GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need opinions on aftermarket motor/tranny mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 04:56 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need opinions on aftermarket motor/tranny mounts

Hi guys, I have bad motor and tranny mounts and I'm trying to decide whether I should try and install aftermarket mounts or just shell out the money for OEM mounts.

I'm having a shop do the work for me, and they said that for most japanese vehicles they have worked with, when they replace the OEM mounts with aftermarket mounts, it not only doesn't fix the problem, it sometimes makes it worse.

What are your guys opinions on aftermarket mounts? Any one tried installing aftermarket mounts? I've read on here about people saying that the aftermarket mounts they bought were better than the OEM mounts, but the shop is telling me otherwise...

Thanks!
Old 05-21-14, 07:06 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with Megans because it was the only one I found who makes a stiffer mount. Feels the same but technically should last longer. Usually I hate Megans because they're a "economical" brand from taiwan but pretty hard to F up motor mounts

So if you want stiffer ones its a good option but if you just want oem style ones then just get oem
Old 05-22-14, 06:47 AM
tereck
Driver

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
Hi guys, I have bad motor and tranny mounts and I'm trying to decide whether I should try and install aftermarket mounts or just shell out the money for OEM mounts.

I'm having a shop do the work for me, and they said that for most japanese vehicles they have worked with, when they replace the OEM mounts with aftermarket mounts, it not only doesn't fix the problem, it sometimes makes it worse.

What are your guys opinions on aftermarket mounts? Any one tried installing aftermarket mounts? I've read on here about people saying that the aftermarket mounts they bought were better than the OEM mounts, but the shop is telling me otherwise...

Thanks!
I had the same issue thinking Wich way I was gonna take. Everyone told me to go with OEM mounts no matter what. Specially with the prices of mechanics around so I went OEM instead aftermarket. Can't go wrong with OEM. Here my old mounts at 205k

I need opinions on aftermarket motor/tranny mounts-forumrunner_20140522_064731.png
Old 05-22-14, 06:54 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I work at oreillys and motor mounts under store discount are a fraction of the price, I might give then a try but oem motor mounts are what I really want. 222k on what is most likely originals, I can feel it, -_-
Old 05-22-14, 08:38 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

They aren't THAT expensive if you use your discount on sewell
Old 05-22-14, 10:41 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
I went with Megans because it was the only one I found who makes a stiffer mount. Feels the same but technically should last longer. Usually I hate Megans because they're a "economical" brand from taiwan but pretty hard to F up motor mounts

So if you want stiffer ones its a good option but if you just want oem style ones then just get oem
Exactly, op, any aftermarket mounts will be fine it really doesent matter
Old 05-22-14, 11:44 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

i went after market on both, replaced all 3

6k miles and still no issues.

whatever floats your boat.
Old 05-22-14, 02:13 PM
josey88
Driver

Toyota OEM is the best there is . That is factory quality guarantee . Aftermarket , well ... so it is your choice .
Old 05-22-14, 02:28 PM
josey88
Driver

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
They aren't THAT expensive if you use your discount on sewell
Do we as members have a discount in Sewell ? how can I obtain that discount ?
Old 05-22-14, 04:09 PM
tereck
Driver

Originally Posted by josey88

I got mines OEM from lexus of South atlanta. Go online and look for theounts. They can ship them to u front door. They have them for 99 dollars. So 2 will be 198.54 plus 21.75 shipping . Total 220.29
Good buy right there
Old 05-22-14, 04:11 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Join Sewell it should ask you if youre a CL member, enter your username and there you go.
Old 05-22-14, 04:12 PM
tereck
Driver

[QUOTE="tereck;8549425"]
I got mines OEM from lexus of South atlanta. Go online and look for theounts. They can ship them to u front door. They have them for 99 dollars. So 2 will be 198.54 plus 21.75 shipping . Total 220.29
Good buy right there. Then my mechanic charged me 200 for labor. So 420 total but new mounts = soft ride and seems like has more torque to me. Then took the car to service the transmission. Flush the system and new oil . Woow what a difference like a brand new car. Soft shifting and faster and o boy why I didn't done in the past. Good luck
Old 05-22-14, 04:14 PM
tereck
Driver

Good buy right there. Then my mechanic charged me 200 for labor. So 420 total but new mounts = soft ride and seems like has more torque to me. Then took the car to service the transmission. Flush the system and new oil . Woow what a difference like a brand new car. Soft shifting and faster and o boy why I didn't done in the past. Good luck
Old 05-22-14, 06:50 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah new motor mounts and transmission mount will reduce vibrations by a lot and will almost make the car feel brand new if it doesn't make it feel brand new,
Old 08-09-17, 09:55 PM
LexLugrDjK
Driver School Candidate

Default engine and trans mounts?

Originally Posted by offbad
i went after market on both, replaced all 3

6k miles and still no issues.

whatever floats your boat.
Would you happen to have a walk through process?

Quick Reply: I need opinions on aftermarket motor/tranny mounts