GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First car, first accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 07:58 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did they say you were not at fault? Maybe i missed it.
Old 01-14-14, 08:11 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one has full coverage on their vehicle, it doesn't matter who was at fault. I'm guessing this is the case here.

Technically, since he was the one who did the rear-ending, they will probably find him at fault. I was in a very similar scenario one time where I rear-ended someone who had shot out in front of me and then slammed their brakes on. My insurance company told me I was following too closely and therefore was to blame...even though I clearly had no choice with the way the other person cut me off.

Hopefully it works out differently for OP.
Old 01-14-14, 09:37 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank God you are alright. The car is definitely repairable. The most important thing is that your ok and alive bro!! ... I was in an accident last year too... and it was not pleasant.. Bought everything out my pocket just so my insurnace wouldn't go up. I did not collide with anyone, so that was the lucky saver. From the looks of it, you might need a new hood, front bumper, grill, headlights, and if the radiator was pushed back, that too. Aside from that, evrything else looks solid. Hope everything works out bro!!!!! In your favor too!!
Attached Thumbnails First car, first accident-front-side-woo-woo.jpg  
Old 01-14-14, 11:21 AM
mikobangz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxx430
Did they say you were not at fault? Maybe i missed it.
The Geico rep said I would most likely be not held liable for the incident. I'm waiting on her call to confirm this though.

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
If one has full coverage on their vehicle, it doesn't matter who was at fault. I'm guessing this is the case here.

Technically, since he was the one who did the rear-ending, they will probably find him at fault. I was in a very similar scenario one time where I rear-ended someone who had shot out in front of me and then slammed their brakes on. My insurance company told me I was following too closely and therefore was to blame...even though I clearly had no choice with the way the other person cut me off.

Hopefully it works out differently for OP.
Yeah I have full coverage. The rep said I would most likely not be held liable so hopefully they keep this verdict so I won't have to pay my deductible.

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Thank God you are alright. The car is definitely repairable. The most important thing is that your ok and alive bro!! ... I was in an accident last year too... and it was not pleasant.. Bought everything out my pocket just so my insurnace wouldn't go up. I did not collide with anyone, so that was the lucky saver. From the looks of it, you might need a new hood, front bumper, grill, headlights, and if the radiator was pushed back, that too. Aside from that, evrything else looks solid. Hope everything works out bro!!!!! In your favor too!!
Yeah cars are definitely repairable. I would have did it out of pocket too but the cost came up to $4.1k total and I'm a college student working part time so I don't even have that. What you listed that needed to be repaired is exactly what's needed to be repaired with the addition of the radiator support Lol. How much did your repair cost?
Old 01-15-14, 03:50 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikobangz
Yeah cars are definitely repairable. I would have did it out of pocket too but the cost came up to $4.1k total and I'm a college student working part time so I don't even have that. What you listed that needed to be repaired is exactly what's needed to be repaired with the addition of the radiator support Lol. How much did your repair cost?
I got VERY lucky bro.. I found a great member on here by the name of LALEX1.. If I spelled it wrong, I'm sorry!! His name is Robert. But anyhow, he sold me front bumper + driver side fender (paint matched/OEM) for around or under $600. He was very helpful to me. Very great communication. On my part I coughed up like $1100, more or less. On new headlights, fog lights, and just little things that were needed. Off www.sewellparts.com. All OEM parts, quality, and with my CL account I got GREAT DISCOUNTS!! Did it all myself in my garage. It's really because of LALEX1 tho bro. I can honestly say CL saved me!!!!!!! From the lucky save to DIYs, I saved a ton of bucks off this forum. I'm very greatful as I've been where you are now and I got out of it with a piece of mind. Here's a few before/after pics to motivate you in any way possible my bro!! Hope everything goes smooth and in your favor!!!
Attached Thumbnails First car, first accident-bumper-new-1.jpg   First car, first accident-new-fender-1.jpg   First car, first accident-rebuild1.jpg   First car, first accident-finish1.jpg   First car, first accident-lights-1.jpg  

