GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gs300 Idle/Start up problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 09:54 AM
sidehide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gs300 Idle/Start up problems

Hi,

Hoping you can point me to the right part...

I have a early 99 GS300.... feels like its running on two cylinders for the first 5 sec after start up.
When I crank it , it takes 5-6 rotations to start.. then it runs so rough that it dies.. When I try again it just comes on and runs fine. Every morning this is the ritual.. Car never dies when running but feels like there is no fuel in the lines every time I try to start it..

I changed the starter,alternator,battery,fuel pump,fuel filters,fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs and wires.. I am down to coils or injectors.... don't know what it can be....

Any ideas? got no check engine light... no codes...
Old 12-04-13, 03:37 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did u check and clean your maf sensor?
Old 12-05-13, 06:03 PM
sidehide
Driver School Candidate

not yet, think I have some vortex kind you cant clean.....not sure...

just surprised its not throwing a code ,

now it feels like starting a carbureted engine with a vacuum leak in 0°F

is it possible that somehow i still don't have fuel during initial start up after I replaced the regulator and pump? If I give it gas right as I am starting it will crank on and maintain idle...

not sure if at this point I can rule out injectors and coils... I do have 180K on them but once on car runs fine..

I was told it might be the IAC valve...
Old 12-07-13, 07:09 PM
gstreee
Rookie

gs300 does not carry an iac valve but rather an idle control motor right next to the tps sensor. your tps sensor may be bad. might have to open it and check it. it has to be properly set with a scan tool. if its not than get a toyota mechanic to come evaluate whether the idle motor need replacing.....
Old 12-09-13, 05:57 PM
sidehide
Driver School Candidate

thank you... at this point I just want to eliminate if its fuel/spark..ect obviously its not compression and most likely something electrical...

Ill check the tps ,idle control motor,
(but would that explain my original starting problem/delay...?)

problem started by having to hold the ignition on for 4-5 sec for it to crank over.. starter and battery are new so it seemed very delayed almost like spark or fuel was missing... now that developed into rough idle /misfire right after....

Timing belt was changed 30K ago... looks good...
no leaks, fuses look ok,

thanks again
Old 12-10-13, 08:39 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i think the fuel pump or fuel filter replacement maybe messed up, so it's not holding pressure. Did you DIY? or pay a mechanic?

Try this:
After a cold soak when you'd have the problem; put the car in ON position for 1min before starting it, to see if that gives the fuel pump to build pressure back. If that works, then that means it's your fuel pump/fuel filter install.

If you did do a DIY on the fuel filter, i might know which step you messed up, related to an o-ring, because I did the same thing too.
Old 12-11-13, 11:02 AM
sidehide
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, appreciate it.

I will check timing ,oil control valve next... car ran fine after timing job( mechanic) for year didn't give me any problems until this.. Ill try to jump it and see how it starts if I leave it ON for a while before cranking over..

I did the strainer ,fuel pump, fuel filter, pressure regulator all at once via Denso fuel pump kit.

all new gaskets and rubber o rings also new fuel tank gasket... right after I did it car showed no sign of improvement ... runs the same like it did on the old 180K original Toyota pump and filter...

again thanks for the help,,, I was thinking its injectors or coils... now got a whole buffet of stuff to check... cant wait to start... 5'F in Chicago...yey

Last edited by sidehide; 01-15-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 11:58 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea, if the ON positin test works, and it turns out it's the fuel pump system:

For the o-ring on the fuel filter.
If you followed the DIY in this forum with pictures, it had a step wrong, which said just throw the o-ring on top of a tube(like a faucet gasket) and then put the 2 parts together.

This O-ring is not a top-bottom "gasket", it is an interface which separates the inner and outer circles of the ring. You need to ensure the o-ring is slid onto the tube (lubricated with fuel), before putting filter and pump together. The putting together the filter to pump should be a friction-tight fit, that doesn't come apart if you were just holding it in the air just by one of the parts.

Last edited by raytseng; 12-12-13 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 03:20 PM
sidehide
Driver School Candidate

Fuel pump and regulator are fine..

Got a TPS and OCV valve that I am about to put in, hope it works, already changed the MAF but it did nothin..

