GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Keyfob Problem

Old 06-01-14, 08:05 PM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyfob Problem

My mom has a 01 GS430 and just recently the keyfob doesn't like to work. I've already searched and read through numerous threads, but everything I found hasn't solved the problem.

The keyfob worked perfectly fine until a few weeks ago. Sometimes it will work and other times it would do nothing.

I'm pretty sure its not the keyfob since the red light blinks every time I push a button and I already changed the battery and tried the other master key, both of them only work occasionally.

Also it can't be the door actuators because I just replaced them and that doesn't explain why the trunk button doesn't work either.

I checked the fuse boxes under the hood, on the driver side kick panel and the passenger side kick panel and all of the fuses are okay. I also tried reprogramming the keyfob by doing the "pedal dance" and it still only works occasionally.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the receiver is acting up? I'm not sure if its a separate unit, or it's all together with the ECU. Has anyone else ever dealt with this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-14, 07:08 PM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

anybody else have this problem?
Old 06-07-14, 11:16 PM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

Bump for any answers?
Old 06-08-14, 12:31 PM
D3V3LOP3R
Driver

Have you considered maybe that the fob needs a new battery?
Old 06-08-14, 03:33 PM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

I already mentioned in my first post that I changed the batteries in both keyfobs.
Old 06-08-14, 07:40 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

tried replacing the car battery?
Old 06-08-14, 10:38 PM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

It's a few years old, and I don't have any problems starting the car but I'll check it with a voltmeter when I get a chance.

Can a weak battery cause these problems?
Old 06-09-14, 03:39 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

um, have you tried to reprogram the key again? get a fresh new code in.
Old 06-12-14, 01:21 PM
Briand_OH
Driver

Just a BTDT, on an 18-yr old Jeep's remotes, I've had to resolder the actual switch to the circuit board after years of use (its a kinda SMD). Perhaps another remote to rule out this kind of problem? YMMV.
Old 06-12-14, 01:49 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would take it to Lexus...
Old 06-12-14, 03:35 PM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
um, have you tried to reprogram the key again? get a fresh new code in.
I already tried that, it didn't help.

Originally Posted by Briand_OH
Just a BTDT, on an 18-yr old Jeep's remotes, I've had to resolder the actual switch to the circuit board after years of use (its a kinda SMD). Perhaps another remote to rule out this kind of problem? YMMV.
Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
I would take it to Lexus...
That's what I'm thinking, it's probably the receiver itself that's in the car. I already tried the other master key and it still doesn't work. The Texas heat could have undid one of the solders, I was hoping somebody would chime in about it. I read a thread about someone who had a similar problem on a rx330 and they replaced the receiver in the car, and it solved the problem.

I was hoping somebody would chime in about it, not trying to sound arrogant but everyone kept telling me to do the same things over and over again (reprogram key, replace batteries, etc.)

Anyways thanks for the response guys, I probably will take it to Lexus. Luckily my friend is a tech at Lexus so I'll ask him if he can take a look at it for me.
Old 06-12-14, 06:07 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blkaltezza
I already tried that, it didn't help.

That's what I'm thinking, it's probably the receiver itself that's in the car. I already tried the other master key and it still doesn't work. The Texas heat could have undid one of the solders, I was hoping somebody would chime in about it. I read a thread about someone who had a similar problem on a rx330 and they replaced the receiver in the car, and it solved the problem.

I was hoping somebody would chime in about it, not trying to sound arrogant but everyone kept telling me to do the same things over and over again (reprogram key, replace batteries, etc.)

Anyways thanks for the response guys, I probably will take it to Lexus. Luckily my friend is a tech at Lexus so I'll ask him if he can take a look at it for me.

Did the fob act up like this BEFORE u did the actuators? Because you have to make sure the actuator metal lever didn't come loose on the door handle, they both have to be secure or the alarm will not work or the locks no matter u do...
Old 06-12-14, 08:51 PM
blkaltezza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
Did the fob act up like this BEFORE u did the actuators? Because you have to make sure the actuator metal lever didn't come loose on the door handle, they both have to be secure or the alarm will not work or the locks no matter u do...
Not a single problem with the keyfob before I did the actuators, it was working fine for about 4 months after I replaced them. Right now the doors do lock and unlock, but sometimes when I push the buttons on the keyfob nothing happens. If I try again a few minutes later it'll work. Like I said sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Also when it doesn't work the trunk button doesn't work either so I'm pretty sure it's not the actuators.
Old 06-13-14, 09:00 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

How old is the cars battery? no NOT the fob battery but your vehicles, u never got back, if it's more than 2.5-3 years old replace it, are I getting the response back from the car when doing a proper program?

Last edited by DosyBoy; 06-13-14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-14-14, 01:42 PM
Briand_OH
Driver

In line with the vehicle batty query, you might try and removing the gnd cable and letting car reset itself. This also presents opportunity to recondition the terminals IMO. Just my $0.02.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyfob Problem