GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looking at GS430, LS430, etc. good prices?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 11:13 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$9500 sounds about right. $10k would be my top price. As you've probably seen, finding a quality 430 is tough nowadays depending on your location.
Old 05-05-14, 08:03 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fusionrx... a respectful contrarian opinion. It may be the car for you but to me it really sounds like you are looking for a sporty but practical vehicle as the second car. You're already chasing a 13 year old car for 10K. It may need maintenance etc.

Right now they're the blingy tuner, cruiser-sexy car. But that's not going to say it's a practical family sedan.

Is this going to be a hobby car? Sunday car? I know you've mentioned reliabiltiy and no mods. That's drawn you to Lexus. But these days, there really aren't any bad cars you can buy.

For two years worth of driving, wouldn't a brand new Mazda6 on lease serve your needs? That's just one idea.
Old 05-05-14, 08:20 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately leases while good in concept don't work for us. We just drive too much. We currently get away with one ride where we all commute together but that is going to change in the near future. We do about 30000 miles a year on our van and we average 70-90 miles per day 7 days a week. The second car would get about the same as we are 35-50 miles from most places in the twin cities. So we exceed even the high mileage leases.

Do I want a sporty tuner type car. Sure I had 2 saab 9-5 both turbo'd. The inline 4 was mildly tuned to 225hp. Loved it. Reliability sucked.
Old 05-05-14, 09:07 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems like there isn't a sense of real urgency... save a couple thousand more and grab a 04-06 LS430.

But if you are looking for a sporty feel you should stick with the GS. The LS won't do much for you in that category. But a second "family" car for the Foxx family is gonna be a LS430. Miss the GS more than any other car but there were times we could a used a Lil more room on road trips.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 05-05-14 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 09:18 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

Already road tripped twin cities to Cape cod in the 07 honda oddessy. Best car hands down for something like that with 2 adults 2 kids and 2 dogs.
Old 05-05-14, 09:24 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

Also gotta stop somwhere... Most 04 to 06 sit at 14 to 16k. That's what I paid for my van with 42k miles on it.
Old 05-05-14, 09:40 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Yeah true... if it's more for you stick with a gs430 might just have to hold tight till the right one pops up. So far over the years I've noticed some of the better GS' come from here on the forum or members selling outside this forum. Of course there are many others not linked to this site... but if it's from a member here there is a good chance you can track some of their issues, services, upgrades, blah blah in their posts. When I was selling my GS I would contact the other folks in my area selling their GS' as a buyer asking about basic services and preventative maintenance like the ***** joints... most had no clue why I was asking about ball joints. Basically saying you should troll the classifieds here for a gs and use that Lexus site to verify service work as previously stated by other members. There are some great cars that pop up here.

If you can talk Parker Thomas into selling his you'll be set lol

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 05-05-14 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 09:42 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fusionrx
Already road tripped twin cities to Cape cod in the 07 honda oddessy. Best car hands down for something like that with 2 adults 2 kids and 2 dogs.
Well it's a tough problem to solve. Honda Pilot? Same as Oddessy. I agree that the big ole LS is the one! I would love to have one but it's not a sporty car... doesn't mean you couldn't make it that way with very minor mods.

I commute from time to time too (120 miles one way), and the GS does a wonderful job of it. You don't feel the miles.

To buy mine, I had to go look at it, drive it and pick it up in a city that was two hours away from me. Went in my company vehicle one weekend. Overnighted at my mother's place another weekend. Caught a commuter flight the next weekend after that to bring to where I live. LOL.
Old 05-05-14, 09:42 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

Dare I ask who he is?? Nevermind. ThomasGS4. Nice ride. If I get this one, I'd go for that look...

Last edited by fusionrx; 05-05-14 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 09:49 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

Pilot is nice, but I like dont like the styling on the older (03-08) models. Later style is nice, but costs are still to high for the lower mileage vehicles.

Odyssey is the perfect family vehicle for us. Gobs of space, great for the kids and dogs. Fits our life perfectly. (Never thought I'd hear myself say that! ) This is the daily driver/family hauler.

I miss the sporty car feeling. 96K is about as low mileage as I have seen. The NY guys one is attractively priced, but I'd have to fix the bumper (call me a perfectionist, but that would annoy me to no end) immediately and its almost 2x the mileage.

By the way, where in AB? I lived in Sherwood Park for 5 years and Calgary for 10 years, U of C grad, and my folks still live in DeWinton.
Old 05-05-14, 09:53 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Just remembered he has a 400

Prob one of the cleanest near stock here. Don't know if it's up for sale right now but he has put it up in the past. Don't unfriend me Parker lol

First post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-and-now.html

Anyway good luck op - take your time
Old 05-05-14, 10:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I miss the sporty car feeling.

By the way, where in AB? I lived in Sherwood Park for 5 years and Calgary for 10 years, U of C grad, and my folks still live in DeWinton.
Haha what small world. Been all over Ab. High Prairie, Grande Prairie, Edmonton etc etc. Right now in Lethbridge. I'm a U of C grad 93. I grew up in Calgary. I've driven all over those parts, not in my Lexus obviously but now I commute from time to time... Lethbridge to Calgary
Old 05-05-14, 10:11 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

LOL, U of C 91-97 (started bio sci switch to PhysEd, which became Kinesiology) graduated 97. BSc in Kinesiology, MSc 2001, Biomechanics. Lived down in Douglasdale.

I went Calgary-> Cleveland-> North Bay (Santa Rosa)-> Twin Cities (just outside, in Wi actually, in a small podunk town no one has ever heard of). Lived a number of places before Calgary, but grade 8 onwards was in Calgary.
Old 05-05-14, 10:24 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

LOL, U of C 91-97 (started bio sci switch to PhysEd, which became Kinesiology) graduated 97. BSc in Kinesiology, MSc 2001, Biomechanics. Lived down in Douglasdale.

I went Calgary-> Cleveland-> North Bay (Santa Rosa)-> Twin Cities (just outside, in Wi actually, in a small podunk town no one has ever heard of). Lived a number of places before Calgary, but grade 8 onwards was in Calgary.
Hilarious! You must know what a commute is like. I know Douglasdale too. It's the part of South Deerfoot where I step on the gas to get rid of the tailgating idiot and show him what a corner looks like.

Well it's too bad your not across the border in Montana. But in Ab. There's a couple of LS's for sale here but they may be out of your price range.
Old 05-05-14, 10:45 PM
fusionrx
Rookie

The 03 GS430 in Coeur D'Alene is nice, (boo on the car bra!) but its the blue marlin color (seems to be fairly rare!). Hard to tell by the photos. Bit too far north of what I am comfortable spending, although not 100% out of the question.

Quick Reply: Looking at GS430, LS430, etc. good prices?