GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2002 gs 430 with mark levison system installing loc converter please help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 12:47 AM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 gs 430 with mark levison system installing loc converter please help..

Hi I have 02 gs 430 with ml system and I'm having problems splicing my loc converter into the system , tried rear speaker leads coming off the factory amplifier it sound lousy and just pushed a minimal amount of air also tried stock sub output wires didn't work either .. Has anyone installed a aftermarket sub in stock location with aftermarket amp using loc converter to a gs with ml system if so wich wires do I use I'm completely confused
Old 03-02-14, 01:58 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the rear door speakers to get the signal. Worked fine for me in my gs300
Old 03-02-14, 07:07 AM
IndecentSC
Lexus Test Driver

i used the factory sub wires into the converter. thats the easiest way since the amp and the sub is going right there in the same location. i'll get some pics later
Old 03-02-14, 01:18 PM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsean400
I used the rear door speakers to get the signal. Worked fine for me in my gs300
I tried this splicing wires from rear speaker wires that come of the ml amp still didn't work
Old 03-02-14, 01:19 PM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IndecentSC
i used the factory sub wires into the converter. thats the easiest way since the amp and the sub is going right there in the same location. i'll get some pics later
I also tried this to didn't seem to work either I have 2002 gs 430 with ml system I'm trying to install loc but can't figure it out for life of me
Old 03-02-14, 02:12 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I disconnected/removed my sub and just hooked it up to the sub wires. Works great for me. I have a 05 430 with ML and Nav.

You have any pics of the way you connected it ?
Old 03-02-14, 04:17 PM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by clos430
I disconnected/removed my sub and just hooked it up to the sub wires. Works great for me. I have a 05 430 with ML and Nav.

You have any pics of the way you connected it ?
I do but I don't know how to post them here ok what I did first was tapped the rear door speakers from the ml amp I used the largest connector with the thickest wires.positive negative hooked up correctly checked with multi Meter to verify and the sub sounded lousy and barley pushed air I have my amp 12 from batt ground to chassis I also tried tapping rear woofer in rear deck it has 2 wires that didn't work so great either if anyone has pics of how to install the loc or what wires to tap would be great help thanks
Old 03-02-14, 08:08 PM
czr73
Driver

IMO mark levison is NOT impressive at all. If you can afford it I would upgrade the whole system including head unit, speakers, 10" sub and amplifier. But remember the radio and amp are serial so mess with one you'll have to mess with all.
Old 03-02-14, 11:27 PM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by czr73
IMO mark levison is NOT impressive at all. If you can afford it I would upgrade the whole system including head unit, speakers, 10" sub and amplifier. But remember the radio and amp are serial so mess with one you'll have to mess with all.
Ya I'm not to impressed how complicated it is to install a simple loc and amp and one sub lol I only wanted a bit more bass component wise I'm happy I just don't get how all these people use loc converters and mine ain't working worth a shyyyt what wires do I use to hook it up this is rediculous
Old 03-02-14, 11:40 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

definitely use the leads at the subwoofer. those connections get the low frequencies so they will provide the best signal from the loc to the amp.

I used to have a loc connected from my factory sub (non ML) that sent signal to the amp. worked and sounded good.
however, later I connected a different loc to the speaker leads and it sounded different. a bit louder. not sure if it was because of the loc or what it was, but it definitely sounded a bit different.
anyway, both should work just fine. you're probably connecting something wrong if its not working. should be very simple though. just spice into the positive and negative wires.
get us pics and we can help out a little more
Old 03-03-14, 12:07 AM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

I tried using the 2 subwoofer wires one is yellow one is red connected them to loc didn't work I took the rear speakers leads also didn't work I don't get it Somone said try this grey wire to stock amp I unpinned those 4 tiny wires inside the grey wire everything works but volume is lost
Attached Thumbnails 2002 gs 430 with mark levison system installing loc converter please help..-image.jpg  
Old 03-03-14, 12:16 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Use the speaker wires that go to the subwoofer from up by the deck area.

Let me find my pics. for you
Old 03-03-14, 12:21 AM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Anything or any suggestions would be great at this point as like I said I tried the lady side connector the biggest connector for rear speaker leads sounded like a terd lol also tried the red and yellow wire on rear shelf to subwoofer didn't work either I have cache cloc a Rockford mono amp and a infinity kappa sub I only wanted bass boost I'm happy with the components but this loc converter install is pissing me off some people say use subwoofer leads some say use rear speaker some say front speaker like wat the hell is this mark levison crap it's easy peasy on non ml
Old 03-03-14, 12:29 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by clos430
Use the speaker wires that go to the subwoofer from up by the deck area.

Let me find my pics. for you
YES

Originally Posted by Vipdoutboi
Anything or any suggestions would be great at this point as like I said I tried the lady side connector the biggest connector for rear speaker leads sounded like a terd lol also tried the red and yellow wire on rear shelf to subwoofer didn't work either I have cache cloc a Rockford mono amp and a infinity kappa sub I only wanted bass boost I'm happy with the components but this loc converter install is pissing me off some people say use subwoofer leads some say use rear speaker some say front speaker like wat the hell is this mark levison crap it's easy peasy on non ml
listen to Clos.
Pick up the signal directly from the wires that are at the subwoofer.
You might be tapping into the wires that are going INTO the amp and not the output ones.
Regardless, give it a try at connecting the loc straight at the wires at the sub.

But just to get some more details. what exactly makes you think its not working? Is your amp even turning on? When you install an amp in your car you will need ground, power, the audio signal source to input into the amp AND a remote wire to signal the amp to turn on. when connecting an amp into a factory system you will need an additional module to make sure the amp turns on with the rest of the system. did you install something to make sure this happens? im thinking perhaps the loc signal is working, but you don't have a remote input on your amp to turn it on- and so youre not getting any sound from the amp. correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-03-14, 12:30 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

It's simple man.

Disconnect your stock rear subwoofer
Tap your LOC into the subwoofer connector
Run the RCA to your amplifier and your set.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 gs 430 with mark levison system installing loc converter please help..-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2002 gs 430 with mark levison system installing loc converter please help..