GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 08:37 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I hear ya, it's been a consistent negative 10 here in minnesota and looking at -25 this Sunday, my car has started on the first turn of the key everytime since I've owned it, even with 200k now but definitely takes an extra second or two and kinda sounds like it struggles to start after it's been sitting all night outside, after I drive it once the rest of the day it starts immediately, the defroster does suck with ice
Old 01-02-14, 05:44 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Dam I hope EVERYBODY has a safe winter with these freezing temperatures... do what you can to keep those badboys warm and stay safe above else. I live in PA and it is cold here around 20-30° on a regular afternoon in the winter in daylight.. when the sun goes down that's when the - temperatures start to set in... as crazy as it sounds my GS430 has Never gave me any problems. Starts up with ease. And I still have the same unknown battery from the dealer I bought it from. Real unknown battery too. Weird name on it.. been running off that for 2 years now... think I might get a new one this paycheck even if I stay broke. I wonder how much is a OEM Lexus battery?
Old 01-02-14, 06:20 AM
sssgood
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input! If the cause is the battery then that's a huge relief. It kinda make sense too because it happened right after i got the car boosted and left running long enough to warm up. I did have a brand new battery installed (900cca) three weeks ago, but I figure it got drained because one of the doors didn't close properly (it looks like it does initially but then pops out after awhile/because of some force) and left the interior lights on. I do have synthetic in the engine (amsoil 5w-30) but i thought I might need to do the same for the transmission/differential/ps fluid, but not anymore! Deicing/warming up the door latches to get rid of moisture is a great idea, didn't think of that. Also as far as I know all cars in Alberta have block heaters installed, otherwise most cars wouldn't survive here haha

BTW, just wondering what causes the automatic lights to not shutoff? this happens randomly for me where the lights would stay on even after a minute or so and I'ld have to go back and manually turn them off.
Old 01-02-14, 06:45 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sssgood
BTW, just wondering what causes the automatic lights to not shutoff? this happens randomly for me where the lights would stay on even after a minute or so and I'ld have to go back and manually turn them off.
My best bet is maybe that's the way the stock alarm is setup? Maybe.. not sure exactly bro.. mine does that to at times. Like I'm get out the car and hit the lock button on the key and as I walk away the lights will be on... then I go back and turn em off.. but normally they're suppose to all turn off when you hit the lock button bro. Hope your troubles are resolved!
Old 01-02-14, 07:38 AM
driver1988
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not alone. My GS is parked in the backyard with batteries off. The cold weather here in MN is affecting my car battery too. The other day i couldn't shut both rear doors. Take a hair dyer and blow it for 5 minutes and then close it.

It's -8 this morning here in MN.
Old 01-02-14, 10:59 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe my lights stay on after locking when using the auto, don't think it's a full minute though. If I'm remembering right you can hit the lock button twice to turn them off immediately.
Old 01-02-14, 02:30 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Hey to anybody on this thread with good batteries, what's your highest CCA on your battery? I'm tryna figure out the best choice before I go and purchase a new one.. I'm looking at a Platinum Die Hard right now from my local Sear's and it's quoted for me at about $215 for 4 years FULL REPLACEMENT with a rating of 850 CCA... Is that high?? It'll be the first battery I replace on my car since purchasing.. So I'm just looking for a strong durable one to last me for the years to come... The warranty seems more then decent compared to the others I've looked up. But I'd like a good opinion from my fellow CL brothers.. This thread is GREAT for opinions on batteries due to cold weather.. It's snowing terribly today in PA and the temperature is reaching to -0. Just need opinions that's all! Please & thank you guys!
Old 01-02-14, 04:17 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Also in Edmonton, Not too many issues with -25 to -30. I let it warm up 5-10 minutes, drive very slowly the first 5km. I assume you plug the car in overnight? Synthetic oil is a must, also in the differential. As for gas-line antifreeze, almost all gas in Alberta has ethanol added already so don't waste your money on that. Door lock de-icer yes, use it. These cars are designed to hold second or third gear until the trans warms a bit, that's why I just go slow the first few KM. Winter is a ***** up here. You might also look into a remote starter that has the automatic cold-temperature start feature. To Aneidiaz on the battery, get a good brand name with the most cold-cranking amps (CCA) rating, I used to sell AC-Delco batteries, they are quite good.
Old 01-02-14, 04:36 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's snowing hard here near Pittsburgh, getting 1/2 a foot tonight, man I can't wait til Tuesday for my auto-start installation, take your time and be careful out there!!!
Old 01-02-14, 05:56 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FlockoV8
It's snowing hard here near Pittsburgh, getting 1/2 a foot tonight, man I can't wait til Tuesday for my auto-start installation, take your time and be careful out there!!!
Yo Flocko what brand system are you using for your auto start bro? You using an aftermarket brand or Lexus OEM? I was tryna get this done too. But don't know too much about that.. and don't really wanna mess anything up. I've heard a few ppl get frustrated a bit with those systems. Anyhow, let us know how that works for you! And yes everybody DRIVE slow and cautiously! Don't take any risks, be smooth! Safety!
Old 01-02-14, 05:59 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Arcadian
Also in Edmonton, Not too many issues with -25 to -30. I let it warm up 5-10 minutes, drive very slowly the first 5km. I assume you plug the car in overnight? Synthetic oil is a must, also in the differential. As for gas-line antifreeze, almost all gas in Alberta has ethanol added already so don't waste your money on that. Door lock de-icer yes, use it. These cars are designed to hold second or third gear until the trans warms a bit, that's why I just go slow the first few KM. Winter is a ***** up here. You might also look into a remote starter that has the automatic cold-temperature start feature. To Aneidiaz on the battery, get a good brand name with the most cold-cranking amps (CCA) rating, I used to sell AC-Delco batteries, they are quite good.
Thank you for the advice bro! I appreciate it. I'm actually thinking of buying that DH Platinum battery. I got a good feedback from another member in another thread. Plus money speaking wise, it's the cream of the crop around my way. Looks pretty nice too =-) all silver to coincidently match the car! Be safe in the cold winter bro!
Old 01-02-14, 11:16 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Just thought I'd share few photos. Also wanna include a pic of the battery I'm currently using as it's certainly reliable.. I shoveled my whole block as a sign of voluntary community service.. hopefully the deed will be returned in another way, shape, or form. Had fun warming up my big boy. Here's my pics for tonight my friends!

