GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs400 stuck in Parking checked fuse and brake light are working

Old 01-28-14, 07:47 AM
Gs400blk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs400 stuck in Parking checked fuse and brake light are working

It happened once before when it was in D and I went to put it in P in wouldn't go pass N,I was in a hurry so I kinda forced it in to P. Didn't happen again till yesterday In the am.This time it was stuck in P and wouldn't move at all.I had some time to mess with it so I took the center piece off and I can see the little white/clear plastic piece that is suppose to move down to let you move the *** but it doesnt move whwn I press the brakes.Im currently doing it the manual way by pushing that black spring thing down,but would like to get it to work regular again.I checked the fuses in the small box down by the kick panel on my driver side all in good shape.I also made sure my brake light are working properly and everything seems fine.Could that sensor by the brake pedal be going out or is it more of a shifter box issue?

Also sometimes when I'm turning or leaving a light I hear some kind of watery substance swishing from under my dashboard more towards my passenger side.
Any idea what it could be,my A/c doesn't not work and it has a brand new compressor could it have something to do with that??my high stays low and my low stays high when trying to charge.

Last edited by Gs400blk; 01-28-14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-28-14, 08:45 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Have some one stand at the back and verify the brake lights light up when you press the brake pedal. If they dont then the problem is with the brake switch, which gives signals to the gear shifter interlock.

Salim
Old 01-28-14, 09:06 AM
Gs400blk
Rookie

Brake lights are working fine.
Old 01-28-14, 03:50 PM
Gs400blk
Rookie

Bump anyone?
Old 01-28-14, 05:33 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah sounds like a failing brake switch. As for the bubbling noise sounds like heater core is going out. May need to bleed the cooling system. Put front of car up on ramps or jacks. Turn car on, open radiator cap, turn heater on max, let the car get to operating temp and watch for bubbling and replenish fluid levels as necessary
Old 01-28-14, 06:08 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neutral safety switch?
Old 01-28-14, 10:15 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys remember these cars are approaching 15yrs old and 200k miles plus, I just fixed this exact same issue on a 2007 srt8 shift gate the brake switch and all were communicating fine how ever the action of the unlock mech in the shift gate was simply just broke. I researched that particular shift gate and just removed the safety bar that was deactivated by depressing the brake pedal. Oh and yes now that srt8 can shift into gear with out depressing the brake pedal but it saved the customer over a grand and he doesnt have kids as that was the cost of the new shifter mech I only charged half hour labor and he was on his way. There is a chance that the sensor is working on the side that lights the brake lights up and failing on the side that send signal to brake/shifter lock mech but given the cars age I'd venture to say that the solenoid that releases the plastic lock or the plastic lock arm itself has simply failed. Again if you can depress the manual shift lock override lever and remove it from park then it will most likely be sensor but if doing that still keeps the shifter in park then the plastic arm mechanism has broken off and you just need to remove shifter assemble and remove and broken pieces found and or the shift lock arm itself although again this will by pass the safety feature of having to press brake before being able to shift. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-16-14, 04:31 PM
Gs400blk
Rookie

I replaced the brake switch and still doing the same thing..Any way of finding out if my neutral safety switch is bad or going bad without replacing it?
Old 02-17-14, 03:45 AM
Gs400blk
Rookie

??? Help!!
Old 02-17-14, 05:00 PM
Gs400blk
Rookie

You guys are no help
Old 02-19-14, 12:49 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs400blk
You guys are no help
People are trying to help you.. I dont think anyone does not, not want to help you... Not everyone is a mechanic
Old 02-21-14, 04:41 AM
Lesterkiwi
Driver School Candidate

Yes there is a way. You are going to have to have it diagnosed with or without a professional. You will need a wiring schematic, and a digital multimeter. Then you will have to see if you are getting the corrrect votages to the shift lock actuator and/or the neutral safety switch. If this above your ability, then I suggest taking it to a professional. Thats why they charge a diagnosic fee.
Old 02-21-14, 10:13 AM
bjlisiono
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had this problem too when i always had to press the shift lock to change gears. I solved it by changing the shift lock ecu, part number 85903-30020.
Old 02-21-14, 10:36 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bjlisiono
I had this problem too when i always had to press the shift lock to change gears. I solved it by changing the shift lock ecu, part number 85903-30020.
This is probably the correct answer. I had checked bulbs and changed the brake switch but this ended up being the problem. I had a mechanic diagnose and change mines. I'm very diy but I don't have the manual so I can't tell you how to test it. What I do know is that soda and water can get down there and mess it up.
Old 02-21-14, 12:51 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a wrecking yard, get that aluminum piece in front of the shifter with the cooling fins on it. Mine did same thing, thats what it was. Brake lights worked fine. Instead of purchasing one though, I just crammed a tiny piece of rubber into the passenger side of the shifter (on the side theres a small port with an actuator finger and small "O" ring, block it to the down position). This will make the shift lock inop...up to you. No one drives my car but me...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gs400 stuck in Parking checked fuse and brake light are working