GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door speaker baffles vs stock baffles

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 03:01 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Door speaker baffles vs stock baffles

Anyone compared after market baffles vs the stocks? Both with after market speakers of Course.

I'm asking cause I've seen some online with the mdf baffles and wondering how much if a difference there really is.
Old 05-13-14, 06:32 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marshun
Anyone compared after market baffles vs the stocks? Both with after market speakers of Course.

I'm asking cause I've seen some online with the mdf baffles and wondering how much if a difference there really is.
I wouldn't say I compared them side by side, but I did have stock speakers in stock baffles, then aftermarket alpine type s 4 inch speakers in the stock baffles, and now I have 6.5 inch JBL speakers in my aftermarket baffles over a few months time. The stock baffles work great but you are limited in bass reproduction because of the small 4" speaker, I would definitely upgrade to aftermarket baffles to fit either 5.25" or 6.5" speakers, obviously the bigger the speaker, the better the bass reproduction. 4 inch speakers blow in my opinion, but maybe I haven't found a really nice set yet. Hope that helps you out a little bit.

Get them here: http://car-speaker-adapters.com/
Old 05-13-14, 07:13 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I appreciate the reply.

Do you have pics if yours?
Are they 6x9 in the front and rear doors?

That set up sounds awesome.
Old 05-13-14, 07:47 AM
josey88
Driver

Man, how progress makes life easier ... 10 years ago when I did my speakers , there was no such thing as baffles/adapter kits ... I had to built them myself with 1/2 inch plywood .

Last edited by josey88; 05-13-14 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-13-14, 08:37 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Originally Posted by josey88
Man, how progress makes life easier ... 10 years ago when I did my speakers , there was no such thing as baffles/adapter kits ... I had to built them myself with 1/2 inch plywood .
I used 1/2" mdf at first because I knew I could make them, did it, found out my rear door wasn't completely sealed. The MDF got waterlogged and I could start to smell something, took the door panel off, and wow. I said I have to get some plastic ones made, luckily someone already had a write up and a link ( the link I posted). As for speaker size, no it is 6.5 inch speakers, it may be possible to fit a 6x9 speaker, but it would be an extremely tight fit with the allotted space. The adapters come in 5 1/4" and 6 1/2". and I don't currently have pictures on me, but the website has the pictures of the adapters, just imagine a speaker in them. They fit perfectly, they also make deeper adapters for deeper speakers for the fronts and rear, just have to select the option.
Old 05-13-14, 08:53 AM
josey88
Driver

Originally Posted by CharlieD93
I used 1/2" mdf at first because I knew I could make them, did it, found out my rear door wasn't completely sealed. The MDF got waterlogged and I could start to smell something, took the door panel off, and wow. I said I have to get some plastic ones made, luckily someone already had a write up and a link ( the link I posted). As for speaker size, no it is 6.5 inch speakers, it may be possible to fit a 6x9 speaker, but it would be an extremely tight fit with the allotted space. The adapters come in 5 1/4" and 6 1/2". and I don't currently have pictures on me, but the website has the pictures of the adapters, just imagine a speaker in them. They fit perfectly, they also make deeper adapters for deeper speakers for the fronts and rear, just have to select the option.
Yes, mdf can be tricky on water leakings , so that is why I used Plywood , which I sealed with a couple of coats of poly varnish . It weights more than the mdf but it is way more solid .
Because my speakers were bigger I cut not utilize the OEM plastic baffles at all .
I wanted the outside cover of the doors to look OEM normal and I was able to fit everything in and still look normal on the outside of the door . I used 1/2" plywood to make sure I cut fit the door cover on top of it correctly .
I also covered the inside of the out wall of the 4 doors with Dynamax up to the windows opening height , to improve acoustics... yes , it was a pain in the *** , lol... but I eliminated any possible speaker`s booming and also improved the cabin insulation from sound going out and coming in .

Last edited by josey88; 05-13-14 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-13-14, 09:02 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

i went 6.5" amped all the way around using those adapters

component in the fronts and co-ax in the rears
Old 05-13-14, 05:00 PM
josey88
Driver

Me too. My speakers are also round with a 6.5" diameter .
Old 05-14-14, 03:07 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, idk whatis wrong with my speaker setup, but I really feel more bass was achieved with my stock speakers. I have JL audio 5.25 in my doors and they aren't making me think it was worth the purchase. I think the stock speakers being enclosed in that plastic was much better.

My speakers now just have wood fabrication but they are just in the door. No enclosure or anything . maybe that messes with the harmonics. Low volume and no bass without it sounding like they are going to pop.

Eh forget my rant.
Old 05-14-14, 04:29 PM
josey88
Driver

Originally Posted by KingNasGS4
Honestly, idk whatis wrong with my speaker setup, but I really feel more bass was achieved with my stock speakers. I have JL audio 5.25 in my doors and they aren't making me think it was worth the purchase. I think the stock speakers being enclosed in that plastic was much better.

My speakers now just have wood fabrication but they are just in the door. No enclosure or anything . maybe that messes with the harmonics. Low volume and no bass without it sounding like they are going to pop.

Eh forget my rant.
You know , the fact that you can replace the speakers for bigger ones , doesn`t mean that they will sound better on just size alone .
OEM speakers are 2 ohms and the immense mayority of aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms , so if you don`t have an amp to match , right there along you have a loss of sound ., specially bass which is driven by power. Also, the speaker`s sensitivity is a factor with a low power amp . An 89db speaker would need more power than a 91db speaker . I know... the whole thing is very tricky , lol

Last edited by josey88; 05-14-14 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-14-14, 09:04 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually have a 4 ch MTX for those door speakers.

They just don't sound bassy (probably not a word )
Old 05-14-14, 09:57 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

could just be your JLs aren't meant to hit hard.

or they're underpowered.

have you tried tuning with your headunit and amp?
Old 05-15-14, 06:19 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

OK so who has a link to the aftermarket baffles?
Old 05-15-14, 06:39 AM
josey88
Driver

Originally Posted by angus
OK so who has a link to the aftermarket baffles?
The link is at the post #2 on this thread .
Old 05-15-14, 06:42 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, I see I did not read thoroughly enough! Is that the only company doing them? They do look a little flimsy and I wonder if it's just the pics or are the 3/4" spacers made with gaps that need to be sealed or?

Quick Reply: Door speaker baffles vs stock baffles