GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 06:49 AM
Echo419
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid change

So I went in the DIY thread to look up how to do this and the link isn't good anymore. it pulls up a blank page and says, "The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

I'm sure it's just a matter of drain and fill but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything and see what type of fluid everyone recommends.

Thanks in advance.

edit 2002 GS430
Old 04-10-14, 06:50 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

T-IV fluid only. 2.5 quarts.
Old 04-11-14, 10:14 AM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a filter inside the transmission pan. If you're going to go that route like I did get four quarts of oil. You will have a little bit of trans fluid Left. I used it to flush out the power steering reservoir since its the same fluid.

Last edited by SweetS160; 04-11-14 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 11:20 AM
Echo419
Rookie

Originally Posted by SweetS160
There is a filter inside the transmission pan. If you're going to go that route like I did get four quarts of oil. You will have a little bit of trans fluid Left. I used it to flush out the power steering reservoir since its the same fluid.
there's a filter? I should replace it right?

p.s. I just replaced my PS pump so that fluid is good.
Old 04-11-14, 11:48 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the filter is scheduled maintenance on our transmissions. Just drain/fill once or twice a year.

I did, however, just change my filter a couple weeks ago since I have a bunch of power and a modified transmission. It needs it fairly regularly. A few tips:

•*Getting the pan off is a pain because it's glued on from the factory. If you pick up some plastic putty knives from your local home supply store you can use them as wedges to tap in and break the seal around the pan after the bolts are out.

•*Make sure to thoroughly prepare both the transmission side and the pan before you bolt it back together. It will get scuffed from trying to pry the pan off. Just use some 600/800/1000 sand paper to prepare the surface.

•*If the lip on the pan bends, just hammer it back to flat using a wood block

• I used the crappy rubber gasket that came with my filter. Most say not to use it, but it doesn't leak at all because 1) I properly prepared the surfaces 2) I put it out in the sun for about an hour and a half and then laid it flat on a workbench to flatten all the folds out and 3) I soaked it in transmission fluid overnight before reassembly.

•*If you do leave the pan off overnight, you'll probably need about 6qts of transmission fluid to re-fill.

• Clean the magnets that are in the bottom of the trans pan.

•*Don't forget to re-insert the dipstick tube when putting the pan back on.

Overall - it's a really easy job as long as you have enough patience to get the pan un-stuck from the trans.
The following users liked this post:
n1ck (04-02-18)
Old 04-11-14, 01:47 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Echo419
there's a filter? I should replace it right?

p.s. I just replaced my PS pump so that fluid is good.
My pan gasket was leaking so figured why not replace it if the pan is going to be off.

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
I don't think the filter is scheduled maintenance on our transmissions. Just drain/fill once or twice a year.

I did, however, just change my filter a couple weeks ago since I have a bunch of power and a modified transmission. It needs it fairly regularly. A few tips:

•*Getting the pan off is a pain because it's glued on from the factory. If you pick up some plastic putty knives from your local home supply store you can use them as wedges to tap in and break the seal around the pan after the bolts are out.

•*Make sure to thoroughly prepare both the transmission side and the pan before you bolt it back together. It will get scuffed from trying to pry the pan off. Just use some 600/800/1000 sand paper to prepare the surface.

•*If the lip on the pan bends, just hammer it back to flat using a wood block

• I used the crappy rubber gasket that came with my filter. Most say not to use it, but it doesn't leak at all because 1) I properly prepared the surfaces 2) I put it out in the sun for about an hour and a half and then laid it flat on a workbench to flatten all the folds out and 3) I soaked it in transmission fluid overnight before reassembly.

•*If you do leave the pan off overnight, you'll probably need about 6qts of transmission fluid to re-fill.

• Clean the magnets that are in the bottom of the trans pan.

•*Don't forget to re-insert the dipstick tube when putting the pan back on.

Overall - it's a really easy job as long as you have enough patience to get the pan un-stuck from the trans.
The brace on the trans gets in the way when removing the pan. I took off the bolts that went into the trans and used a small pry bar to get it down.
Old 04-13-14, 02:23 PM
bigegg
Driver

DIY here

I recommend, in addition to the above:
before doing the cooler line flush, empty and refill the oil pan (via the drain plug, or by removing the pan if cleaning the filter/magnets) - you'll save about 3 or 4 qts of ATF that way.
Old 04-14-14, 01:17 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigegg
DIY here

