GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Adding a rear powered sunshade ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 08:01 AM
josey88
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a rear powered sunshade ?

If I would decide to install a rear powered sunshade on my 2000 GS400 ... is there a wiring connector for it or I would need to run all the wires to the front ?
Switches ... where to get them ?
The rear board panel , how to know where to cut it ? is it lined ?
I always wanted to add 2 things to my car that were missing , the wood steering wheel and the rear powered sunshade ... the steering wheel is on the way already so , after that is done I would like to tackle the sunshade.
I have plenty of time on my hands and if it is doable without an engineering degree I can do it . It would be very helpful if I can find the connections in the back of the car , but most likely on the 2000 GS they are not there .
Still, I am sure some guys have done this , so please, info is needed here . Thanks to all . ,

Last edited by josey88; 04-27-14 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-27-14, 09:24 AM
josey88
Driver

On the other hand , there is this manually simple sunshade on E bay . Cost is $40.00 or so and will do the same exact thing , but it is not OEM and it is manual .
Should I bother to go thru the much more expensive and cumbersome power sunshade ?
will it be worth the effort or just install the manual type and save a lot of money and trouble ...
I don`t want to put cheap alternatives on my car , but these power sunshades are tricky , according to what I have read .
Anyway , I am open to suggestions from the Forum .

Last edited by josey88; 04-27-14 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-27-14, 09:50 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Check out these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...y-curtain.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...i-get-one.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sunshades.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-sunshade.html
Old 04-27-14, 11:51 AM
josey88
Driver

Well... I think that if I finally decide , I am scratching the powered type ... too much trouble and money .
The only problem I see with the manual shade is that it will flip with the movement of the car (if it does it , buit I believe it will , since there is no structure to hold it on the sides ) and I have some old Bamboo shades from the house`s windows somewhere in the attic , and since they are made from half inch strips of Bamboo (bamboo is very , very stiff ), I can very well make a kind of skeleton structure with some of those strips to resemble the mechanism of the real power shade , but fixed and it would keep it steady and tensile ... I think it is very much doable and elegant , would look good and save me a ton of money .
Maybe I can even interlock the strips as to make them able to fold , so I can take them off and roll down the shade, if I want too ... I will keep thinking on it .
Later on :
I think I will scratch the Bamboo . Home Depot sells strips of Aluminum in different lengths and width and I may be able to construct a foldable structure just like the OEM power shade for less than $10.00 cost of the strips . I can , then , open it and keep the shade tight or fold it down and close down the shade ...ha , it looks not too difficult to me . Also, after looking in detail to some of the pics where the shade seems very close to the glass , maybe I won`t even need the strips at all , so I think I will order it .
I will post pics of this thing when it is installed and my opinion on it . If I get burned it is only a few bucks .

Last edited by josey88; 04-27-14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 04:28 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

I pm'd you about this bro. I currently have this on my Aristo, just needs to be wired up. For installation all I needed to do was remove the two nuts behind the rear seat head rests, sandwiched the auto shade bracket between the rear seat and rear seat panel and put the two nuts back on. To wire it up you could do it two ways: a single DPDT switch or two relays and SPDT switch. I'll post a diagram for the relays and switch later.
Old 04-30-14, 01:36 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's one for sale in the BST I believe if I'm not mistaken, it was titled something like "Moving to Japan sale" or something, don't know why I remember that but I've got a good memory pretty sure that is along the lines of the sellers thread. It's an auto shade like you want, but not cheap, think it may have been like $400, but would be amazing to have for sure! Look around you may find it.
Old 04-30-14, 04:31 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
There's one for sale in the BST I believe if I'm not mistaken, it was titled something like "Moving to Japan sale" or something, don't know why I remember that but I've got a good memory pretty sure that is along the lines of the sellers thread. It's an auto shade like you want, but not cheap, think it may have been like $400, but would be amazing to have for sure! Look around you may find it.
Yup! That was my for sale thread.
Old 05-01-14, 01:13 PM
dbogotti92
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks pretty straightforward and really sick touch of vip
Old 05-01-14, 03:21 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

While it is cool, I wouldn't refer to as VIP... just me though.
Old 05-03-14, 03:21 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 77i9
Yup! That was my for sale thread.
Lol really?! So I was right, Right?!? Hahaha that's to funny, still got it? And you were moving to Japan right?
Old 05-04-14, 01:42 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Lol really?! So I was right, Right?!? Hahaha that's to funny, still got it? And you were moving to Japan right?
Yes I still have the rear shade and yes I live in Japan now.