GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd Generation GS300 vs 2002 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 01:49 AM
XiongXiong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a Honda/Acura owner for the past 12 years, while most of my friends has the GS400's.. I actually spent more on maintenance and repairs then my friends, ofcourse their cars costs more, but in the long run my friends still drive their cars and I traded my Acura for a Lexus. Toyota Avalon is kind of a older folks car (I see grand pal-white hair guys driving those things. Granted its a good Toyota product but its no GS. I'm now driving a 2011 IS350 and my friends 16 year Lexus GS is smoother and runs just as stronger if not stronger. I'm a huge GS4 fan, though I've only seen them at arms distance (all my friends owned them). I'm looking into getting a GS4 myself, even if its 10-15 year old car. The quality is Definitely there.. I have one friend pushing 350K miles, bought brand new. He never had ONE issue (did his maintenance as Lexus suggest) he's one happy camper. How many people you know drive cars at 350K miles and is mechanically sound and 100% reliable?
Old 04-15-14, 05:06 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XiongXiong
How many people you know drive cars at 350K miles and is mechanically sound and 100% reliable?
I sold my 1997 ES300, about 3 years ago, and the GS430 was the replacement for that ES.

I bought the ES300 with 150k miles already on it, and people around me thought I was nuts. I paid $5000 for it back in 2006. In the next 5 years, I put on 200K miles, so total of 350k miles when I sold it for $2400. I never had a single issue with the car, and minimal maintenance. I remember oil changes every 6-8k miles, 2 batteries, just 1 set of tires, rear struts, timing belt/water pump. That was it for 200k miles of driving. And the car was solid when I sold it. And when you do the math, $5000 - $2400 = 2600$.... 2600$... that's what I paid to drive a car for 200k miles. That 2600$ won't even pay for the taxes on an average new car today.

I think the Toyota/Lexus, and Honda/Acuras were built better in the 90's. I remember about 7-8 years ago, browsing at the Chicago Auto Show, thinking how the new cars felt cheaper than the cars from the 90's. I think the companies started using inferior parts so their service/parts departments can actually survive. Our Gen2 GS' just made the cut, before they started going cheap. I think the last 2-3 years, they (Honda/Toyota) realized that the public is finding out, so I think they're back to making quality a priority.

I think I got too spoiled by my past cars being totally trouble free. My GS430 just clipped 100k mile mark, and I'm sure It'll go 300k miles as well.
Old 04-15-14, 08:28 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
I think the Toyota/Lexus, and Honda/Acuras were built better in the 90's. I remember about 7-8 years ago, browsing at the Chicago Auto Show, thinking how the new cars felt cheaper than the cars from the 90's. I think the companies started using inferior parts so their service/parts departments can actually survive. Our Gen2 GS' just made the cut, before they started going cheap. I think the last 2-3 years, they (Honda/Toyota) realized that the public is finding out, so I think they're back to making quality a priority.
Hmmm, I see your point and for the most part, is valid. But have you sat in the 2014 GS or LS models?? There was no half steppin on those vehicles. Very plush.
Old 04-15-14, 09:03 AM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Originally Posted by repugnante
Hmmm, I see your point and for the most part, is valid. But have you sat in the 2014 GS or LS models?? There was no half steppin on those vehicles. Very plush.
Yeah, I think in the past 2-3 years, Honda/Toyota are trying to go back to who they were, and how they got to be who they were in first place. But from about 2002-to 2011, I think they all slacked off a little.
Old 04-15-14, 09:43 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
Agreed. I feel Lexus took a turn for the worse in the quality department with the addition of each model that had push-button start.
Old 04-15-14, 12:29 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Agreed. I feel Lexus took a turn for the worse in the quality department with the addition of each model that had push-button start.
I was tempted to save for a 3rd gen gs, but have heard many complaints and issues about them, but with more technology to keep up in the luxury segment that's just more stuff that can break and be more expensive
Old 04-15-14, 01:09 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
I was tempted to save for a 3rd gen gs, but have heard many complaints and issues about them, but with more technology to keep up in the luxury segment that's just more stuff that can break and be more expensive
Your best bet is to steer clear of the early ones, especially 2006.
Old 04-15-14, 01:12 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Well, it's not just the technology part I'm talking about.
Back from 2005 to 2009, I took on a part time job at (Nation's biggest used car dealer).
I totally miscalculated what a family can cost... plus wife in nursing school, so no choice, got a 2nd job. That's when I noticed that the Hondas and Toyotas were cutting corners big time, when you compare 2002 to 03 Accord, 2001 Camry to 02, etc. Even the Minivans... The dashboard resembled more of Chrysler, the low rental car feel, 'ting' sound when you shut the door, interior plastics were uncovered and hard, engine and suspension noise more pronounced, etc.