I recommend, in addition to the above:
before doing the cooler line flush, empty and refill the oil pan (via the drain plug, or by removing the pan if cleaning the filter/magnets) - you'll save about 3 or 4 qts of ATF that way.
Thanks for the link. I'm going to install my trans cooler this week and in one of the pics I saw the direction of fluid flow. Saved me some time trying to figure that out
Old 04-16-14, 10:39 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

use OEM fluid. I constantly drain 3 qts out due to my old school USA metal elevated car ramps. I also change while fluid is HOT so that I can get a lot out of each drain. I'm on schedule for one at the end of this year since I'm doing more stop/go driving
Old 04-17-14, 07:45 PM
Rudy602
Driver

I just did a drain and fill without dropping the pan on my 2004 RX330 and it took 4 quarts. I emptied my drain pan into a gallon jug and it filled it.
Old 03-19-15, 11:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am probably going to do a transmission fluid change on my GS430. I am pretty sure a flush was done around 50K miles but I lost the paper work on it so I am just going to do a drain and fill. I checked the fluid when cold and it was red to just slightly purplish and clear of any particles, no deep dark red/black thankfully.

I have a couple questions.

Can I put the AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF fluid in with the remaining Toyota trans fluid that is already in it or do I have to do a flush to get rid of all the Toyota IV fluid to put the Amsoil fluid in? If I have to do a flush I will just stick to putting the Toyota Trans fluid in so I can just drain and fill it.

I read there is a crush washer on the drain bolt, does everyone replace that washer with a new one or just re use the old one. If you replace with a new one what is the size of the washer I need to get?

I will use jack stands to get to the drain, how much of the new fluid should I get if the car will be jacked up from the front and drained?

I have not checked the trans fluid in a long time, noticed when I put the dip stick back in it was pretty tough pushing it through since it is a long curved tube, I was almost afraid of bending/kinking the metal.
Old 03-20-15, 04:57 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I am probably going to do a transmission fluid change on my GS430. I am pretty sure a flush was done around 50K miles but I lost the paper work on it so I am just going to do a drain and fill. I checked the fluid when cold and it was red to just slightly purplish and clear of any particles, no deep dark red/black thankfully.

I have a couple questions.

Can I put the AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF fluid in with the remaining Toyota trans fluid that is already in it or do I have to do a flush to get rid of all the Toyota IV fluid to put the Amsoil fluid in? If I have to do a flush I will just stick to putting the Toyota Trans fluid in so I can just drain and fill it.

I read there is a crush washer on the drain bolt, does everyone replace that washer with a new one or just re use the old one. If you replace with a new one what is the size of the washer I need to get?

I will use jack stands to get to the drain, how much of the new fluid should I get if the car will be jacked up from the front and drained?

I have not checked the trans fluid in a long time, noticed when I put the dip stick back in it was pretty tough pushing it through since it is a long curved tube, I was almost afraid of bending/kinking the metal.
I just drain what comes out into quart glass jars. You may get 2 or 3 quarts. Probably 3 with car being jacked up in the front. Then I just reuse the washer 3-4 times. I just make sure it goes back on the same way it came off. I don't let the washer flip over. I only use OEM washer from Toyota.

I use Amsoil and do it every oil change (5K).

Sometimes I have to hold the stick right close to where it enters the tube and jab it a few times. You may try flipping the stick over and see if that helps.

I've done this on all my Lexi and you can see I have a lot of miles on them with no tranny problems. I also take care of my Daughter's IS300 with 160K
Old 03-21-15, 02:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by gebo
I just drain what comes out into quart glass jars. You may get 2 or 3 quarts. Probably 3 with car being jacked up in the front. Then I just reuse the washer 3-4 times. I just make sure it goes back on the same way it came off. I don't let the washer flip over. I only use OEM washer from Toyota.

I use Amsoil and do it every oil change (5K).

Sometimes I have to hold the stick right close to where it enters the tube and jab it a few times. You may try flipping the stick over and see if that helps.

I've done this on all my Lexi and you can see I have a lot of miles on them with no tranny problems. I also take care of my Daughter's IS300 with 160K
Sounds good. So if I go with adding Amsoil to the Toyota fluid already in there, there should be no problem with the two mixing? Same with adding Amsoil or regular Toyota ATF to some yellowish powersteering fluid which I think is in the reservoir?

I tried flipping and pushing it closer to the opening, I was just surprised it was so hard to put back in and afraid I could kink the metal or possibly damage something.
Old 03-21-15, 06:20 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

No problem with the 2 mixing in the AT. I wouldn't add the Toyota IV to the Power Steering. I would add the Amsoil.
Old 05-28-15, 01:37 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys, any of you used this additive in the transmission after you have changed the oil to its transmission? I asked the seller with the information of my car and he said that after changing the oil it need a single bottle. I do not know if someone used this product before and if you really and truly works after you change the oil transmission this product is necessary in our Transmission or not?
eBay item # 151365337348. Lubergard 60902 ATF Protectant Red Synthetic Additive

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change