new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car-forumrunner_20140103_021026.png

new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car-forumrunner_20140103_021229.png
Old 01-02-14, 11:18 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Here's some more pics of the conditions in my neighborhood right now.

new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car-forumrunner_20140103_021654.png

new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car-forumrunner_20140103_021737.png
Old 01-02-14, 11:20 PM
sssgood
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Hey to anybody on this thread with good batteries, what's your highest CCA on your battery? I'm tryna figure out the best choice before I go and purchase a new one.. I'm looking at a Platinum Die Hard right now from my local Sear's and it's quoted for me at about $215 for 4 years FULL REPLACEMENT with a rating of 850 CCA... Is that high?!
Isn't that kind of expensive? the battery i got is about 900 CCA with 4 years of free replacement+6 more years pro rated for $130 total..

My car came with compu start engine starter/alarm and it renders the oem remote useless/not being able to open the doors and trunk with key when it's locked with the cmpustart remote.

Actually I have a few more questions about this car:

1. Is it just me or is the 5th gear on this transmission almost USEless. I only see it make like 100-200 rpm difference. like seriously, 2700rpm at 60mph -.-

2.Do the instrument panel dim by itself sometimes? when I drive at night, i find it normal but sometimes kinda dim.

3. is the weight of this car front biased? It's not hard getting the rear to go sideways on snow. but then again this is my first rwd car

4. Mine came with a K&N air filter and ...um.. don't know much about it yet, like when to change...actually don't know nothing about it haha

5. when it's really cold, and I just start driving, I hear this funny noise coming from either the right or the left (depending on the direction turning) which sounds like griding or more like bearings not lubricated well. It does go away after driving 10kms or so. There is also this clunking noise from the right side under the hood when going over bumps...worn out suspension component? mabey i'll look into these when spring comes along...5months later

6. are the stock yellow fog lights hids? Mines has the factoy HID beams...

7. the display on my deck is shot. I wanted to replace the entire thing with one that has nav/bluetooth/etc. Is this something one can do by them selves or would I need to take it to an audio shop. I am good with my hands as long as there are directiions

8. what are you guys normally getting for fuel economy? i do about 370km/230miles to the tank in 60% city and about 600km/372miles on the highway...thought it would do alot better, it's not very different from the v8s....

Thanks for all the input guys, this forum is really helpful

Last edited by sssgood; 01-02-14 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 11:22 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the battery in the car right now... Has been VERY reliable... third winter with it.. not a problem.. but I feel like the a new one is coming soon.. if anybody has had this battery before, please post your share of info please! Thank you.. everybody be SAFE under this terrible weather!

new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car-forumrunner_20140103_022144.png

Quick Reply: new gs300 owner, winter is killing my car