GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Set of 3-piece 19" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 09:30 AM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

looks good... now drop that biatch
Old 07-20-14, 10:31 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by armanitran
What are you going to do about the bend in the rim? Are they covering costs of the repair?
I'm gonna have to send it to be repaired. The tire shop don't cover the costs because they said it wasn't their fault.
Clearly it was, but what can I do it's word against word.
Old 07-23-14, 09:37 PM
TheDuecer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any pictures of it lowerd? tell us how much camber you had to go with
Old 07-23-14, 11:00 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

I wont be lowering it until next summer.
I was just test fitting them to give me some sort of an idea what I'm dealing with.

But to answer your question now, I'd say stock camber maxxed out.
Old 03-24-15, 01:09 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

So there's some good news and possibly very bad news.

Good news is that I have my coils and other suspension parts ready to be installed.

Bad news:

Yesterday I took the wheel to be repaired. The guy called me afterwards and told me the possibly very bad news.
It may not be salvageable from the amount of dents it has. He told me there's dents even on the outer lip (the main and biggest dent is in the inner lip) and that it clearly has been banged hard.
Now that I think of it I remember the guy on the tire shop did bang on it when he was trying to get the tire off of it.

If it can be restored there's no problem. I'll get my coils and wheels installed on easter weekend.
If it can't be restored I have basically one option if I want to keep the wheels; I'll have to get a new set of inner and outer lips.
That costs money which I don't have any extra to spend and at worst that leads to the point that this whole thing delays till next summer - again.

I'm so f'ing pissed of how the tire shop guy handled this thing. He should be the professional.
Clearly he wasn't and if I could decide he would've been kicked in the *** at that right moment when he f'd up my wheel.
Old 03-24-15, 01:13 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Lutkis
So there's some good news and possibly very bad news. Good news is that I have my coils and other suspension parts ready to be installed. Bad news: Yesterday I took the wheel to be repaired. The guy called me afterwards and told me the possibly very bad news. It may not be salvageable from the amount of dents it has. He told me there's dents even on the outer lip (the main and biggest dent is in the inner lip) and that it clearly has been banged hard. Now that I think of it I remember the guy on the tire shop did bang on it when he was trying to get the tire off of it. If it can be restored there's no problem. I'll get my coils and wheels installed on easter weekend. If it can't be restored I have basically one option if I want to keep the wheels; I'll have to get a new set of inner and outer lips. That costs money which I don't have any extra to spend and at worst that leads to the point that this whole thing delays till next summer - again. I'm so f'ing pissed of how the tire shop guy handled this thing. He should be the professional. Clearly he wasn't and if I could decide he would've been kicked in the *** at that right moment when he f'd up my wheel.
this is the kinda s*** I'm worried about, some jerk off at the wheel shop that doesn't know or doesn't care what they're doing. That really sucks man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll pay for it to be fixed, but probably not. I might just have to drive an hour or two away just to find someone who can professionally install tires without f***ing up my wheels. I wish you the best of luck
Old 03-24-15, 11:17 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
Hopefully they'll pay for it to be fixed, but probably not.
It happened last summer so it's very easy for them to just deny everything. I'm not going into that fight but I am going to spread the word of their doing.

I chose that particular wheel shop 'cause I got recommendations of it. I was told they especially know how to install stretched tires.
Old 04-26-15, 11:08 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

I've had so much bad luck with this project that I'm starting to get fed up with this ****.

Wheel got repaired. I installed the 265/30 on it just to notice it still didn't keep air in it.
I got it taken off and it had a 2" long piece missing from the inside.

Well obviously I thought that was the reason it still didn't keep the air in it so I ordered a new tire (the tire shop paid it because they f'ed up the previous tire).

This weekend I was all hyped up to get the wheels finally on and set the ride height to drivable.
Everything went fine until I moved the car a bit. As soon as I dropped down from the board to the ground the wheel deflated its air instantly.

Now my options are either to buy new inner and/or outer lips or buy wider tires which requires to pull the arches to make them fit.
Either way it's gonna cost money which I don't have any to spare atm.

