GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where to buy new headlights..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 04:55 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Where to buy new headlights..

My headlights aren't complete crap yet, they still look clear during the day aside from some haze on parts, but at night when they're lit up you can really see how scuffed and scratched they are, anyway, I wanna buy new headlights, not like custom led ones or halo or something like that, just oem style halogens like what it has. You can buy new housings on sewell for like 5xx for the pair but I've seen aftermarket ones from like headlight depo or some other site go for 200 for both! Wondering if anyone's gotten these and how the quality turned out,or whether I should just buy oem. Don't wanna deal with any yellowing, btw I know I could wetsand polish, but I know it gets rid of the uv protectant and they'll just yellow faster and need to be done again every couple months. Thanks!
Old 06-06-14, 08:50 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OEM is the best option.

depo has decent aftermarket replacements.

if i were you i'd use it as an excuse to get a good set of projectors retrod in.

yellowing is kind of inevitable.
if you really wanted you could go get them clearcoated at your local body shop for superior protection.

have you tried wet sanding your current pair?
Old 06-06-14, 08:57 PM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to deal with yellowing, OEM is probably the route you want to go. It's a bit pricey to get some brand new ones, I would just go with some depos.
Old 06-06-14, 09:11 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by offbad
OEM is the best option.

depo has decent aftermarket replacements.

if i were you i'd use it as an excuse to get a good set of projectors retrod in.

yellowing is kind of inevitable.
if you really wanted you could go get them clearcoated at your local body shop for superior protection.

have you tried wet sanding your current pair?
I have not, although I've considered it and maybe getting some sealant. I figure if my headlights still look as they do now after 15 yrs, a new pair will look nice until I move onto another car. New shiny crystal clear headlights really make a difference when looking at our cars. I've heard great things about the sylvania headlight restoration kit, I might give it a try then save money on the side for a new oem pair on sewell if they yellow up again
Old 06-06-14, 10:19 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Before you go searching out Depo lights, know ahead of time that they only make replacement for non-HID lights. If your car has stock HID/auto-leveling, then you can get a pair from ebay from around $400~ish for the pair (I just bought some for my retrofit). Afterwards, you can clearcoat them or use clear/tinted film to keep the yellowing away.
Old 06-07-14, 02:50 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
Before you go searching out Depo lights, know ahead of time that they only make replacement for non-HID lights. If your car has stock HID/auto-leveling, then you can get a pair from ebay from around $400~ish for the pair (I just bought some for my retrofit). Afterwards, you can clearcoat them or use clear/tinted film to keep the yellowing away.
I've only got the halogen headlights, which I've discovered are a lot harder to find and actually tend to be more expensive half the time which is odd
Old 06-07-14, 07:44 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
I've only got the halogen headlights, which I've discovered are a lot harder to find and actually tend to be more expensive half the time which is odd
That's odd I can find dozens online. I think only Toyota makes the HID ones and they are hella expensive. But ya anyways, I bought aftermarket OEM style halogen ones for around $200 brand new off eBay and they look and work great. Few years now and no yellowing. Even the original OEM ones can yellow (mine did) so don't get too caught in that. The aftermarket ones I got I believe is made by a company called Eagle Eyes. They look just like the OEM ones.

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 06-07-14 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-07-14, 02:42 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought mines off www.sewellparts.com and they were worth every penny!! Yes I ended up paying like nearly $700. But I have a 2001 GS430 where they come HID only. Think the GS300 ones are cheaper... But sometimes if you search patiently you might be able to find some on eBay.... Authenticity... IDK... I recommend Sewell Parts!
Old 06-07-14, 05:59 PM
daj430
Driver

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
I bought mines off www.sewellparts.com and they were worth every penny!! Yes I ended up paying like nearly $700. But I have a 2001 GS430 where they come HID only. Think the GS300 ones are cheaper... But sometimes if you search patiently you might be able to find some on eBay.... Authenticity... IDK... I recommend Sewell Parts!
Did you just get the housins of the headlights meaning no bulbs or anything cause i'm looking for headlights also but I have a 430 also..
Old 06-07-14, 09:30 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
That's odd I can find dozens online. I think only Toyota makes the HID ones and they are hella expensive. But ya anyways, I bought aftermarket OEM style halogen ones for around $200 brand new off eBay and they look and work great. Few years now and no yellowing. Even the original OEM ones can yellow (mine did) so don't get too caught in that. The aftermarket ones I got I believe is made by a company called Eagle Eyes. They look just like the OEM ones.
I think I've seen those on eBay, worried about the quality but glad to hear from someone who got them, 200 isn't bad at all I may go that route
Old 06-07-14, 11:10 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ur lucky, their are NO oem style aftermarket HID headlights...
Old 06-08-14, 08:32 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by daj430
Did you just get the housins of the headlights meaning no bulbs or anything cause i'm looking for headlights also but I have a 430 also..
Yes I got the HID compatible ones. All I did when I installed them was transfer the HID components from my old lights to new ones. Then after that everything was all good. It's almost been 2 years since I've installed them and they still look CRYSTAL CLEAR. Like I said before, it was worth every penny. Just keep Windex in the trunk, always keep em clean, and they'll last very long.