GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Test between GS430, BMW540i, Mercedes E430 and VW Passat W8

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 06:59 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patronizing, Generalizing, Sarcasm?

Moi?
Old 02-18-03, 07:37 PM
gr8330
Rookie

Default seat bottom

I've noticed that the seat bottom is shorter on our Lexus than our BMW. When I drive the Lexus it takes a few miles before I get used to the seat. Anybody else notice this?
Old 02-18-03, 08:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

maybe i am small, the seats on my GS is so big
Old 02-18-03, 11:36 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I love the seats in my GS. The most comfortable seats that i have been in, compared to all the other cars that i have sat in. I could drive for hours being comletely comfortable and not having any back pain. The whole interior in the GS is PERFECT.
Old 02-18-03, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RNM GS3
I love the seats in my GS. The most comfortable seats that i have been in, compared to all the other cars that i have sat in. I could drive for hours being comletely comfortable and not having any back pain. The whole interior in the GS is PERFECT.
depends on how you see it. if you look for comfort, yes it's good but if you look for sport, the seat in the GS is a headache
Old 02-19-03, 12:15 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Im talking about comfort. I have to sit in traffic for 2+hours each day going 10mph , so I need as much comfort as i can get. NYC traffic is horrible, so sport isnt really important to me when it comes to seats.
Old 02-19-03, 05:31 AM
Benny
Rookie

the gs seat is definitely not on the cutting edge of sport design, as one of the fastest production 4 door cars on the road it may as well have a bench seat across the front. nothing like taking a corner in the gs and sliding all over the place. lets not forget the fact that both cars are of the highest calibre. we could all be driving accords with 'fart cans' and 4' wings on the back.
Old 02-19-03, 06:23 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I think the seats in the GS are the worst. Seriously, the seats in my 94 MX6 and my wife's A6 crush these seats. I am pretty tall with pretty damn long legs. The bottom cushions are too short and do not give enough of an angle. I too drive in NYC traffic, and often I will put my wallet under the thigh of my right leg to give it some extra angle.

I have read about Lexus seats in several car magazine reviews and many of them comment on the small cushion. It seems to me that Lexus should make a seat for the taller American rather then the stock seat for the short Asian (not trying to by stereotypical or racist here, it was also mentioned in one of the car mags).

My favorite seats are the sport seats offered by MBW or Audi. My next car is definately going to have that option, and if Lexus doesn't offer it then it will not be on my list. I drive way too many miles to deal with this simple issue again.
Old 02-19-03, 07:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Funny reading the widely divergent opinions. I'm tall with long legs too and I love the GS driver's seat. In fact, on long distance driving I've never been in a more comfortable car. After driving 200 miles for example I feel zero discomfort which has never been the case with my previous cars. I have my GS seat set at minimum height and farthest back.

As far as slipping all over the place, I think that's a giant exaggeration unless you're a midget. I don't slide at all! There are side bolsters, ya know! They're not sports car sized but then I don't want them that big. If you want a sports car, buy a sports car. The GS is NOT a sports car.

And yes it's fast, but neither the stock suspension, steering, or the interior were designed to really drive the car fast. Now with mods or if you're 1SickLex it's a different story. 1Sick now has the mods too :eek:.
Old 02-19-03, 10:16 AM
Benny
Rookie

at 6'3 i don't boast to be a midget, but sliding around does become an issue. but like always, bit, you are correct, the gs isn't a sports car. so how is it being compared to the Beemer?
Old 02-19-03, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well i have the acura tl-s, the seats have much better lateral support compared to the GS. and if you sit in the IS man that's tight
Old 02-19-03, 11:09 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Thought I would poll the above although the categories didn't work out.

Takes a while to get used to - 1
Seat is big - 1
Love the seats - 2
Seat is oriented to comfort - 1
Seat is the worst - 1

To tell you the truth, looks like Lexus hit it about right. I vote for "love the seats" as well. I have had sport seats in the past (like bilsteins, Recaros just hold a special place for me) but once you get past maximum lateral grip, the Lexus seats are amazing. I have to agree wth bit, on several trips from NoCal to SoCal, for me a trip of about 350 miles, I can get out of the car and feel just fine. After about ten miles in my friends 540i Sport at Christmas driving into the central valley, I had to go back to the Lexus, just too uncomfortable (I am still TC, the bimmer, of course, is a better car). Maybe the biggest point to take from this is that there are a lot of different body styles with different driving environments and driving preferences and the seat is designed to accomodate the greatest cross section possible. If you love the Lexus but hate the seat, I would look into a replacement Recaro at least for the drivers seat. My guess is they will match, or come very close, to matching the leather (won't be cheap but for goodness sake, it is a Lexus). Then again, the best lateral grip Recaro is the cloth, wonder where they get that stuff from.
Old 02-20-03, 01:08 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I still think the seat would be much better if the lower cushion were just a little bit longer.

Sure, a couple of you guys have long legs too. But you have to remember, I have three long legs to contend with...
Old 02-20-03, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Benny
... but like always, bit, you are correct ...
Let me know how much I owe you.
Old 02-20-03, 08:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by theanimala
But you have to remember, I have three long legs to contend with...
TMI.

Quick Reply: Test between GS430, BMW540i, Mercedes E430 and VW Passat W8