Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Intermittent Steering Wheel Vibration

Old 06-04-14, 10:49 PM   #1
GS4hunnit
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Steering Wheel Vibration Coming In Waves

I noticed this intermittent vibration when I took the car out on the freeway today. About 70-80MPH I would get this intermittent shake, and at first I thought it was the road surface but it would phase in and out. After 70MPH, you can start to feel it come in and gets stronger and slowly fades going at that constant speed. However, I did have steering wheel vibrations from about 50-60MPH and smooth sailing any speed faster than that up until installing the ADUS Poly caster arm bushings and alignment the day prior to noticing the intermittent shaking. Now, the vibrations at that speed are gone and now comes in waves at 70-80MPH. If this helps, I did paint my wheels 2k miles ago and from what I remember that's when the vibration from 50-60MPH became noticeable.

Fresh aignment
Poly caster arm bushings
Bilstein Sports 500mi ago
New tires 3k miles ago
Replaced tie rods and LBJ 20k ago
Poly steering rack and F/R sway bushings

Thanks in advance.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by GS4hunnit; 06-05-14 at 08:07 AM..
GS4hunnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 08:51 AM   #2
JJaySilver
Driver

I had that same problem until I replaced both my front tires. Now I can go 120 on the freeway without a single vibration, SMOOTH sailing . I've been down that road where I've bought brand new tires and it turned out to be defective. But try balancing the tires in front. If the problem still occurs, then rotate the front wheels to the rear and rear to the front.
Old 06-05-14, 10:28 AM   #3
offbad
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)

did you brake super hard/suddenly recently?
offbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 10:43 AM   #4
GS4hunnit
Driver

offbad, are you implying that my rotors could be warped? Wouldn't I feel vibrations during braking as well though? I'm hoping so hard they're not my tires either.
Old 06-05-14, 11:02 AM   #5
JJaySilver
Driver

I notice that braking hard and having your tires skid would cause uneven wear, but I don't think it would cause vibrations at high speeds. I had to brake hard and maneuver out of the way of a car that ran a stop sign. Once I started driving, I felt it hopping a bit, but it would go away after a week, no vibrations.
Old 06-05-14, 12:06 PM   #6
offbad
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS4hunnit View Post
offbad, are you implying that my rotors could be warped? Wouldn't I feel vibrations during braking as well though? I'm hoping so hard they're not my tires either.
no i was implying the tires might have a flat spot somewhere if you had hit the brakes real hard recently like freeway speed to 0 in a short amount of time.
offbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 12:26 PM   #7
Mike_1GO
Pole Position
Trader Score: (2)

most likely the reason why you noticed vibration after you painted your wheels is you might have unknowingly removed a wheel weight that was there to balance the wheel/tire. otherwise, paint alone will not have such a strong effect where you will feel vibration. balance your front wheels again, make sure the balancing machine is correctly set to your exact wheel dimensions (wheel not tire) and that both sides register 0/0 on the machine meaning that the wheel/tire is balanced. many tire shops are careless and do not readjust their machine for different size wheels.
Mike_1GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 12:37 PM   #8
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Sicily_Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaySilver View Post
I notice that braking hard and having your tires skid would cause uneven wear, but I don't think it would cause vibrations at high speeds. I had to brake hard and maneuver out of the way of a car that ran a stop sign. Once I started driving, I felt it hopping a bit, but it would go away after a week, no vibrations.
Yea it usually takes about a week I've noticed with flat spots then they work themselves out and the wheel is fine after that, OP I would wait a week if it's still doin it I would re balance then go from there..

"HYPE IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER"
DosyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 01:06 PM   #9
Behemoth7
Pole Position

I had a vibration around 60-70mph, a road force balancing took all of the vibration away. I would start there
Behemoth7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 09:17 PM   #10
GS4hunnit
Driver

No I haven't had to brake hard enough to lock up the tires. I will however look into getting them balanced. It just doesn't seem to be the usual symptoms.Thanks all!
Old 06-05-14, 09:17 PM