Got a feeling its something with the throttle body assy... unless I have a bad cam/crank sensor but then again no CEL..hmmm
Old 01-15-14, 03:23 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If everything you say you replaced was properly installed, then the only thing left to try is a good MAF sensor + throttle body clean... Try that bro... Really.. And let us know how everything turned out!! Good luck, stay positive, and everything will work out for the better my friend!!!
Old 01-20-14, 01:06 PM
sidehide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
If everything you say you replaced was properly installed, then the only thing left to try is a good MAF sensor + throttle body clean... Try that bro... Really.. And let us know how everything turned out!! Good luck, stay positive, and everything will work out for the better my friend!!!
Thank you , I appreciate it! I changed the OCV but was finally told its the throttle body assy, not sure which part is bad... I adjusted the TPS and it got worse then better.

Bought a new TPS sensor and put it on right and it made it even worse,, got a CEL and put the old TPS back on.

My throttle body assy # is 22030-46150 but I hope I dont have to get the whole thing because only ones for sale used are 22030-46220, or 22030-46180 , or 22030-46120 from different years GS and IS like 2000 or 2002...
Lexus told me they are not sure if those will work even tho they are bolt on from same engine and model...

Last edited by sidehide; 01-20-14 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 01:53 AM
Chankeye
Driver

you might also have leaking injectors. They might be leaking when the car is not running causing you a lack of fuel pressure when you try to fire it up, and since their is now fuel in the cylinder from the leaking injector(s) it will cause it to run rough at first until the excess fuel is burned away or blown out the exhaust. Its fairly cheap to get the injectors cleaned and flow tested to make sure they are up to spec, or for piece of mind you could just replace them. the local place by me is about 20 bucks an injector to clean and flow test, and its usually finished the same day. I would pull the spark plugs after letting the car sit overnight and inspect the cylinders for wetness and strong fuel odor the next day before you even fire the engine up. Seems like you might have replaced everything else already, and this is a commonly overlooked problem.
Old 01-23-14, 01:44 PM
sidehide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chankeye
you might also have leaking injectors. They might be leaking when the car is not running causing you a lack of fuel pressure when you try to fire it up, and since their is now fuel in the cylinder from the leaking injector(s) it will cause it to run rough at first until the excess fuel is burned away or blown out the exhaust. Its fairly cheap to get the injectors cleaned and flow tested to make sure they are up to spec, or for piece of mind you could just replace them. the local place by me is about 20 bucks an injector to clean and flow test, and its usually finished the same day. I would pull the spark plugs after letting the car sit overnight and inspect the cylinders for wetness and strong fuel odor the next day before you even fire the engine up. Seems like you might have replaced everything else already, and this is a commonly overlooked problem.
Remind me whats the point of owning a lexus again...... I could have and less issues with a chevi ahahahahahah garbage... I am selling this car... Thank you for the additional help, I would have probably done the injectors next... ohh btw the power staring pump and the harmonic balancer broke too...
Old 01-23-14, 02:04 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sidehide
Remind me whats the point of owning a lexus again...... I could have and less issues with a chevi ahahahahahah garbage... I am selling this car... Thank you for the additional help, I would have probably done the injectors next... ohh btw the power staring pump and the harmonic balancer broke too...
Don't blame the car, who was the previous owner and what kind of neglect was done to the car has to be taken into accountability, I can drive a Ferrari for 10 years and neglect it and will eventually start breaking down on me due to neglegience, doesn't mean it's a pos...
Old 01-24-14, 09:16 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoV8

Don't blame the car, who was the previous owner and what kind of neglect was done to the car has to be taken into accountability, I can drive a Ferrari for 10 years and neglect it and will eventually start breaking down on me due to neglegience, doesn't mean it's a pos...
He obviously doesn't seem to be maintenance inclined bro. Just let em be. If he really feels "Chevy" is better he really doesn't know what he's talking about. Sin Cerebro. EVERYBODY knows Chevy is more garbage then anything else. Also sounds like he did a terrible job shopping for this car. Did no type of inspection or look around of the car. Should've got the feel of it, test drove it well, looked for leaks, got under there. But he didn't. And now he's suffering the aftermath. I hope it gets repaired soon. Or if not he can be driving a Cobalt, maybe Impala... lol

Quick Reply: gs300 Idle/Start up problems