Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Steering wheel is real tight and hard to turn!

Old 05-16-14, 04:18 PM   #1
DWitis
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Steering wheel is real tight and hard to turn!

Hi Lexus Experts!
I have a 1999 GS300 with 121k mileage purchased in Nov 2013. I rarely drive the car, at most 3 times a week. The steering wheel was turning fine when first purchased off previous owner. It was a little loose after making street corner turns. Then suddenly power steering seemed to have died out, it was like a workout to just turn the wheel at an intersection. I thought power steering pump was done for, but I replaced the PS pump with a used OEM pump purchased from Aliga here on the forum. Been doing the turkey baster method of sucking out fluid and putting in recommended ATF fluid in every week. So as of now driving in motion and hitting some gas to the pedal everything seems fine, but only in a stand-still positions like getting ready to parallel park or leaving a parking spot it feels like I am turning a 50 lb steering wheel! Any advices/ideas/suggestions of what can be the cause of this or a fix would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all in advance!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
DWitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 11:59 AM   #2
Lexusjg1
Rookie

My power steering pump went out before. When I took it to the shop to have it replaced. They told me there was more than one oem power steering pump made for the 1998-2005 Gs series, and they had to get the correct one. Maybe the one you bought wasn't the correct pump. Just a thought. I never checked my self to see if they made more than one pump, but my car has been fine with the pump installed over five years ago. Maybe you can research that and find out. Hope that helps.
Lexusjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 04:26 PM   #3
tereck
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWitis View Post
Hi Lexus Experts!
I have a 1999 GS300 with 121k mileage purchased in Nov 2013. I rarely drive the car, at most 3 times a week. The steering wheel was turning fine when first purchased off previous owner. It was a little loose after making street corner turns. Then suddenly power steering seemed to have died out, it was like a workout to just turn the wheel at an intersection. I thought power steering pump was done for, but I replaced the PS pump with a used OEM pump purchased from Aliga here on the forum. Been doing the turkey baster method of sucking out fluid and putting in recommended ATF fluid in every week. So as of now driving in motion and hitting some gas to the pedal everything seems fine, but only in a stand-still positions like getting ready to parallel park or leaving a parking spot it feels like I am turning a 50 lb steering wheel! Any advices/ideas/suggestions of what can be the cause of this or a fix would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all in advance!
Have u though about the steering rack? I know for sure when the pump goes out u have to replace at the same time the rack and the high pressure line? For prevention a course . When pump goes out its the indication about the system needs attention in general. Good luck
tereck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 09:28 PM   #4
k7q
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (27)

it's your pump or i think there is a screen in the reservoir that's dirty. so the PS fluid isnt flowing fast enough when your at a stop. that's why when you give it some gas it flows faster and your steering loosens up.
Old 05-17-14, 09:38 PM   #5
SicilyGS4
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Sicily_Bronze

I would switch pumps buddy, sheesh that has to suck...

"HYPE IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER"
SicilyGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 11:19 AM   #6
DWitis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I had a re-manufactured pump installed once and steering was still tight. Then I went to Aliga and got an used OEM pump, installed that and steering have still been tight. After 2-3 weekly siphon method of the fluid, it is slightly getting better. I had a mechanic tell me it could be the pump as well but also that is is a common problem on the 2nd gen's. He also suggested of installing a PS pump cooler? .. Do anybody have that installed or ever heard of such cooler? I am torn and stuck on this problem and would like to fix this ASAP to prevent any further damage to suspension/steering component.
Old 05-19-14, 02:31 PM   #7
marshun
Pole Position

after gettin my gs shipped here my alignment was a bit off (****ing shipping company) and it made my steering feel heavy. might be something you want to consider

also, i put a magnefilter on my power steering line since the car is gettin old. you might want to consider the same
marshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 02:57 PM   #8
bonesnj0
Driver School Candidate

I had same problem changed Fluid it helped then I change Perfect looking belt Bingo fixed!
bonesnj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 04:38 PM   #9
DWitis
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshun View Post
after gettin my gs shipped here my alignment was a bit off (****ing shipping company) and it made my steering feel heavy. might be something you want to consider also, i put a magnefilter on my power steering line since the car is gettin old. you might want to consider the same
Car is aging as we are all only getting younger! So adding a magnefilter on the power steering line made your steering wheel feel normal and not tight like trying to turn a hydrant with your bare hands? Which 'line'are you referring to for the filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesnj0 View Post
I had same problem changed Fluid it helped then I change Perfect looking belt Bingo fixed!
Bones! If u hit BINGO then I would really need that tip that get that FIX! What are u referring to as the 'perfect looking belt'?
Old 05-19-14, 06:26 PM   #10
marshun
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWitis View Post
Car is aging as we are all only getting younger! So adding a magnefilter on the power steering line made your steering wheel feel normal and not tight like trying to turn a hydrant with your bare hands? Which 'line'are you referring to for the filter?
ive done the flush with just pouring through atf and having the return just drain into a bucket. the magnefilter is just insurance. i know i still have the original pump on there too. i just hit 135k so i didnt want to give this thing any reason to quit. plus the filter is 15 bucks. cant go wrong. i got one on the transmission line too

as for the installation. i put it on the return line cause i didnt want any restriction on the fluid going to the pump itself

hope that helps ya out some
marshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 06:26 PM

Tags
steering, tight, turn, wheel