GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bought a "salvage" auction GS...turned out surpising

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-14, 10:36 AM
LEX_GS4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

says it in the title
Old 06-04-14, 10:47 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by krisch
says it in the title
I get that. But how? What happened to it? All I see is rear end damage and high mileage. The damage is certainly fixable but it wouldn't cost more than the worth of the car. Frame damage?????
Old 06-04-14, 11:12 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frame could have been damaged from that rear end hit.

BUT I still can't see where it says that this particular car is classified as salvage.
OP said he bought this car from auction that sells salvage cars not that this car is salvage.
I admit you can make conclusions from that but the title says "salvage" so...

How is it OP, was this particular car classified as salvage?
Old 06-04-14, 02:39 PM
SiCcNeSs
Rookie

A vehicle might be considered “totaled” by an insurer even though the cost of repair is less than its value before the accident.
Old 06-04-14, 03:03 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

SiCcNeSs is correct. An insurer will salvage a car if the estimated repair exceeds a percentage of the value. For example, if the car books at $10,000, the insurer will most likely consider the car a total loss if the cost of repair is around $5,000. At that point, the insurer pays out the car owner and sells the car to an auction yard to recoup some of their costs. Here in CA, insurers often give you the opportunity to buy your car back for a cheap price. In that case, they will pay you out minus what you buy the car for. If a car is bought at an auction or back from the insurer after a total loss, the car can be re-registered as a 'salvage title' vehicle. Usually salvage title vehicles are not appraised as high as a clean title vehicle. Also Carmax will not buy them from customers.
Old 06-05-14, 07:05 PM
RainyGS
Driver School Candidate

Thats crazy. Nice find for sure. If you keep up with the maintenance, you will get over 300k no problem. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-05-14, 10:45 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kcook700
SiCcNeSs is correct. An insurer will salvage a car if the estimated repair exceeds a percentage of the value. For example, if the car books at $10,000, the insurer will most likely consider the car a total loss if the cost of repair is around $5,000. At that point, the insurer pays out the car owner and sells the car to an auction yard to recoup some of their costs. Here in CA, insurers often give you the opportunity to buy your car back for a cheap price. In that case, they will pay you out minus what you buy the car for. If a car is bought at an auction or back from the insurer after a total loss, the car can be re-registered as a 'salvage title' vehicle. Usually salvage title vehicles are not appraised as high as a clean title vehicle. Also Carmax will not buy them from customers.
Thanks for the info!
So it appears that the rear end repair costs are enough to make this car as salvage.
Or atleast the insurer thinks that.
Old 06-07-14, 02:31 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Very good pickup man! I'm glad you got all the service records. Makes car a whole lot easier to deal with. Trunk repair shouldn't be too expensive. Look around read on here for resources! Good luck bro! Please post more pics!
Old 06-07-14, 08:09 PM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering, how much did you pay for this salvage gs?
Old 06-08-14, 01:15 AM
bjlisiono
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

great find..Congrats!
Old 06-08-14, 08:52 PM
JimBobNC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Titan: I see you are in NC. Be sure and check out the self-service junk yards in your area. Google "pull a part", "pick n pull" and "pull it yourself". Foss and LKQ are good places to look also. I am new to Lexus ownership, so I can't provide any tips.
Old 06-10-14, 02:41 PM
titangts
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JimBobNC
Titan: I see you are in NC. Be sure and check out the self-service junk yards in your area. Google "pull a part", "pick n pull" and "pull it yourself". Foss and LKQ are good places to look also. I am new to Lexus ownership, so I can't provide any tips.

Thanks guys! I am a pull apart guru lol. These cars are NEVER in local junk yards. You migh find a few sc300's or first gen gs300. I already picked up some new tails and a silver trunk from two guys off this forum.

The car has chassis damage like I stated. The tail is bent in. My buddy is going to start on the pull this week. I'll post pics. Again, I know it'll never be perfect, but I should be able to squeez "decent". I can't wait to finish it and clean/wax it. The condition is astonishing to be honest!

I'm selling the my LS430 here in a week or two so this wil be my "beater" lol.
Old 06-13-14, 04:20 AM
titangts
Pit Crew

One hour of my time and a come-a-long. Not complaining...

Bought a "salvage" auction GS...turned out surpising-forumrunner_20140613_071928.png
Old 06-13-14, 04:36 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Wow that was fast. Looks good.
How badly was the rear end bent? Or was it bent at all?

Edit: I just noticed that the bumper still needs to be replaced. Almost fooled me.
Old 06-13-14, 05:37 AM
titangts
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lutkis
Wow that was fast. Looks good.
How badly was the rear end bent? Or was it bent at all?

Edit: I just noticed that the bumper still needs to be replaced. Almost fooled me.
lol yea, I'll do the bumper little later. i pulled it out about 1.30". If you look at the driver side trunk gap its larger. Did as good as i could for what i used and having next to no experience with pulling sheet metal lol. Pictures look a tad better than real life, but good god its so much improved. Once i do the bumper though, it'll fool many.

Quick Reply: Bought a "salvage" auction GS...turned out surpising