets, cam seals, and crank seal. Replace your cooling components (water pump, thermostat, upper/lower hoses. Lube your steering column and clean your throttle body.
what!?!?!? You are the FIRST person that I've read that their TB snapped at 120k or are you saying that you never changed it and it eventually snapped? How many miles did it snap?
Old 06-09-14, 04:16 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP161

When you say lube the steering column, what do you mean? I've been having this issue where the steering(shaft?) Feels like it's loose and makes a clunky feeling when turning the wheel and going over bumps at low speed.

And I just replaced the radiator, the tb was just replaced, and I'm pretty sure the Water pump was too(which caused the radiator to crack). Belts look good, and I have no leaks.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 06-09-14, 08:01 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
what!?!?!? You are the FIRST person that I've read that their TB snapped at 120k or are you saying that you never changed it and it eventually snapped? How many miles did it snap?
It snapped at about 120k. I bought the car from a used car dealer who had told me that the belt had been changed by them before listing the vehicle. Since the 1UZ, 3UZ, and 2JZ VVTi motor are interference motors, the belt snap will cause you to have a few bent valves. If the vehicle was purchased used, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it as a precaution.
Old 06-09-14, 08:03 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
When you say lube the steering column, what do you mean? I've been having this issue where the steering(shaft?) Feels like it's loose and makes a clunky feeling when turning the wheel and going over bumps at low speed.

And I just replaced the radiator, the tb was just replaced, and I'm pretty sure the Water pump was too(which caused the radiator to crack). Belts look good, and I have no leaks.

Thanks for the help everyone
I read online about spraying some white lithium grease on the steering column so it doesn't make loud noticeable gear grinding sounds. It was listed as one of things to do at about 125k during the service.