GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stiff Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 10:09 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That is a problem.

Tie rods and ball joints, and of course, the rack/power steering pump all play in.

It is consistently "hard" from full left to full right? No "easy" spots or easier spots?

What fluid is in the power steering reservoir? Should be GM Dexron II/III only (Toyota T3 I think is Dexron III). Not Toyota T4 (but I would think T4 should be ok). And not Toyota WS.

I used Royal Purple PS fluid, but went to Amsoil ATF instead. A tad smoother with the Amsoil in there.

Note that Toyota/Lexus does NOT spec PS Fluid for it, it specs Dexron III Transmission Fluid. The friction modifiers in the PS fluid vs trans fluid are different.

Originally Posted by daddyduke
If i drive my car longer then an hour my forearms begin to hurt.
Old 12-10-13, 11:19 AM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i been having stiff steering since i got this car.I tried everything in the book i changed the ps pump still the same i had the car looked at by 5 shops and they all the same thing nothing is wrong with it.I no my car and how these cars drive because my older brother got one when they came out with 430s.When i drove his I like WOW super smooth.keep in mind my steering isnt all the way froze i say it feels like im only getting about 80 percent power i was gonna change the rack today but the guy was telling me its just a waste off money.what should i do im still gonna change out the rack.everything on the car is rock solid so the rack would be my next guess please i need help with this one i want that smooth luxury feeling back asap
Since you have someone that has a GS430, why don't you swap out the steering module with yours and see if it changes the steering feel? Its a 10 minute job. Under the driver's side dash. Remove the lower panel (2 screws and 1 clip), then you can access the bolt holding the steering module using a 1/4 inch extension thru the hole under the parking lever on the dash to break the single bolt loose. Remove the connector and swap it. Can't hurt to try. If yours is bad, a new one is about $280.00. You can get used ones off of ebay all day long for $30-40...
Old 12-10-13, 11:20 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

What does the car do with no PS ECU? Go full boost or no boost?
Old 12-10-13, 11:40 AM
DanielDD
Rookie

almost no boost. I pulled mine and the steering becomes very hard. Not hard like you have no power steering, but pretty close....
Old 12-10-13, 01:16 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Maybe his PS ECU fuse is blown, minimal assist?

Originally Posted by DanielDD
almost no boost. I pulled mine and the steering becomes very hard. Not hard like you have no power steering, but pretty close....
Old 12-10-13, 04:53 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanielDD
Since you have someone that has a GS430, why don't you swap out the steering module with yours and see if it changes the steering feel? Its a 10 minute job. Under the driver's side dash. Remove the lower panel (2 screws and 1 clip), then you can access the bolt holding the steering module using a 1/4 inch extension thru the hole under the parking lever on the dash to break the single bolt loose. Remove the connector and swap it. Can't hurt to try. If yours is bad, a new one is about $280.00. You can get used ones off of ebay all day long for $30-40...
my brother had a 430 back in the day so i cant swap the ps ecu with him but check this ive hear alot of gs400 owner complaining about there ps steering being overly assisted.Its a junk yard in my area with a 400.Hopefully tomorrow i can do everything mention above if my job stop hitting me with ot without anyone knowing till the last minute.

Last edited by daddyduke; 12-10-13 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-10-13, 05:00 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Maybe his PS ECU fuse is blown, minimal assist?
So i pulled the connection out once and drove with it down the block and you can feel the difference maybe mine is half way blown.
Old 12-10-13, 05:03 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
That is a problem.

Tie rods and ball joints, and of course, the rack/power steering pump all play in.

It is consistently "hard" from full left to full right? No "easy" spots or easier spots?

What fluid is in the power steering reservoir? Should be GM Dexron II/III only (Toyota T3 I think is Dexron III). Not Toyota T4 (but I would think T4 should be ok). And not Toyota WS.

I used Royal Purple PS fluid, but went to Amsoil ATF instead. A tad smoother with the Amsoil in there.

Note that Toyota/Lexus does NOT spec PS Fluid for it, it specs Dexron III Transmission Fluid. The friction modifiers in the PS fluid vs trans fluid are different.
Im using mobile one full synthetic.My steering is pretty much the same when i turn it either direction
Old 12-10-13, 07:58 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Wish you lived closer I would like to see it and put it in my car to experiment with.

I guess the question would be is the pump making enough pressure to assist the steering. The ECU just controls the pressure output of the pump, so when the car is moving slow it has more assist and when faster it becomes less assisted to give better road feel.

But lack of pump pressure (internal leak in the pump or the rack)

So i pulled the connection out once and drove with it down the block and you can feel the difference maybe mine is half way blown.
Old 12-10-13, 08:56 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There is one thing that all the OG members of this forum will know that none of the newbie responders yet brought up.
There is a steering tensioner adjustment that you should check.

In the DIY for steering bushings: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-bushing.html''

the thing you need to consider adjusting is that hexagon shaped thing in step5 that a bolt-head or Nut fits into to adjust. There was some threads with pretty extensive experimentation with that. I can't find the threads, you need to search around and figure out what it's officially called.

Also, if you took it to 5 shops, did you consider maybe after the 3rd shop to bite the bullet and try the Dealer? Cause I think any Lexus/Toyota trained mechanic knows about this adjustment.
Old 12-10-13, 09:01 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

here: found it.

Read this and the other thread it linked to:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-searched.html

I would bite the bullet and go to the dealer before just replacing parts for the heck of it.
Old 12-10-13, 11:16 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My steering was stiff when I got the car, it feels nice now idk if I just got used to it irbtge new reman pump is broken in, I was thinking if doing a flush adding correct fluid just for peace if mind since I didn't know what's been done to the car
Old 12-11-13, 03:57 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

I put in another power steering ECU in and it worked a little i still dont have that one finger driving that im looking for but i can work with it for now,Also i took it to a shop to get the ball joints greased they could find theres no zerk fitting,They also told me everything is tight my next thing is to do the rack adjustment just a little because that can create play and shaking
Old 12-12-13, 07:08 AM
DanielDD
Rookie

I put in another power steering ECU in and it worked a little i still dont have that one finger driving that im looking for but i can work with it for now,Also i took it to a shop to get the ball joints greased they could find theres no zerk fitting,They also told me everything is tight my next thing is to do the rack adjustment just a little because that can create play and shaking
Please keep us informed as I have the same condition. I also replaced the steering ecu, not with a new one, but with a used one and it did seem to make some difference. I don't know if its me or not, but when I parked my GS400 outside overnight a few days ago and it got into the 30's temperature wise, it appeared the steering was better when it was cold. I don't have enough data at this point to say whether this is indeed a fact or not.

I have ordered new Moog ball joints, one because my car is due for them and two, I'm hoping they make a difference in the steering effort. The Moog ball joints have a zerk fitting. I should be able to report back on this sometime soon.
Old 12-12-13, 07:44 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

I can't say you will get one finger ease, at least my GS isn't anywhere close to it, my Buick is.

Maybe an LS steering ECU would be better for that sort of steering assist.

Quick Reply: Stiff Steering