GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just installed Mechman Alternator, Battery Light comes on now

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 07:46 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I literally just sent it 2 weeks ago and they fixed it, how can I test the regulator? is there a test for it?
Old 03-26-14, 07:48 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Originally Posted by tdciv
regulator must be bad on it thats why i asked if you did or not the bad news is you need to send it back

i run the same alt on my 2jz-gte and it works fine
I don't know if this makes sense, but does your GTE have a standalone computer and if so, could the battery light be coming up but the new standalone just doesn't show it? I have never ran a standalone and I know a lot of people runs standalones on the GTE, that's if you swapped, I just don't know if it reads that warning, know what I am saying?
Old 03-26-14, 07:55 AM
tdciv
Driver

i got the alt used it was on a stock 02 gs300 and its a year old
Old 03-26-14, 08:00 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

i got the alt used it was on a stock 02 gs300 and its a year old
I am guessing you didn't read my post correctly, I want to know if you have a standalone computer in your car since you have GTE? That could be why the battery light doesn't pop up for you if the computer doesn't look for that and can I test the regulator on the alternator? is there a way to test it?
Old 03-26-14, 08:25 AM
tdciv
Driver

yes im running a haltech and it works fine in my car and when it was in the stock gs it worked fine im the one that installed it new in the guys car and when i got it off him i was the one that pulled it out and installed it in mine

now to test the regulator this is how i test it but you have to hold the rpms to see if it drops or go's up
Old 03-26-14, 08:33 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

yes im running a haltech and it works fine in my car and when it was in the stock gs it worked fine im the one that installed it new in the guys car and when i got it off him i was the one that pulled it out and installed it in mine

now to test the regulator this is how i test it but you have to hold the rpms to see if it drops or go's up
Auto Repair & Mechanics : How to Test a Car Voltage Regulator - YouTube
Just answering the guy in the video, my battery sits at 12.5-12.9 when the car is off, my voltage doesn't go above 14.5, and the alternator charges the battery when the car is on, I would say everything is fine with the alternator. I guess I may be seeing belt slippage (I hope not since I got the belt I got is what they recommend), a bad ground somewhere, I will check for resistance between those grounds in 30 mins on my break. I will post my results of the resistance. If it isn't the resistance, then I guess it would be the belt and I should get one half inch shorter, but still go with a Goodyear Gatorback belt.
Old 03-26-14, 08:40 AM
tdciv
Driver

i can look and see what part number is the belt on mine

what i know its is shorter i just have to look it up again
Old 03-26-14, 08:53 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Yes please let me know what belt you have (brand, part number.) I will buy that next and see if it helps my situation.
Old 03-26-14, 09:33 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

I just checked my resistance. Battery to frame: .02 ohms
Battery to engine: .03-.08 ohms
Also did the regulator test and at 1500-2000 rpm's the voltage holds/increases by .1 to stay at 13.9-14.1 volts so my regulator is fine. Are those resistance numbers low enough to not see an issue there and is it looking more likely a belt issue? (Need half inch smaller)?
Old 03-26-14, 01:14 PM
Sphan519
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just hopped in my car and revved it to 5k RPMs and indeed the battery light came on for a split second.
Old 03-26-14, 06:56 PM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Do you have any clue what this could be Sphan? Did you get a shorter belt? Are you using copper terminals and have done the big 3 upgrade? Do you think this is a real issue or just the car being tricked?
Old 03-26-14, 09:53 PM
Sphan519
Driver

Originally Posted by CharlieD93
Do you have any clue what this could be Sphan? Did you get a shorter belt? Are you using copper terminals and have done the big 3 upgrade? Do you think this is a real issue or just the car being tricked?
Yes my current belt is 87.6 inches, the original belt is 88.7 inches. Only thing i could think is that it could be a bad ground, might have to test that.

If you Google "Alternator 5k RPM battery light" You'll see a bunch of people with threads on other car forums, might have to do a little digging.

My car runs find, I'm currently running a 3000w rms setup, i had to get a mechman alternator cause my OEM one fried the day i hooked up my subs. Both VSC lights and ABS light came on along with a whining sound coming out the Alternator, once i got the new mechman Alternator hooked up the whining stopped and the error lights never came back on. Subs pound harder than ever, but certain lights in my car still dim on hard bass notes with the volume cranked up.
Old 03-27-14, 05:48 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sphan519
Yes my current belt is 87.6 inches, the original belt is 88.7 inches. Only thing i could think is that it could be a bad ground, might have to test that.

If you Google "Alternator 5k RPM battery light" You'll see a bunch of people with threads on other car forums, might have to do a little digging.

My car runs find, I'm currently running a 3000w rms setup, i had to get a mechman alternator cause my OEM one fried the day i hooked up my subs. Both VSC lights and ABS light came on along with a whining sound coming out the Alternator, once i got the new mechman Alternator hooked up the whining stopped and the error lights never came back on. Subs pound harder than ever, but certain lights in my car still dim on hard bass notes with the volume cranked up.
Okay so you are saying even with a shorter belt you still get the battery light coming on? Maybe our system is just being tricked somehow and thinks there is a problem, I guess it really could just be a warning light that is warning us about something if it was a stock situation, not aftermarket with Mechman, you know what I am saying? What brand belt are you using? Also I just looked up the length of my belt and it is only 76.00 inches long, so how is your 87.6 inches long? Wouldn't it have extreme slack if yours was this long? Maybe measure it again, I didn't measure mine, I looked on Good year's website at their gatorback belt lengths.

Last edited by CharlieD93; 03-27-14 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-27-14, 07:54 AM
Sphan519
Driver

Originally Posted by CharlieD93
Okay so you are saying even with a shorter belt you still get the battery light coming on? Maybe our system is just being tricked somehow and thinks there is a problem, I guess it really could just be a warning light that is warning us about something if it was a stock situation, not aftermarket with Mechman, you know what I am saying? What brand belt are you using? Also I just looked up the length of my belt and it is only 76.00 inches long, so how is your 87.6 inches long? Wouldn't it have extreme slack if yours was this long? Maybe measure it again, I didn't measure mine, I looked on Good year's website at their gatorback belt lengths.
My belt is just right, I couldn't go any shorter if I tried lol. It's probably cause I have a GS400 and you have a GS300. The brand of my belt is dayco, which I got at autozone. It could be the system being tricked but it's odd that it lights up right after 5k rpm, maybe the regulator cuts off power or something
Old 03-27-14, 08:43 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sphan519
My belt is just right, I couldn't go any shorter if I tried lol. It's probably cause I have a GS400 and you have a GS300. The brand of my belt is dayco, which I got at autozone. It could be the system being tricked but it's odd that it lights up right after 5k rpm, maybe the regulator cuts off power or something
Ah yes, engine difference would make a difference in belt length since it's set up differently. You could be right about it cutting off at/after 5K rpm's, but my voltage doesn't dip or spike after that, so I do not think it is the regulator. My conclusion is that is getting tricked, but what it is tricking, I do not know. It seems to charge my battery, keep a steady voltage at 1500-2000 rpms, and it doesn't have a terrible noise anymore/yet. So I think it may just be a fluke. I will post back if anything else happens or if it goes away.

Last edited by CharlieD93; 03-27-14 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Just installed Mechman Alternator, Battery Light comes on now