GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Vibrating at 65-70

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 05:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Vibrating at 65-70

So i know there are numerous threads on this, but i need some help. Ive replaced both upper control arms, both LBJ, both motor mounts, balanced newer tires, fresh alignment, caster arms are good, and tie rods are good. I now, after everything, have a vibration only at 65-70 mph. It was very minor, but after i replaced the left upper control arm it got a little worse. Vibration is still there when i get on the brakes as well. Is it possible my tires are out of balance after a few hundred miles? I think all is left is the steering rack bushings? but the steering doesn't feel loose at all, if anything it is very precise and actually pretty heavy, like it was when i bought it around 50k miles. Is there anything else I am missing?
Old 04-24-14, 06:09 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my caster arms, LBJ and tie rods about 2 weeks ago, after an alignment, the car is perfect, free of any shaking, vibration or noises... and I used to have vibration/clunking noise when hitting a bump.

When you look at my old caster arms, they look perfectly fine the bushings were tight, no sign of wear. I'm not sure how you determined that the other parts are 'good', but in my opinion(I'm far far far from knowing anything), there's really no way to tell 'good' from 'bad' by looking, or pulling on it, etc.

If your tires are balanced, check the torque on the lug nuts... I think our GS are that sensitive.
Old 04-24-14, 06:15 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Caster arms were replaced at 70k, so i didn't want to call them new after 20k ha. It could be the lug nuts, as i almost drove away before completely tightening them (my stupid mistake, didn't get out of the driveway before realizing). Ill take a look at those
Old 04-25-14, 01:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

wheel lugs are 76ft tq.. did you replace inner tie rods as well not just outer? There was a nice write up from Jeffsai about the inner tie rods and vibration...
Old 04-25-14, 05:50 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

It's always something with this car. I'll look into it
Old 04-25-14, 05:53 AM
Acer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace rotors
Old 04-25-14, 06:32 AM
tereck
Driver

Originally Posted by gray_es300
So i know there are numerous threads on this, but i need some help. Ive replaced both upper control arms, both LBJ, both motor mounts, balanced newer tires, fresh alignment, caster arms are good, and tie rods are good. I now, after everything, have a vibration only at 65-70 mph. It was very minor, but after i replaced the left upper control arm it got a little worse. Vibration is still there when i get on the brakes as well. Is it possible my tires are out of balance after a few hundred miles? I think all is left is the steering rack bushings? but the steering doesn't feel loose at all, if anything it is very precise and actually pretty heavy, like it was when i bought it around 50k miles. Is there anything else I am missing?

Switch the back tires to the front . And check
Old 04-25-14, 08:23 AM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tereck
Switch the back tires to the front . And check
This times two. To make sure it's not tire related, rotate the tires. If you're feeling the vibrations in the steering wheel and after rotating the tires the vibration occurs in your seat, then it's the tires.

They're are so many ways people balance tires (centering collet on the front side, collet on rear and coning the front, bolt-pattern fingers on front) Techs can say they're "balanced" but the tire/wheel assembly may not be set up correctly, which would say its "ok" when it's really not. If it's a nicer machine, you can also check road force, and possible match mount the tire.

Cross off what you know its NOT, and you'll find out what it IS
Old 04-25-14, 08:39 AM
SPRIGGAN13
Driver School Candidate

Try new sway bar bushings...they seem to go bad real quick on the 2GS and its a cheap quick fix... Also the steering rack bushings could be the culprit
Old 04-25-14, 08:43 AM
SPRIGGAN13
Driver School Candidate

But of course never underestimate how much your tires condition impact your ride...
Old 04-25-14, 08:52 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Pads and rotors are have less than 5k on them and the tires are staggered so I can't rotate them ha, but they almost brand new, but I'll take a better look over everything this weekend
Old 04-25-14, 12:06 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The zip tie trick works wonders for some, including me and I've replace outer tie rods, lower ball joints, sway bar end links, new tires, brakes, rotors, alignment, motor mounts, next Monday upper control arms and upper ball joints are going in, I did the zip tie trick on the steering rack, and finally after all that and it's pretty much a non issue, can't wait to get my uca and ball joints in though, gonna be a new suspension, woo hoo!.!.

Last edited by DosyBoy; 04-25-14 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 04:32 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Took the wheel off, looked around, put it back on and now the vibration is gone. I'm thinking maybe when I put the wheel on last time, the wheel wasn't completely flat on the rotor causing the minor vibration.
Old 04-25-14, 04:39 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Took the wheel off, looked around, put it back on and now the vibration is gone. I'm thinking maybe when I put the wheel on last time, the wheel wasn't completely flat on the rotor causing the minor vibration.
Try wire brushing the hub and the wheel itself where it meets the hub next time you have them off.
Old 04-25-14, 07:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

The hub is completely clean, I just didn't hand tighten the lug nuts therefore it didn't sit perfectly flush with the hub, if that makes sense

Quick Reply: Vibrating at 65-70