GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Quick Question About Oil, Etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 11:32 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Quick Question About Oil, Etc

A lot of questions, sorry. I have looked most of this up, just wanted some 2nd opinions. So, for all of the GS300 guys out there, I'm planning on doing a big maintenance soon on my GS. I don't drive it everyday so I've been procrastinating. I finally have a sunday off so I guess Ill knock it out. It needs a new serpentine belt, along with some new plugs, air filter and cabin air filter, oil change w/ filter, and then some seafoam treatment (maybe) I might just do the seafoam treatment a 100 miles or so closer to the next oil change. Anyway, just want to make sure I'm on the right track here.

So from what I've read, the Torque Master Plugs seems to be awesome, especially for the GS400 guys. I've heard good things about them, and I've heard they can do some justice for us 6 bangers. So, I found them on L-tuned, $12 a plug. Yikes, thats a lot. But, for our 6 cyl engines, is it really noticable? Does it really help that much to spend that much on a plug? Or would it be better to run something else, maybe like an NGK Precious Metal, like Double Platinum for the money?

Serpentine belt, I plan to go with a good ol' Gates Micro V. Those belts have been doing me justice for all my Nissans, and even my Chevy. But is there anything else that would possibly work better for our cars?

Air Filter, well, I still have the stock air box, so I guess a replacement is in order, I'm thinking about just a regular Wix filter. But they have a K&N one, but its 65$. Would there be any huge difference with that? Or is it best to just run a regular replacement?

Cabin Air Filter, I've seen some cool ones that are scented and seem really interesting, kinda pricy, but if anyone is running a cabin air filter like that, how is it. Do you recommend it? Or should I just stick with an OEM one?

And Oil. Now, My GS is just about to hit 120k. The previous owner was running synthetic, and for high milage cars, I like to run Mobil 1 High Mileage Advance, with an OEM or Wix filter. Works wonders in my Nissan's. But, our Lexus is a whole different machine. For our cars, what would be a good oil to run for our 2J's? And the filter that goes with it.

I ask all of these questions just to get some 2nd opinions on what's the best to use, and what's not. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-14, 11:44 AM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

$12 a plug? wtf? i'd go with denso plugs. Gates makes excellent belts. Air filter is up to you.... i got the blitz drop in filter. Cabin air filter is also blitz which really last a lifetime and are super high quality. Oil is really whatever.. run the viscosity they recommend on the cap and use the toyota filters. My 2 cents.
Old 02-25-14, 02:56 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
$12 a plug? wtf? i'd go with denso plugs. Gates makes excellent belts. Air filter is up to you.... i got the blitz drop in filter. Cabin air filter is also blitz which really last a lifetime and are super high quality. Oil is really whatever.. run the viscosity they recommend on the cap and use the toyota filters. My 2 cents.
I was thinking about the blitz cabin air filter. Is it sented at all?
Old 02-25-14, 04:00 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NGK/Denso double plat
gates/mitsuboshi belt
ebay whatever cabin air
apexi drop in (stock intake)
m1 full synthetic
bosch D+/fram ultra
Old 02-25-14, 09:51 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by offbad
NGK/Denso double plat
gates/mitsuboshi belt
ebay whatever cabin air
apexi drop in (stock intake)
m1 full synthetic
bosch D+/fram ultra
Is that what you are recommending, or what you use?
Old 02-25-14, 10:04 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo722
Is that what you are recommending, or what you use?
sorry that's what i use.
i've had no problems.
Old 02-26-14, 12:53 AM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

I was thinking about the blitz cabin air filter. Is it sented at all?
No it's not scented but it's hands down the best cabin air filter you can get imo.
Old 02-26-14, 08:14 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I use the Mobil 1 synthetic for high mileage. I have read a bunch of people on the forum also use it and never heard of any problems with it. And like someone else stated I would just go with the Denso plugs....no need to change to something else. I havent changed my cabin air filter yet but definitely planning on doing that this spring. The scented ones sounds pretty interesting. Anyone use a scented one that has input?
Old 02-26-14, 08:37 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
No it's not scented but it's hands down the best cabin air filter you can get imo.
Looking at the reviews thats good. Lifetime filter, and I've read the scented ones are a waste of money, the scents run out in like a day.
Old 03-01-14, 04:32 AM
motorking
Driver School Candidate

A lot of questions, sorry. I have looked most of this up, just wanted some 2nd opinions. So, for all of the GS300 guys out there, I'm planning on doing a big maintenance soon on my GS. I don't drive it everyday so I've been procrastinating. I finally have a sunday off so I guess Ill knock it out. It needs a new serpentine belt, along with some new plugs, air filter and cabin air filter, oil change w/ filter, and then some seafoam treatment (maybe) I might just do the seafoam treatment a 100 miles or so closer to the next oil change. Anyway, just want to make sure I'm on the right track here.

So from what I've read, the Torque Master Plugs seems to be awesome, especially for the GS400 guys. I've heard good things about them, and I've heard they can do some justice for us 6 bangers. So, I found them on L-tuned, $12 a plug. Yikes, thats a lot. But, for our 6 cyl engines, is it really noticable? Does it really help that much to spend that much on a plug? Or would it be better to run something else, maybe like an NGK Precious Metal, like Double Platinum for the money?
Torque Master? Gimmick company selling chinese plugs.Use Autolite Iridium Fine wrie plugs for 7.99 each and you will be amazed at the improvement in performance and fuel economy
Serpentine belt, I plan to go with a good ol' Gates Micro V. Those belts have been doing me justice for all my Nissans, and even my Chevy. But is there anything else that would possibly work better for our cars?
Gates makes excellent belts

Air Filter, well, I still have the stock air box, so I guess a replacement is in order, I'm thinking about just a regular Wix filter. But they have a K&N one, but its 65$. Would there be any huge difference with that? Or is it best to just run a regular replacement?