Here's a few pics before I drove it and deflated the tire.
It would have looked really good especially from behind imo..

Old 04-27-15, 09:06 AM
780gs400
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Love these wheels they look great!! If I were you I would stay persistent and make these work! They look great on your car and I love gold lug nuts on chrome wheels on the green car,looks so good,don't get discouraged this will look amazing when all is said and done!!
Old 04-27-15, 09:41 AM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel for you man, don't let it keep you down! We all know about the wheel/tire trial and error process. An unexpected factor popped up on you but persevere bro!!! Despite these minor set backs you're still taking steps forward! Wheels look great, I know you've had to throw some more coin at them than you initially expected but that just means you'll appreciate them that much more than the next guy does his.
Old 04-27-15, 11:02 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Thanks for your couraging words, I really appreciate them!

I'm just disappointed that I can't get that stretched look 'cause I have to get wider tires.

The problem is in the rims itself.
As you can see they don't have the notch (I don't know how to call it) what normally is in the outer and/or inner lip.
You know the thing that keeps the tire at its place and doesn't let it slip off so easily.

Old 05-20-15, 02:28 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Sooooo.. Another update and things aren't looking any better.

I got a pair of 285/30 and left them to a local tire shop to be installed.
They called me and said there's a huge difference between the two wheels' outer lips and that's why the other one doesn't keep air in it.
They also said that the 285's propably won't keep the air either.

Let me demonstrate you.

This is the one that hasn't been keeping the air in it. The edge of that ss lip is very sharp (I cut myself on it last summer) as if someone has cut a slice off of it all the way of the length of the lip.
It could also be that someone (propably the f'er who made a dent on the very same wheel) who has tried to install tires on it may have put something between the lip and the barrel and that's caused the lip to push upwards.
This means the overall diameter of the wheel is larger than the other one. That can be easily measured.

This one has almost no gap at all and the edge is rolled inwards so you can't get a cut of it even if you tried.

Now I don't know who has f'ed this up or did it come from the factory looking like that but either way my only solution seems to be to fill those gaps (just to make sure I'll fill the other one too) with some sealant so that the tire can rest on it without leaking.

Or does anybody has any other suggestion? At this point I'm very open to them as long as it doesn't cost me a fortune.

Edit: "Bought" a can of Wurth transparent Super RTV Silicone. Hopefully that'll do the job.

http://www.wurth.co.uk/technical-che...tv-black-200ml

Last edited by Lutkis; 05-20-15 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-26-15, 11:10 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Here's another update whether you guys are interested or not.
The silicone sealant is holding up and so far no leaks.

Now the remaining problem is the rear fenders which rub all the time. I should have gone with stiffer springs than 18/16.

I'll propably start with shaving the fenders and if that doesn't help much I'll pull them.
Does the phonebook method work with coilovers or is there another way I could do it by myself?

Excuse the dirtyness.

Old 05-27-15, 02:13 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've seen you can do it with whichever suspension system you have, it just makes it a lot easier if you're on air. For coilovers/springs you'll have to have a jack so you can raise/lower the car and you'll probably want to lower your coils so that once the jack drops it lowers the fenders onto the phonebook/wheel &tire... or maybe you can get away with a really big phone book. Ask boostedsi how he did it since he's the only person I've heard of doing it on a 2GS.
Old 05-27-15, 03:29 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
From what I've seen you can do it with whichever suspension system you have, it just makes it a lot easier if you're on air. For coilovers/springs you'll have to have a jack so you can raise/lower the car and you'll probably want to lower your coils so that once the jack drops it lowers the fenders onto the phonebook/wheel &tire... or maybe you can get away with a really big phone book. Ask boostedsi how he did it since he's the only person I've heard of doing it on a 2GS.
Yep, thanks. I actually just got a time for tomorrow for rolling my fenders.
It's not far away and the guy said he's gonna charge 30-40€ / side for that, depending on the work he has to do. I think it's a good price.

Quick Reply: Set of 3-piece 19" wheels