GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Locking Problem

Old 02-12-14, 11:15 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Locking Problem

Alright guys, got another post and I hope I'm posting in the right area, but I have another, rather annoying problem on my 02 GS. It has to do with the door locks. Basically, I press the lock button on the key to lock the doors but only the rear doors lock. The front driver and passenger side doors don't lock. Even when I press the lock button inside on the doors, same thing. So I usually just lock the doors from the inside, and just manually lock the driver side door. The passenger door lock just doesn't want to lock, I can move it, but it just seems all flimsy and just snaps back into the unlock position, as if it cant lock at all. Does anyone know how I could go about fixing this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-14, 12:10 AM
islexusred
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo722
Alright guys, got another post and I hope I'm posting in the right area, but I have another, rather annoying problem on my 02 GS. It has to do with the door locks. Basically, I press the lock button on the key to lock the doors but only the rear doors lock. The front driver and passenger side doors don't lock. Even when I press the lock button inside on the doors, same thing. So I usually just lock the doors from the inside, and just manually lock the driver side door. The passenger door lock just doesn't want to lock, I can move it, but it just seems all flimsy and just snaps back into the unlock position, as if it cant lock at all. Does anyone know how I could go about fixing this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
check the lock cable but i think its most likely the actuator
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ators-diy.html
Old 02-13-14, 07:00 AM
DriftOner
Rookie

Actuators for sure. Cost should be around $20 if you replace just the motors yourself. Best investment I ever made in my GS.
Old 02-13-14, 10:09 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

it's probably the actuator.
Old 02-13-14, 10:48 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

I was hoping it wasn't that. Is there one that controls all the doors? And I saw a write up on that. Looks scary to do it myself.....
Old 02-13-14, 11:11 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for the actuator. There is an actuator in each door. Each one has a small electric motor in it. It gets weak or quits after a while. They are pretty easy to replace. Depending on how much money you want to spend, it can cost anywhere from about $200 per door at the dealer, $100 a door if you buy new actuators on eBay and replace them yourself or about $20 for all four doors if you buy the little motors on eBay and rebuild and replace the actuators yourself. Below are links to a couple of videos on how to replace it. It's actually easier than it looks in the video because you don't have to remove the window. Just put it all the way up.

Sorry, can't find Part II.
Old 02-14-14, 06:37 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
Another vote for the actuator. There is an actuator in each door. Each one has a small electric motor in it. It gets weak or quits after a while. They are pretty easy to replace. Depending on how much money you want to spend, it can cost anywhere from about $200 per door at the dealer, $100 a door if you buy new actuators on eBay and replace them yourself or about $20 for all four doors if you buy the little motors on eBay and rebuild and replace the actuators yourself. Below are links to a couple of videos on how to replace it. It's actually easier than it looks in the video because you don't have to remove the window. Just put it all the way up.

Lexus GS400/300 DIY Door Lock Actuator pt.1 - YouTube

Sorry, can't find Part II.
This will work actually. I'll give this a look when I get home from work! Thanks!
Old 02-14-14, 06:49 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo722
This will work actually. I'll give this a look when I get home from work! Thanks!
One more vote here. Actuators 100% sure
Old 02-14-14, 10:53 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

there's some bro on ebay who takes cores and ships you a working one for like 100 if you're hesitant
Old 02-14-14, 11:47 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's an actuator, geez, wow, unreal, what a shock, oh my...
Old 02-14-14, 04:31 PM
RainyGS
Driver School Candidate

Part 2......

And check this link out....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-actuator.html
Old 02-14-14, 04:38 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yup had the same problem. its the actuator. replaced 3 of them and everything is perfect now. if you are a DIY guy it should be a cheap 20 buck fix like said above.
Old 02-14-14, 08:27 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by monkey92
yup had the same problem. its the actuator. replaced 3 of them and everything is perfect now. if you are a DIY guy it should be a cheap 20 buck fix like said above.
How hard of a job is it to on your own?
Old 02-14-14, 08:58 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you follow the video on how to disassemble the door panel its pretty easy. the hardest part would be to crack open the actuator where the motor is in since the plastic is really brittle. i used a blade and cut/pry it open. and be careful not to let the round gear inside to fall off.
Old 02-16-14, 02:23 AM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Yup it's actuators............ I did driver front and driver rear same time. It looks or sounds intimidating, but just follow the video and the sticky threads to the "T" and you'll be fine. GL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Locking Problem