GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

speedo died sliding on ice...fuse? Tranny mounted speed sensor?..

Old 11-28-13, 11:56 AM
heybro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo died sliding on ice...fuse? Tranny mounted speed sensor?..

I was pulling up an icy hill and the rear wheels spun then the speedo died. Been out ever since. Could I have fried the speed sonsor on the transmission that sends speed info to the computer? Is there a fuse for it I may have blown? Anyone have a schematic of where the sensor is located? ...all other gauges work fine and cruise control still works. Just have no idea how fast I'm going!...Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-13, 02:35 PM
articmonke
Rookie

unplug your battery for an hour or overnight which ever you feel comfortable with
when you plug it back in it should have erased the computer and the speedo should work if not take it to dealer and ask if the can erase the ecu and the trac ecu
Old 11-28-13, 04:15 PM
heybro
Rookie

Could I do the same thing by unhooking the battery and pressing the brake petal to ground it out?
Old 11-30-13, 08:56 AM
heybro
Rookie

Ok tried replacing both tranny speed sensors and didn't fix it...so off to Dublin Lexus it goes...
Old 12-02-13, 07:46 AM
heybro
Rookie

Its the instrument cluster...Lexus wants $1100 to have sent out and repaired...fml
Old 12-02-13, 08:41 AM
GeesUs
Driver School Candidate

There's a thread on here explaining how to do a reset using the diagnostic port under the hood. I had the same issue and it worked for me
Old 12-02-13, 12:29 PM
heybro
Rookie

Yea I've read on some forums too that some compassitors on the board that controls the gauge cluster blow and have to be replaced. I have found a free answer though and that's the gps based speedometer app on my smartphone! ...problem solved for now :-)
Old 12-02-13, 10:32 PM
sugzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heybro
Yea I've read on some forums too that some compassitors on the board that controls the gauge cluster blow and have to be replaced. I have found a free answer though and that's the gps based speedometer app on my smartphone! ...problem solved for now :-)
Or you can replace the cluster with another one.
Old 12-09-13, 06:04 AM
heybro
Rookie

Yea true but a new one is like a grand and no junk yards around here have any parts for my car ever...and I've checked more than once :-(
Old 12-09-13, 07:26 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check carparts.com or ebay for used one
Old 12-09-13, 05:10 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Yea true but a new one is like a grand and no junk yards around here have any parts for my car ever...and I've checked more than once :-(
That's what the internet is for bro. Who goes around searching junkyards unless you find one online . We have CL vendors in the classified section parting out GS's all the time. A used cluster is not that hard to find.
Old 10-21-14, 07:28 AM
heybro
Rookie

update...i bit the bullet and had Lexus send out my old cluster to be remanufactured and aslo had em change out a bad passenger side front wheel bearing. having it remanufactured came with a 3year warantee so if it goes again anytime soon i get it fixed for free!
Old 10-21-14, 07:46 AM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For future reference: If you can identify which capacitors have blown you can order replacements from sites like digikey or mouser and replace them yourself. A cheap soldering iron and some solder should do the trick... unless they are surface mount, then you would need a reflow setup.
Old 10-21-14, 02:09 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

update...i bit the bullet and had Lexus send out my old cluster to be remanufactured and aslo had em change out a bad passenger side front wheel bearing. having it remanufactured came with a 3year warantee so if it goes again anytime soon i get it fixed for free!
You paid $1100 to have the cluster remanufactured when you could've bought a perfectly used one on ebay or from Chin or Aliga for around $200? Guess you have money to blow...
Old 10-22-14, 11:05 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

$1100? Wow. If I'd known you were willing to pay that much I'd've sold you mine for $800, gotten another from the bone yard for $100 and pocketed the $700 difference! Let me know the next time you need a part, ok? (lol)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: speedo died sliding on ice...fuse? Tranny mounted speed sensor?..