GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Apexi Neo Install with Innovate Wideband O2

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 06:11 PM
nezlyfe
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Apexi Neo Install with Innovate Wideband O2

There's another apexi neo install in the sticky but that uses the ecu harness that's really expensive. So what I did was buy some 22 gauge stranded wire and made a wire extension with 4 wires to be sent to the ecu from my armrest (where I put my Neo). The 4 wires to be sent to the ecu are:
-Throttle Position
-RPM
-Air in (from sensor to Neo)
-Air out (from Neo to ECU)

The wire diagram I used can be easily found on the forums with all the colors, with the "project gs diy" watermark. I used the 02-05.

The throttle position and rpm wires are just tapped while the maf sensor is cut and that is the piggyback part. Disconnect battery first.

I sent the wires through the boot where all the wires go through the firewall underneath the relay box on the driver side. The wires exposed in the engine bay were also all shrink wrapped. I cut a small hole then touched it with some plastic dip to seal.

This is inside above the pedals.

Then route the wires to the arm rest or center console area.

For power I used the outlet and ground. The Neo has two grounds that MUST be separated, not sure why I matters but apparently it does so the other is grounded to the metal screw connected to the chassis.

done.

Initial Start Up. sorry didn't take pics

Remember the first time to only turn key to ACC.
DO NOT START THE CAR YET.
Set vtec off
# of cylinders
air sensor type (hot wire)-> set in and out values to both 24
throttle postion calibration

This is all in the manual and installation guides so just go through it as well.

Once you go through all the initialize steps then you can start the car. I'll make a part 2 showing what I did and the menus of the Neo. I'm not an expert and this is the first time I'm doing this so go keep that in mind.

Basically find the "Air Map" option and that's where you adjust the values of fuel(adding or subtracting) at different RPMs for both high and low throttle settings.

Now how do you know how much to add or subtract? the wideband

This is the O2 installed as Bank 2 Sensor 2

I have a simulator for the O2 and a heater sim for the B2S2. So I didn't have to drill and weld on the bung. Also, this one requires calibration in free air (outside the exhaust) so do that before you install it....unlike what I did . The steps to calibrate mine were power the gauge with sensor disconnected and let error "E2" display and wait for at least 30 secs. Power down and connect to sensor, with it still in free air, and then power up. It'll display "Htr" and will heat up the sensor and in 30-60 secs or so, will show "Cal" and then display 22.4 as the ratio.

I originally wanted to put the afr gauge in the ash tray but I need to redo it and try again so I put in the glove box for now. I again tapped the outlet in the ash tray for power. I originally tried a 12v source for the old 6 cd changer which apparently doesn't draw enough amps.

Comments, questions, and advice is appreciated. So far I was on the lean side up to about ~3500rpm and then rich out. Still need to fine tune but it's a start. Also the Innovative gauge I have does jump a lot so there's still some guess work when accelerating.

So I have no cat (OBX headers), drop in K&N filter, megan down pipe, O2 sim and then stock everything else, for now anyway.

Last edited by nezlyfe; 04-25-14 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 09:08 PM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you turn vtec on, can this turn my 1uzfe into a B-series
Old 04-24-14, 09:09 PM
armanitran
Lead Lap

all jokes aside, great write up. I was highly considering installing the apexi neo into my GS4. I'll message you if I have any further questions.
Old 04-24-14, 09:19 PM
nezlyfe
Rookie

yes if you turn the vtec on it'll turn into an LS1. Thanks lol
Old 04-26-14, 05:27 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

What other mods do you have? Will settings change drastically between different intakes or exhausts?
Old 04-26-14, 09:13 AM
nezlyfe
Rookie

I have a k&n drop in, O2 sim, headers (no cats), and a megan downpipe. The exhaust helps but the downpipe and mufflers are for more sound quality then anything. Aftermarket can be less restrictive but hp gains aren't going to be as drastic as advertised. No cats will make a difference. Having a CAI is better in the sense it allows more air in but it also lets more hot air from the engine bay in too. People seem to argue a lot over intakes but everyone seems to love the srt so i don't know lol. So far i have noticed better acceleration at higher throttle. Different configs require different setting and each car will require different settings in general, even though it's the same model.