Fram air filters are 99% efficient, K+N are 60%, meaning they a whole lot more dirt in your engine

Cabin Air Filter, I've seen some cool ones that are scented and seem really interesting, kinda pricy, but if anyone is running a cabin air filter like that, how is it. Do you recommend it? Or should I just stick with an OEM one?

Fram Fresh breeze filters are carbon impregnated like the OE filter and also have Arm and Hammer baking soda for additional odor absorbing, around 18$ retail

And Oil. Now, My GS is just about to hit 120k. The previous owner was running synthetic, and for high milage cars, I like to run Mobil 1 High Mileage Advance, with an OEM or Wix filter. Works wonders in my Nissan's. But, our Lexus is a whole different machine. For our cars, what would be a good oil to run for our 2J's? And the filter that goes with it.
You should continue to use high quality synthetic, 120k is hardly high mileage for a 2JZ engine, I recommend a FRAM Ultra filter, it is by far the best oil filter in the industry, look on the Bob is the Oil Guy website for information.
I ask all of these questions just to get some 2nd opinions on what's the best to use, and what's not. Thanks in advance!
I am biased, I work for FRAM/Autolite and Prestone. Look up Scrapyard Scamp on facebook, see the 2JZGTE powered Plymouth Scamp we built at FRAM for the hot rod power tour last year, it was also recently featured in GrassRoots Motorsports magazine. Make sure you check/ change your coolant as it is likely overdue. What about your timing belt?
Old 03-01-14, 12:01 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by motorking
I am biased, I work for FRAM/Autolite and Prestone. Look up Scrapyard Scamp on facebook, see the 2JZGTE powered Plymouth Scamp we built at FRAM for the hot rod power tour last year, it was also recently featured in GrassRoots Motorsports magazine. Make sure you check/ change your coolant as it is likely overdue. What about your timing belt?
All fluids are getting flushed, timing belt is being done at lexus within the next month. I was supposed to have it done several weeks ago, but I got a flat and i missed my appointment. I dont drive it everyday so I literally doing everything one step at a time.
Old 03-02-14, 07:37 AM
motorking
Driver School Candidate

All fluids are getting flushed, timing belt is being done at lexus within the next month. I was supposed to have it done several weeks ago, but I got a flat and i missed my appointment. I dont drive it everyday so I literally doing everything one step at a time.
That is great, that timing belt is very important and glad your not shopping for the cheapest place to do it. It only needs to be done once every 100k and getting it done by someone who does not know how or uses a cheap belt is dangerous to the health of that 2J.
A good tech will replace the water pump, the tensioner and carfully check all pulleys for wear while doing this, also a great time to get the coolant flushed and changed.
Old 03-02-14, 04:34 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Back on Subject so far

For Spark plugs, I'm still debating on Torque Masters, Denso's or NGK's. Just don't know which is best for our cars.

Serpentine Belt is Gates.

Air Filter is OEM until I get rid of the stock box for the Injen I want.

Cabin Air Filter, Im going with Blitz

And Oil im not to sure.

So my main questions so far are, what is the best Spark Plugs and Oil to run in the GS300?

I did see your post motorking. But I'm not real big on fram or autolite products. Not that they are bad, but id rather have densos than autolites for my Lexus. Thats the direct OEM plug, so you get the idea.

Last edited by Aristo722; 03-02-14 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-02-14, 06:11 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know, once you get to a certain level, I don't think there is a best, just a matter of preference. Personally, I think that synthetic oils are better than dino oil. That aside, I think M1, Amsoil, and Royal Purple are all top-of-the line oils. One may perform somewhat better than the other in one area or another. But they all provide superior lubrication and viscosity, seal protection and engine cleaning properties. You can probably find as many singing the praises for one as for the other. I don't think it's going to matter that much as long as you keep up the scheduled maintenance. As an FYI, Mobile makes Toyota oils for them.

As for the spark plugs, I have always been one to believe that the manufacturer knows best. So I am partial to the Denso's and NGKs. I have never used the Torque Masters, so I really don't have a basis for comparison. Whatever you choose, I believe it is recommended that you use double-grounded plugs.
Old 03-03-14, 08:04 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
You know, once you get to a certain level, I don't think there is a best, just a matter of preference. Personally, I think that synthetic oils are better than dino oil. That aside, I think M1, Amsoil, and Royal Purple are all top-of-the line oils. One may perform somewhat better than the other in one area or another. But they all provide superior lubrication and viscosity, seal protection and engine cleaning properties. You can probably find as many singing the praises for one as for the other. I don't think it's going to matter that much as long as you keep up the scheduled maintenance. As an FYI, Mobile makes Toyota oils for them.

As for the spark plugs, I have always been one to believe that the manufacturer knows best. So I am partial to the Denso's and NGKs. I have never used the Torque Masters, so I really don't have a basis for comparison. Whatever you choose, I believe it is recommended that you use double-grounded plugs.
Yeah I've always ran Mobil 1 in my cars. But, I'm stumped on these plugs. I've read that Torque masters give some torque and real good fuel economy. But I'm still stumped, the way its looking Ill go Densos but really want top quality in the car.

Quick Reply: Quick Question About Oil, Etc