Old 01-15-14, 05:06 PM
mikobangz
Rookie

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
I got VERY lucky bro.. I found a great member on here by the name of LALEX1.. If I spelled it wrong, I'm sorry!! His name is Robert. But anyhow, he sold me front bumper + driver side fender (paint matched/OEM) for around or under $600. He was very helpful to me. Very great communication. On my part I coughed up like $1100, more or less. On new headlights, fog lights, and just little things that were needed. Off www.sewellparts.com. All OEM parts, quality, and with my CL account I got GREAT DISCOUNTS!! Did it all myself in my garage. It's really because of LALEX1 tho bro. I can honestly say CL saved me!!!!!!! From the lucky save to DIYs, I saved a ton of bucks off this forum. I'm very greatful as I've been where you are now and I got out of it with a piece of mind. Here's a few before/after pics to motivate you in any way possible my bro!! Hope everything goes smooth and in your favor!!!
Wow that's great! You didn't even need to use your insurance Lol. There's nothing like the sight of powered on new headlights on our car.

The Geico adjuster called me today and informed me they found more damage so the total repair cost is $5.5k and he said the car wasn't close to being a total loss. This makes me wonder exactly how much do they value our cars at?
Old 01-15-14, 06:39 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's great! You didn't even need to use your insurance Lol. There's nothing like the sight of powered on new headlights on our car.

The Geico adjuster called me today and informed me they found more damage so the total repair cost is $5.5k and he said the car wasn't close to being a total loss. This makes me wonder exactly how much do they value our cars at?
I received $10,000 for my 99 GS300 w/ 153,000 when it was totaled last year. If the car cosmetically is in good shape which mine was, they hold their value. Crazy thing was I only paid $7400 for the car.
Old 01-15-14, 06:44 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SprtDesign
I received $10,000 for my 99 GS300 w/ 153,000 when it was totaled last year. If the car cosmetically is in good shape which mine was, they hold their value. Crazy thing was I only paid $7400 for the car.
Seriously? Who is your insurance company?
Old 01-15-14, 08:52 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Told ya you'd be fine brotha - i'd ask them to inspect the front suspension components while they are at it... Maybe you'll lucky and get some ball joints or upper control arms
Old 01-16-14, 05:24 AM
BIGMerle
Pole Position

They were replaced and upgraded when I had the car....they should still be perfect. Not a bad idea though to have them look at it. Don't forget to make sure you go to Gary for the alignment....he has all the specs saved on the machine
Old 01-16-14, 06:09 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by egs21
Seriously? Who is your insurance company?
State Farm. I instantly agreed to the offer and asked them to send me the check asap as I thought they had royally screwed up the numbers. LOL

It was funny though, I was rear ended but the rest of the car looked immaculate. The interior was refreshed/restored recently and the adjuster when inspecting the car said "Was it in an accident? It looks new." till he saw the rear. Both 1/4 panels were buckled. pretty much instant total loss.
Old 01-16-14, 09:32 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Just FYI...everyone, this isn' the standard lol!!! You were lucky to get that amount. Book value is lower than that. Yeah you got very lucky dude lol. I would've cashed that ASAP and held out until I was able to find a 05 GS430 or 03 SD White/saddle lol.
Old 01-16-14, 09:36 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

As far as your incident goes bro I would only worry about the radiator issue. Make sure that gets properly put back into place. The correct distance from the engine. All specs get back to normal as possible. The mounts properly installed, check radiator for leaks after it's repaired if already not getting replaced, and that's about it. Everything cosmetical will feel back to normal and look just as good again bro. If not, better with new headlights Post pics asap bro when you fix yours so we can see everything else turned out good. Hope things get resolved ASAP
Old 01-16-14, 09:41 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

That's AMAZING lol!!!! Man you could get something serious for that amount nowadays on the market bro. For a 300, it's something I would've sacrificed lol. Man 10k, that's allot for that mileage you said on the car my bro. Hope that turned out good for you and that it put you at a better spot, word up!!!
Old 01-16-14, 09:42 AM
BIGMerle
Pole Position

and get that TTE lip and kit put on when they repaint that bumper!!

Quick Reply: First car, first accident