GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Projector headlight swap help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 08:56 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
Like I said, I was going based off of what I found through searching for about an hour while I was slow at work. Also, as per my previous message, I can't relate to any issue that anyone else has had since I, along with anyone I know, have never had any problems with them. But I guess we're lucky... is what it is. Much less, I'm only on HIDPlanet to gather information sporadically; it's not a forum I frequent often.

Anyway, where did you find the potted slim ballasts? Also, to follow-up with that question, did you pot them yourself or purchase them that way? I've been reading up and I'm guessing that the Denso's I had previously read about were having the cold weather issues as they weren't the potted version (as far as I know).

Lastly, Morimoto isn't excusive to TRS.
I had a member there pot them for me. I could've probably done it myself with the chemicals but I didn't want to take any chances. I also agree with the poster below me DDM may be cheap, but they fire up when they need to.

As far as morimoto, trs is the north american distributor for ALL morimoto products. So either you know something trs doesn't know or trs is lying with that statement. Is even on their website. Which one is it lol? Can you name any other distributor of morimoto products since you made that statement?

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 05-30-14 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 09:07 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sicilygs4
you have to use the stock ballast that came with the car and stock bulbs d2r, i'm assuming your aftermarket lights have a rubber boot cover? Slice a slit in the middle for your stock hid ballast wire and run it through, silicone and or tape it so no moisture gets in and your gonna have to find a spot to ziptie the heavy oem ballasts
i did try using the new headlight assembly with the factory ballast,
but would not work, i tested the current going to the bul and there is power going to the bulb from ballast but wont turn on, but if i bypass the ballast then the headlights turn on,
i dont know alot about h.id. But it looks like the lightbulb that came with the blackhousing beadlights are not h.i..d

if i buy h.i.d bulbs that fit the headlights and hook it up to my (toyota) ballast do u guys think it will work,
Old 05-30-14, 09:10 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by northstyle
if you purchased the ones from ebay (or most other companies), then those headlights are not setup for hids. You'll have to get a new ballast that supports whatever type of bulb it may be (most likely the same as a non-hid 2gs), and purchase new bulbs to match. It'd probably be easiest to purchase a complete hid kit from ddm or trs.
i cant just buy new h.i.d bulbs and hook it up to my current ballast?
Old 05-30-14, 10:12 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy D2r bulbs and hook em up to your oem ballast, I got a pair of d2r 6000k sitting at home new in the box $25 shipped u can have em...your new bulbs that came with the new headlights they have wires coming out of them right? Are u sure u bought hid compatable headlights? Can u take pics of what u received in the mail so I can help u further.. If your stock hid bulbs worked in the stock hid ballast why won't they light up now?

Last edited by DosyBoy; 05-30-14 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-30-14, 10:23 AM
TigerBrand
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope. Your ballast will only accept d2r and d2s. You can probably get an adapter that will plug into the d2s female from your ballast and convert to amp. (which I assume is what comes with the ebay projectors) You would use the bulb that came with the ebay headlights.

edit: ...just searched and I found this http://www.theretrofitsource.com/acc...l#.U4i8OPldV1A

how did you get the low beams to come on in the first place?
Old 05-30-14, 10:35 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TigerBrand
nope. Your ballast will only accept d2r and d2s. You can probably get an adapter that will plug into the d2s female from your ballast and convert to amp. (which I assume is what comes with the ebay projectors) You would use the bulb that came with the ebay headlights.

edit: ...just searched and I found this http://www.theretrofitsource.com/acc...l#.U4i8OPldV1A

how did you get the low beams to come on in the first place?
I believe only his parking lights and turn signals turn on? How he bypassed and what I have no clue, he needs D2r or D2s with stock ballast and it will work...
Old 05-30-14, 01:14 PM
TigerBrand
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^but, I'm assuming, those bulbs will not fit in the ebay headlights
Old 05-30-14, 01:26 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigerbrand
^but, i'm assuming, those bulbs will not fit in the ebay headlights
thats right the h.i.d bulbs i had before will not fit on the new headlights,
i will post pix ....
Old 05-30-14, 01:41 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STREETGS
thats right the h.i.d bulbs i had before will not fit on the new headlights,
i will post pix ....
Some are longer than others, mine fit in my aftermarket projectors just fine... Yea post pics please
Old 05-30-14, 01:42 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE PROJECTORS ARE FOR NON-HID!!!
"SO THERE IS NO WAY I CAN USE H.I.D ON THEM???????

OK THIS IS THE H.I.D. BULB I HAD

THESE ARE THE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS I INSTALLED:

THESE ARE SIMILAR TO THE BULBS THAT CAME WITH THE PROJECTORS:

Last edited by STREETGS; 05-30-14 at 01:51 PM. Reason: ADDED MORE INFO
Old 05-30-14, 01:45 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...jL._SY355_.jpg
http://image.dhgate.com/albu_235433042_00/1.0x0.jpg
I don't have those lights u got but those are the same bulbs they gave me (the wire ones) and those with the ballast they gave me did not light up, so I used my oem bulbs and ballasts and they work great the output is actually sharper than my stock hid from lexus, I've never had a problem, I used the ballasts from the aftermarket for my fogs and they light right up.I guess u cannot use them then cause of melting issues, but I thought all projectors were hid compatable?

Last edited by DosyBoy; 05-30-14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 02:04 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Question

Originally Posted by sicilygs4
i don't have those lights u got but those are the same bulbs they gave me (the wire ones) and those with the ballast they gave me did not light up, so i used my oem bulbs and ballasts and they work great the output is actually sharper than my stock hid from lexus, i've never had a problem, i used the ballasts from the aftermarket for my fogs and they light right up.i guess u cannot use them then cause of melting issues, but i thought all projectors were hid compatable?
that is exactly what i thought too....
Didnt bother reading the small print " for non-hid"

sooo what are my choices?
Old 05-30-14, 02:33 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

that is exactly what i thought too....
Didnt bother reading the small print " for non-hid"

sooo what are my choices?
Send them back and buy the plain halo hid compatable ones, none of those strip lights or nothing, I think u will be happier with just the halo look anyway, the halos light up for your running lights...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 05-30-14 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 05:16 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
I had a member there pot them for me. I could've probably done it myself with the chemicals but I didn't want to take any chances. I also agree with the poster below me DDM may be cheap, but they fire up when they need to.

As far as morimoto, trs is the north american distributor for ALL morimoto products. So either you know something trs doesn't know or trs is lying with that statement. Is even on their website. Which one is it lol? Can you name any other distributor of morimoto products since you made that statement?
Yeah, I've said previously that the DDM's were likely one of the better all-around parts to get. So I guess that's one thing we agree on

Anyway, saying that they're the only company who is a retailer, then saying they're the only N. American distributor aren't the same; both Black Flame Customs and HID Illusionz are retail seller of products from TRS. It's on their websites. Now whether or not they (TRS) are also distributing to the companies for the links I've provided is anyone's guess. The point is that if a company is a distributor, it doesn't necessarily mean that they also do retail sales. So, you tell me which one it is.

Amazon Amazon

http://www.flyryde.com/product/MORIM...E-BALLASTS-AMP

Anyway, thanks for the info about the Denso ballasts. The way you made it sound was that they were potted from the factory, so sorry if it was a bad interpretation on my part.
Old 05-30-14, 05:19 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro... I told you in the first post that they weren't HIDs. Go back and read what I said as the information on what to do is there. Either that, or send them back and get the HID compatible version as the poster above me said.

Or... just do a proper retrofit.

Quick Reply: Projector headlight swap help!!