Again, I haven't been to a dealership to look at new cars in a while, so I can't judge on 1st hand what the new 2014 cars are like, but from what I've read and heard, they've gotten their act straight.
Old 04-15-14, 05:39 PM
GS498
Driver School Candidate

I would agree that Honda's zenith was during the mid-late 80s into the mid 90s. It seemed that their quality/reliability packed up and went south in the late 90s (thats also when all of the transmission woes began). I don't know about Toyota, but Honda still does a lot of cost cutting on details like door sill covers, courtesy lights on the door panels, trunk lid liners, etc. That is one of the reasons I recently traded my 06 Accord in for a 13 Kia Optima about 6 months ago to serve as a daily commuter. The Kia is just a base model, but has a trunk lid liner (even has hinge covers!!), door sill covers, hood struts (vs. prop rod in the Accord) and nifty things like LED lighted turn signals on the side mirrors, large front fog lights and dual chrome tipped exhaust pipes are all standard. Furthermore, the Kia just feels more solid and is quieter on the highway (actually it's even quieter than my GS by a small margin). So, after having owned 9 Hondas (beginning with a 1981 Honda Civic station wagon), I am now driving a Kia...if that says something for the decline of Honda quality. The 06 Accord was a nice car, but it really pailed in comparison to the 96 I traded in for it. The wear and tear at 120k miles was a lot more noticable than in the 96...which showed almost none at 158k. The car was also beginning to have mechanical issues such as piston slap and oil consumption (which apparently is turning out to be fairly common with the K24s). I really wish that I had kept the 96 which still had that legenday Honda feel and reliability that the 06 just could not duplicate for me. The 4th gen (90-93) Accords were about the best you could/can get. Those things run like a roach (the 93-97 Toyota Corolla also come to mind). I can't really say much for Toyota as the GS has been my only Toyota product...but my mother drives a a 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE with the 3.3 v6 and 136k miles currently on the clock. So far, it has been very good overall...but it has had some minor quality related issues. The biggest one has been the dash plastic cracking around all of the outer edges. Her plastics are not as solid as those used in my GS or other Toyota products of that era. Her van also has a couple of buttons and cubby lids that have broken under gentle use. The rear lift gate struts gave out about a year or so ago (over $200 from Toyota!) and the latest problem is that the driver side of the dual zone climate control will only blow cold. Only the passenger side will blow warmer as you raise the temp. It also seems like she has had a lot of recalls for it over the years. In any case, she loves the van...it is extremely plush and comfortable and it has been solid mechanically. With that said, I can definitely tell it is not as durable or trouble free as the older Toyotas (or my GS for that
matter).

The 2000-05 Avalons seem to still be built like the tradional Toyota vehicles of the 90s as are our 98-05 GSs.

Last edited by GS498; 04-15-14 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-16-14, 02:14 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My first car was a 95 Acura Legend GS, bought with 150k drove to 200k before it was totaled and I got my GS, never fixed one thing on that car, even more reliable than my GS now I'd say, but after driving lexus, acura just didn't feel special anymore to me, the leather and interior just doesn't have the same quality, but they are very reliable cars. Still dream of buying an ol NSX someday
Old 04-16-14, 10:41 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I used to be in love with the 90-93 Accords. It looked great and it was great on gas. My co-worker had a tan 93 SE with leather seats. He kept that car in great condition.
Old 04-16-14, 06:52 PM
egs21
Pole Position

My first car was a 95 Acura Legend GS, bought with 150k drove to 200k before it was totaled and I got my GS, never fixed one thing on that car, even more reliable than my GS now I'd say, but after driving lexus, acura just didn't feel special anymore to me, the leather and interior just doesn't have the same quality, but they are very reliable cars. Still dream of buying an ol NSX someday
Agree on the Lexus vs. Acura thing. My first Lexus was a 97 ES300. Great car but got totaled. I bought an 03 Acura TL type-s. Fun car to drive, very fast, but rode rough and the interior was uncomfortable and the quality of the materials was subpar compared to Lexus. Got rid of the TL after 6 months and went back to a 99 ES300. Sold her last summer and got an 02 GS300. Don't see myself going to any other brand besides Lexus (except Toyota as I want a 4Runner next).