GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

For those with wood grain steering wheels....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 05:29 PM
RCFC89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those with wood grain steering wheels....

I recently picked up a 01-04 Gs wooden steering wheel for my Gs430. It was the only option the original owner didn't purchase with the car. My car has the Tan interior with the reddish/orange wood grain accents including the ashtray. Upon receiving the wheel I immediately noticed the color was off on the wheel. Is this normal or where there different colors/ shades available in the wood color?
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-14, 05:31 PM
RCFC89
Pole Position

The pattern is totally different as well, Mine look to be much more wavy and smooth.
Attached Thumbnails For those with wood grain steering wheels....-wood.jpg  
Old 02-28-14, 05:43 PM
RCFC89
Pole Position

Looks better in the sun color wise but still darker.
Attached Thumbnails For those with wood grain steering wheels....-wood1.jpg  
Old 02-28-14, 09:41 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can confirm the wood pattern is different. The doors and center console is just a wood burl print on plastic whereas the steering wheel is genuine wood. This is why the difference is noticeable. As for the color the GS only came with one color wood steering wheel. There was no light or dark version.
Old 02-28-14, 09:50 PM
RCFC89
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
I can confirm the wood pattern is different. The doors and center console is just a wood burl print on plastic whereas the steering wheel is genuine wood. This is why the difference is noticeable. As for the color the GS only came with one color wood steering wheel. There was no light or dark version.
Fantastic. Thank you for your time. I knew something was going on with the other accents. They looked fake.
Old 03-01-14, 05:37 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you sure that wheel didn't come out of a sc430 or an rx? They have the same exact wheels but with different wood options I believe.

Also the door and console pieces probably have a thin veneer or wood. Yakuza may know more since he re-wrapped those pieces but I know the ashtray I bought had thin veneer. I sanded through it The wheel is the real deal because I sanded and re-colored that.

The ashtray I bought was out of a gs430 and it was darker than my 99 wood, that's why I tried to re-color it.
Old 03-01-14, 08:38 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, all factory wood trim in the 98-05 GS is genuine, real wood. There is no fake wood that came from the factory, in these cars.
Old 03-01-14, 08:42 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Originally Posted by RCFC89
I recently picked up a 01-04 Gs wooden steering wheel for my Gs430. It was the only option the original owner didn't purchase with the car. My car has the Tan interior with the reddish/orange wood grain accents including the ashtray. Upon receiving the wheel I immediately noticed the color was off on the wheel. Is this normal or where there different colors/ shades available in the wood color?
My GS430 has the factory wood steering wheel installed originally. My wood trim within the car all match. The only issue I have with the wood wheel is that the plastic coating over the wood is turning white in color. I think if I were to send the wheel off to a repair shop, they could re-coat the wheel for me. Not sure if this is an issue with other owners or if it's just my vehicle.

I would guess that the steering wheel you purchased second hand, is either from another Lexus that uses the same basic steering wheel, or the color is off simply because it is from a different stock/supply of wood that was used during a different time frame than when your vehicle was originally built.
Old 03-01-14, 09:02 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
Actually, all factory wood trim in the 98-05 GS is genuine, real wood. There is no fake wood that came from the factory, in these cars.
Sorry to break it to you but all the door panels and center console and ashtray are 100% plastic. If you think they are real wood you're mistaken. If anything (as tiger4life stated) there might be a super thin veneer, but thats it, but I'm pretty certain its a print. The first gen SC definitely came with real wood but no the GS.
Old 03-01-14, 09:45 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Sorry to break it to you but all the door panels and center console and ashtray are 100% plastic. If you think they are real wood you're mistaken. If anything (as tiger4life stated) there might be a super thin veneer, but thats it, but I'm pretty certain its a print. The first gen SC definitely came with real wood but no the GS.
It's thin veneer but it's real wood. I sanded through it.
Old 03-01-14, 09:50 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

That wheel is probably out of an RX or an SC. It wouldn't be off that much in color and grain.

My wheel was out of a ES and it was super dark cherry red.

The GS430 ashtray I messed up have a darker red/brown tone that was obviously different from my more orange 99 wood. I'm pretty sure they changed the wood color on the 01-05 because the ashtrays always seem to standout when you see them in a 98-00.

You can sand and re-stain it but it takes a good amount of time to do. I did it though. From and to below.
Attached Thumbnails For those with wood grain steering wheels....-1.jpg   For those with wood grain steering wheels....-2.jpg  

Last edited by tiger4life; 03-01-14 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-01-14, 10:16 AM
RCFC89
Pole Position

It's definitely from a Gs. I also picked up an ashtray that I'm reselling because I got a steal on it with purchasing it with the wheel and the ashtray matches the steering wheel grain and color perfect. So are you saying the Gs ashtray also fits in the Rx? I've gone through tons of interior pics of Gs's and in every pic the steering wheel and other accents are noticeably different in color. I believe this bolds well for what Yaku is saying. The wheel is real wood where the accents are printed. If they are a very thin layer of veneer they weren't cut from the same material used in our steering wheels. As you see in the pic below the wheel I have doesn't have the dark cherry red color seen in the ES wheel. Its definitely from a Gs.
Attached Thumbnails For those with wood grain steering wheels....-wood1.jpg  
Old 03-01-14, 10:26 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by RCFC89
It's definitely from a Gs. I also picked up an ashtray that I'm reselling because I got a steal on it with purchasing it with the wheel and the ashtray matches the steering wheel grain and color perfect. So are you saying the Gs ashtray also fits in the Rx? I've gone through tons of interior pics of Gs's and in every pic the steering wheel and other accents are noticeably different in color. I believe this bolds well for what Yaku is saying. The wheel is real wood where the accents are printed. If they are a very thin layer of veneer they weren't cut from the same material used in our steering wheels. As you see in the pic below the wheel I have doesn't have the dark cherry red color seen in the ES wheel. Its definitely from a Gs.
No the ashtrays aren't the same. I was just telling you that the SC430, GS430, and RX use the same exact wood wheel just different color woods. Some ES's came with wood wheels also but they don't have the gun grips that the others do.
Old 03-01-14, 04:23 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Again, no it is real wood. Every piece of trim that looks like wood from the factory, is real wood in the GS. Lexus's process of creating wood trimmed pieces is the same as other manufacturers. The wood is cut in thin sheets (like paper) and adhered to whatever trim piece they desire, then coated with either lacquer or clear plastic. They cut the wood in thin sheets so that it will be pliable and conform to nearly any shape they wish.

The steering wheel is not a thin sheet of wood veneer. It is two pieces of wood that is joined in the middle, around the metal steering wheel rim. They then clue the two sides together and coat it with lacquer or clear plastic. Similar process, but using solid pieces of wood.

From the factory, there is no fake wood in the GS.
Old 03-01-14, 04:41 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Fine. Veneer on plastic LOL

Quick Reply: For those with wood grain steering wheels....