GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 11:42 PM
sssgood
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I saw after coming out one night....
Attached Thumbnails new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car-img_20131217_201324.jpg   new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car-img_20131217_191906.jpg  
Old 01-03-14, 10:40 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

For the brakes sticking check the inside hub area of the rear rotors. Where the parking break is. I thought my wifes transmission was failing in her buick. Turns out the rear drum brake was sticking. The wheel cylinder in it had leaked brake fluid inside and it was causing the brake shoes to stick.
Old 01-03-14, 12:50 PM
chubz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try and answer a few of these to the best of my knowledge.

Originally Posted by sssgood

Actually I have a few more questions about this car:

1. Is it just me or is the 5th gear on this transmission almost USEless. I only see it make like 100-200 rpm difference. like seriously, 2700rpm at 60mph -.-

this is for better getup when on the highway.

2.Do the instrument panel dim by itself sometimes? when I drive at night, i find it normal but sometimes kinda dim.

they dim automatically and the darker it is outside the darker it dims so the lights dont glare in your face while driving.

3. is the weight of this car front biased? It's not hard getting the rear to go sideways on snow. but then again this is my first rwd car

yes it is very easy to get sideways in these cars. use snow mode or add some weight in the trunk. i have some tools and a pump jack in the trunk which help a bit.

4. Mine came with a K&N air filter and ...um.. don't know much about it yet, like when to change...actually don't know nothing about it haha

K&N is a reusable filter. they sell a cleaning spray. clean it and slap it back in and you are good to go.

5. when it's really cold, and I just start driving, I hear this funny noise coming from either the right or the left (depending on the direction turning) which sounds like griding or more like bearings not lubricated well. It does go away after driving 10kms or so. There is also this clunking noise from the right side under the hood when going over bumps...worn out suspension component? mabey i'll look into these when spring comes along...5months later

6. are the stock yellow fog lights hids? Mines has the factoy HID beams...

no the factory hid equipped cars come with yellow capsules in the fog lights. they are regular halogen bulbs but the capsules give off the yellow hue. yellow is the best color for cutting through fog.

7. the display on my deck is shot. I wanted to replace the entire thing with one that has nav/bluetooth/etc. Is this something one can do by them selves or would I need to take it to an audio shop. I am good with my hands as long as there are directiions

yes it is pretty easy if you are handy with electronics. if you search there is a whole write up with pics and all for installation.

8. what are you guys normally getting for fuel economy? i do about 370km/230miles to the tank in 60% city and about 600km/372miles on the highway...thought it would do alot better, it's not very different from the v8s....

Thanks for all the input guys, this forum is really helpful
hope this was helpful in some way. good luck with figuring out the issue.
Old 01-03-14, 01:47 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sssgood

Isn't that kind of expensive? the battery i got is about 900 CCA with 4 years of free replacement+6 more years pro rated for $130 total..

My car came with compu start engine starter/alarm and it renders the oem remote useless/not being able to open the doors and trunk with key when it's locked with the cmpustart remote.

Actually I have a few more questions about this car:

1. Is it just me or is the 5th gear on this transmission almost USEless. I only see it make like 100-200 rpm difference. like seriously, 2700rpm at 60mph -.-

2.Do the instrument panel dim by itself sometimes? when I drive at night, i find it normal but sometimes kinda dim.

3. is the weight of this car front biased? It's not hard getting the rear to go sideways on snow. but then again this is my first rwd car

4. Mine came with a K&N air filter and ...um.. don't know much about it yet, like when to change...actually don't know nothing about it haha

5. when it's really cold, and I just start driving, I hear this funny noise coming from either the right or the left (depending on the direction turning) which sounds like griding or more like bearings not lubricated well. It does go away after driving 10kms or so. There is also this clunking noise from the right side under the hood when going over bumps...worn out suspension component? mabey i'll look into these when spring comes along...5months later

6. are the stock yellow fog lights hids? Mines has the factoy HID beams...

7. the display on my deck is shot. I wanted to replace the entire thing with one that has nav/bluetooth/etc. Is this something one can do by them selves or would I need to take it to an audio shop. I am good with my hands as long as there are directiions

8. what are you guys normally getting for fuel economy? i do about 370km/230miles to the tank in 60% city and about 600km/372miles on the highway...thought it would do alot better, it's not very different from the v8s....

Thanks for all the input guys, this forum is really helpful
To question 1, Idk bro, I actually cruise at 80 mph around 2200 rpm or less.. that's strange. Question 2, that frequently happens to me. I often think that myself.. most likely it's aging of alternator and/or battery bro.. Question 3, that's that RWD my bro! Lol gotta enjoy it! But drive carefully.. I think the engine kinda balances out the weight in the front if anything. Question 4, I'm actually currently using a K&N air AND oil filter. I'm a big K&N user.. good experiences so far. I'd recommended it to anyone! Question 5, can be mixture of snow and aging of front suspension components... should check out your lower ball joints, outer tie rods, etc... I use MOOG on mine, 555 stamped made in Japan. Question 6, mine aren't HID. They're yellow as well. Probably can be fitted to be HID for a brighter look. Question 7, that's a good repair you might wanna take to a professional if your not electrically inclined bro! And question 8, I'm mostly a highway driver, few city driving, I prolly get anywhere between 250-315 miles a tank. Not accurate but very close in that range. Hope this helped!
Old 01-08-14, 05:20 AM
shurian
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a rustproof coating in Krown or Rust Check since with temperature like -25/-30 they adding chemicals to salt and u keep the car outside and for battery get Optima Red Top in Canada i think Wal Mart carry them

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us..._button=Search
Old 01-08-14, 10:18 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shurian
get a rustproof coating in Krown or Rust Check since with temperature like -25/-30 they adding chemicals to salt and u keep the car outside and for battery get Optima Red Top in Canada i think Wal Mart carry them

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us..._button=Search
I wish WalMart carried Optimas over here in PA, USA... WalMart only carries the "halfway" good brands...