GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Questions about key replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 05:37 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Questions about key replacement

My wife somehow managed to literally break one of the original keys to my '03 430 in half (don't ask.....haha). Interestingly enough, the key as well as the remote part both still work.

However, rolling around with a key that is literally duct taped together is not a good look for anyone, so I was going to get another key to replace the broken one. As of right now, I still have another original factory key, as well as the original valet key (both locked safely away from my wife).

I saw this thread and it seems like I should be able to program a new key myself:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...need-help.html

Two questions: What's the best place to acquire another key? And can I program it if one of my door actuators (front passenger) is bad?
Old 05-16-14, 08:22 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have the guts and the blade still intact, just buy a new case for it (ebay).

i bought a spare on ebay (4c uncut without the remote fxns) and programmed it myself.
had a key shop down the way cut it for 20 dollars. most of the ebay listings provide instructions too.
total cost $25 materials, 10 mins labor

the door lock actuator doesn't affect programming
Old 05-16-14, 08:49 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Key has to be laser cut 99.9% of key shops cannot do this, what I did was bought one with the key shell on ebay took out the uncut blade, placed mine in the plastic fob with some gorilla glue epoxy and closed it up, works perfect and will save u a lot of money...
Old 05-16-14, 09:45 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

I do still have the blade and the guts, so maybe eBay is the way to go.

Here's what the key looks like right now:

Does all of the plastic on the blade need to come off before I put it into the new case?
Old 05-16-14, 11:30 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

yes, all of the plastic needs to come off.

if you're worried on durability there's like an 80 dollar case that promises indestructability

http://www.eternitykey.com/

edit**
looks like your weak point was the screw. if the screw comes loose there's too much play there and it snaps.

or if you're not worried about remote capabilities get the one piece design.
Old 05-16-14, 12:38 PM
vbacky
Rookie

The sane thing happened to me.I bought a flip key case from ebay to replace it. 20 shipped.

Last edited by vbacky; 05-16-14 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-16-14, 12:43 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Cut that black plastic off the key, get one off ebay open it up do the same with the new one,theirs a little ridge of plastic on the new key that hold it, cut it off and remove the new blank key, put your key in the new one and seal with gorilla glue epoxy where u cut the new one, close it and put the screw in, done... Btw flip keys are trash use that one trust me I've had them all...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 05-16-14 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-16-14, 02:43 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

I you want a key that you will never have to replace go to your local Lexus dealer and ask for our Eternity Key. check out our video at www.eternitykey.com and you will understand why this will be the last key you ever have to buy. Ask for it by name Eternity Key
Old 05-16-14, 02:51 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by offbad
yes, all of the plastic needs to come off.

if you're worried on durability there's like an 80 dollar case that promises indestructability

http://www.eternitykey.com/

edit**
looks like your weak point was the screw. if the screw comes loose there's too much play there and it snaps.

or if you're not worried about remote capabilities get the one piece design.
Ironically, the screw had fallen out the day before. I was traveling for work, and was going to pick up a new screw at the dealership when this disaster hit.
Old 05-16-14, 04:04 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eternity Key
I you want a key that you will never have to replace go to your local Lexus dealer and ask for our Eternity Key. check out our video at www.eternitykey.com and you will understand why this will be the last key you ever have to buy. Ask for it by name Eternity Key
I PM this guy to order as there are no dealers in my area and he replies 1 MONTH later and refers me to a dealer about 1 hour drive from me. I go there and the dealership said they've never even dealt with you guys. What a guy! Thanks you ****!
Old 05-16-14, 04:59 PM
vbacky
Rookie

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
Cut that black plastic off the key, get one off ebay open it up do the same with the new one,theirs a little ridge of plastic on the new key that hold it, cut it off and remove the new blank key, put your key in the new one and seal with gorilla glue epoxy where u cut the new one, close it and put the screw in, done... Btw flip keys are trash use that one trust me I've had them all...
I ordered two. one broke. the other one still going strong a year now.
Old 05-16-14, 05:49 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Lol the eternity key is cool but it has nothing to do with the plastic breaking, just the key twists and twists in a vice... The plastic is the problem but theirs nothing u can do I guess...
Old 05-16-14, 06:29 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
Lol the eternity key is cool but it has nothing to do with the plastic breaking, just the key twists and twists in a vice... The plastic is the problem but theirs nothing u can do I guess...

The Eternity key is the whole thing (case and blade). They're showing in the video that the key blade will break first before the plastic. Basically lasting forever.
Old 05-16-14, 06:30 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Does it matter if the case is a generic one, like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Uncut-Ignition-Master-Key-Remote-Fob-Shell-Case-For-HYQ1512V-HYQ12BBT-/180991658034?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AGS430&hash=item2a23f18832&vxp=mtr

Or should I stick to the OEM kind?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Oem-Remote-Key-Replacement-Case-Shell-Uncut-For-Lexus-Short-Blade-W-Logo-/141288737028?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AGS430&hash=item20e5770904&vxp=mtr
Old 05-16-14, 07:00 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

most likely different quality of plastic... not that the OEM one is anything to brag about

Quick Reply: Questions about key replacement