GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Who has a high powered sub in stock location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 03:31 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who has a high powered sub in stock location?

I dont know very much about speakers, but im thinking about fitting a 12" T2.... L7 or maybe possibly a JL W7 13.5. I have a kicker comp in factory location with my stock amp and i personally love it. It really sounds like i have a 12" inch my trunk. When my bass is turned up to half (on my navi setting) there is enough bass to actually shake my rearview and vibrate my seats. When its up full, it gives an incredible amount of bass that actually makes my hat tickle my head lol. It also sounds very very clean like the bass is inside the cabin and not blowing up in the trunk. Is my trunk acting as a sealed enclosure? Does anyone know the logic behind this? The kicker sounds alot better then the ML free air witch i was not expecting, since the kickers not a free air. Basically what im trying to say is, was i just lucky that my kicker sounded good in the stock location? And would getting a louder sub effect the sound quality? It sounds nice the way it is, i would just love to be able to turn up the bass without the risk of blowing my door speakers. I could just amp the kicker and call it a day but all this bass is making me want more. Dont want the loudest system but a clean studio sound for a more enjoyable ride to work. Just want to know what everyone thinks or anyones experience on this before i go spend 200$ on dynomat and even more on a new sub and amp, Thanx looking to hear everyones input
Old 03-03-14, 07:31 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a JL 10W7 in a custom box that fires up through the stock location. It basically sits right where the stock sub used to be, but is mounted in the box not the rear deck. This sub hits real hard and sounds real clean. I prefer a more clean sounding system, not just loud, this gives me both.
Old 03-03-14, 07:59 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In because I know nothing of car audio and want to learn. I'm on factory audio, which is good for its age. An 02 and friends ask me, how much did you spend on this system. I smile and say its stock. Anyway, looking at the same things, I want to upgrade my amp but I know nothing about it. And then sub following with door speakers, possibly tweeters. Don't want to blow anything up and i'm going for a smooth and clean, but hard hitting bass as well. Dont want to shake my neighborhood and be one of "those" guys either.
Old 03-03-14, 09:29 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

actually gsean400, after we talked, I found out the sub you were using was suitable for free-air per Kicker's website. That may explain the better than expected performance
Old 03-03-14, 10:15 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, infinite baffle is what you are describing
Old 03-03-14, 02:58 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a Rockford punch i.b. With a orion amp to power the sub. Sounds great but now i want more....
Old 03-03-14, 04:09 PM
BeatupVR4
Driver School Candidate

This might be listed around somewhere but does anyone know the power rating for the individual channels on the ML amp? My factory sub is blown and I'd love to upgrade it.
Old 03-03-14, 10:36 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
I have a JL 10W7 in a custom box that fires up through the stock location. It basically sits right where the stock sub used to be, but is mounted in the box not the rear deck. This sub hits real hard and sounds real clean. I prefer a more clean sounding system, not just loud, this gives me both.
I was actually thinking about doing that... Is it actually touching the deck lid? I feel like that would rattle the deck lid alot.

Originally Posted by runyun
actually gsean400, after we talked, I found out the sub you were using was suitable for free-air per Kicker's website. That may explain the better than expected performance
Noo wayy?? Lol

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
I have a Rockford punch i.b. With a orion amp to power the sub. Sounds great but now i want more....
I feel ya.. Does it hit a good range of bass? Whats an i.b?
Old 03-04-14, 05:35 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsean400
Whats an i.b?
i.b. = infinite baffle. (same thing as a free-air sub)
Old 03-04-14, 09:54 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Subbed because Ive been wanting to upgrade my stock sub. Theyres a company that I cant remember that makes boxes for 12s to face the stock location
Old 03-04-14, 10:29 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend had an earthquake shallow mount in his stock location. Sounded hella good.
Old 03-04-14, 11:37 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Can someone post a link and or pics of a box that uses stock location. I need to have that cause i have a rear strut bar where a "normal" box would go. Thanks...prices would be nice along with a how to mount it..thanks again
Old 03-04-14, 11:45 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Concept Enclosures has them on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.com/conceptenclos...Q_scZ1QQ_sopZ3

Edit: Sorry, those don't use the stock location. This post was useless to SoCal Cyco.
Old 03-05-14, 06:21 PM
czr73
Driver

Ten inch fits perfectly, any bigger you gotta mod it up.

There are high powered 10" speakers available, just make sure you match it up with the right amplifier in terms of ohms, rms, and classification.
Old 03-05-14, 06:47 PM
tdciv
Driver

my self ill be running a jl 8w7 that will be in a glass tub under the back deck so it will sit in the stock spot but will be all sealed

im trying not to take up much truck space as i have air ride plus audio gear

Quick Reply: Who has a high powered sub in stock location?