GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Started with a leak, an now......

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-14, 06:43 PM
BigTexGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the support aneidiaz and yea, these repairs are getting pricey.

Update: 1-10-14

Comfirmed head gasket blown. Had a cylinder leak down test performed and it failed. I'm just hoping nothing else is damaged. I'm even considering doing a swap since my lovely partners aren't contributing. I'll keep you all posted...
Old 01-10-14, 07:26 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Why did it blow a hg in the first place? It is pretty much unheard of on these engines doing that out if the blue. You have to overheat it pretty badly to blow the hg. Usually that will end up with a warped head as well.
Old 01-11-14, 09:16 PM
Coustic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigTexGS
THIS IS MY FIRST TIME POSTING.

JUST CHANGED THE THERMOSTAT AND DROVE HER AROUND THE BLOCK ONLY TO BE DISAPPOINTED THAT SHE IS STILL OVERHEATING. ALL OUT OF IDEAS AND MY POCKETS ARE SLIMMING DOWN. ANY IDEAS I CAN TRY BEFORE I CALL MY EXTENDED WARRANTY AND LET THEM DEAL WITH IT...
Im just curious.. if you have extended warranty why not just claim it on there?
Old 01-16-14, 06:15 PM
BigTexGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coustic
Im just curious.. if you have extended warranty why not just claim it on there?
Those where my intensions before I figured out just how useless they are.
Old 01-20-14, 10:02 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Wassup bro??? What's the status on the car? I hope everything is good!
Old 01-25-14, 06:41 AM
BigTexGS
Driver School Candidate

Update 1-25-14

Well, my extended warranty failed to help out with my ride and I'm currently working things out with my bank to get my refund. Maybe JUST maybe, I'll be able to just do a engine swap and get what I want. Who knows... I'll keep yall posted....
Old 01-25-14, 05:41 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a couple of stock motors if you are interested.
Old 01-28-14, 07:12 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

There you go BigTexGS!!!!
Old 01-28-14, 10:00 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Well to chime in late a blown head gasket is quite curious, as I agree with the above said that is very hard to actually do, not to mention you said you smelt coolant in vents when you called for heat that is usually a bad heater core not head gasket. Bad head gaskets will either produce a sweet antifreeze burn smell out your exhaust if its leaking into cylinder head chamber or it will as also mention mix water into the oil in which case you will see milky oil if its a lot. I had a car that leaked oil out of the cam seals like it was going out of style, you can see if the cam seals are leaking by taking the driver side vvti cam gear top cover off and looking behind the pully typically you will see it running down the front of the timing belt cover or front of block/head, either way if you are unsure of the timing belt last change I would spring for the $700 if that includes parts labor and what not for the cam/ crank seals timing belt tensioner and what not you will get that peace of mind of having the front of the motor sealed and timing belt gremlin off your back. You could also do your own compression test to see if you have a bad cylinder these are very simple and a compression checker good one at least can be had for $50 or less check all cylinders if compression is with in spec then I would be suspicious as to whether you really have a blown head gasket. All else fails a complete take out can be had with tranny from salvage yards for $1100 then labor to pull yours out and put new used in seems reasonable if your car is clean and mint. Good luck with the venture hope it turns out to be easier and less drastic than your expecting.
Old 02-28-14, 06:49 PM
BigTexGS
Driver School Candidate

Update: Feb. 28, 2014

Finally saved up the money to have my heads done and front seals replaced. New timing belt, tensioner and a few more things looked at. Not very happy with how everything panned out but I really cant complain cause I'll be driving really soon. I guess the twin turbo will have to wait as well. I did find some extra money in my piggy bank to fund some coilovers. Which ones will do though??? Seen some Megans EZ that's not gonna hurt my pockets to much... Has anyone had any major issues with them or know something better for around the 750$ price range! Plz let me know. Thanks for all your support guys. It really has helped in this long, drawn out nightmare of mines. Ill keep you posted!
Old 03-20-14, 04:19 PM
BigTexGS
Driver School Candidate

Update: March 20, 2014

So when you have metal shards floating around in your oil, that is obviously not a good thing. So yea, things were not looking good for ya boy. I did what anyone else would have done reading my threads, I bought the 2JZ. JDM Engine Corp in Richardson, Texas (Dallas) were very helpful and their warehouse was just full of everything you would want. I did purchase a driveshaft just incase it didnt bolt up to my factory. The only thing I have to look for is an Igniter and MAF with a intercooler to complete this build. I have the shop taking pics so hopefully I can post. Stay Tuned...

how do you upload pic btw??
Old 03-20-14, 05:17 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

get that igniter from www.car-parts.com
Old 05-03-14, 01:20 PM
BigTexGS
Driver School Candidate

ITS ALMOST DONE!!!
Attached Thumbnails Started with a leak, an now......-20140318_172455.jpg   Started with a leak, an now......-20140329_124933.jpg   Started with a leak, an now......-20140407_182043.jpg   Started with a leak, an now......-20140407_182001.jpg  
Old 05-03-14, 03:05 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by entryspeed
Well to chime in late a blown head gasket is quite curious, as I agree with the above said that is very hard to actually do, not to mention you said you smelt coolant in vents when you called for heat that is usually a bad heater core not head gasket. Bad head gaskets will either produce a sweet antifreeze burn smell out your exhaust if its leaking into cylinder head chamber or it will as also mention mix water into the oil in which case you will see milky oil if its a lot. I had a car that leaked oil out of the cam seals like it was going out of style, you can see if the cam seals are leaking by taking the driver side vvti cam gear top cover off and looking behind the pully typically you will see it running down the front of the timing belt cover or front of block/head, either way if you are unsure of the timing belt last change I would spring for the $700 if that includes parts labor and what not for the cam/ crank seals timing belt tensioner and what not you will get that peace of mind of having the front of the motor sealed and timing belt gremlin off your back. You could also do your own compression test to see if you have a bad cylinder these are very simple and a compression checker good one at least can be had for $50 or less check all cylinders if compression is with in spec then I would be suspicious as to whether you really have a blown head gasket. All else fails a complete take out can be had with tranny from salvage yards for $1100 then labor to pull yours out and put new used in seems reasonable if your car is clean and mint. Good luck with the venture hope it turns out to be easier and less drastic than your expecting.
Yea I would have simply told you your heater core is bad... Hence why you smell coolant and why it's over heating. If your oil wasn't milk.... Didn't blow a HG
Old 05-05-14, 07:45 PM
Andz94
Driver School Candidate

I just hasd this same problem! accept it started after i dropped in a new engine. 1 check timing pulley 2 check timing sensor. 3 make sure all wires to and from plugs. 4 make sure it is not the ignitor box! i replaced all of the above and now my car rides like a dream. but it all started with an oul leak at the timing case.

Quick Reply: Started with a leak, an now......