GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Intermittent Transmission Disengaging issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 07:38 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Mine also shifts weird from a stop or going around corners, kinda jolts unless I press the gas just right, I've heard that's common though on our cars, like a little hesitation wondering if maybe a throttle position sensor could fix this
Yes I've also heard this is common in 2GS cars. It's not really a big deal if your a cruiser in your car. Once you adjust to your car's pedal and engine, you will know when something is completely wrong and when things are in the norm.
Old 06-14-14, 08:16 PM
mkpoto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having a similar issue, would happen randomly, where the car would jerk. I was hoping someone else posted something similar. I will def. check the trans fluid
Old 06-15-14, 02:47 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll have to check the fluid. I did have the flush done recently, and my brakes have been fine, no locking on that end, but maybe they didn't fill enough fluid when we took it to the shop. I'll have to take a look on the weekday when I'm off.

I wish someone local who works with this car could take a look. I Dont want to take it to a dealership to have them charge me an arm and a leg and misdiagnose the issue, and have me sink in a bunch of cash into this car with nothing to show of it. I can do the work myself. Hell I just replaced the at compressor on my mothers e430 along with a few other parts on her car, so labor isn't an issue. And correct, there is no cel.
Old 06-15-14, 05:56 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I'll have to check the fluid. I did have the flush done recently, and my brakes have been fine, no locking on that end, but maybe they didn't fill enough fluid when we took it to the shop. I'll have to take a look on the weekday when I'm off.

I wish someone local who works with this car could take a look. I Dont want to take it to a dealership to have them charge me an arm and a leg and misdiagnose the issue, and have me sink in a bunch of cash into this car with nothing to show of it. I can do the work myself. Hell I just replaced the at compressor on my mothers e430 along with a few other parts on her car, so labor isn't an issue. And correct, there is no cel.

I'm still leaning towards low ATF. If it was a true transmission issue you would have codes flying around. The infamous transmission code on these cars is the "shift solenoid". When my ATF was low, my car would rev up but not move when cold. On turns it would almost stop I guess because the fluid was squishing around in the pan intermittently making contact with other moving parts.

So much fluid is sucked into the transfer case, so what may seem like the proper amount of fluid at the shop, may not be the case after driving the vehicle for a few days (normal temp).
Old 06-16-14, 11:18 PM
minjarre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cars been doing the same thing, I have a 01 GS430 and since summer car has been running weird. Its bogs a little bit when I first take off and then randomly just jerks when I'm steadily cruising between 50-65 mph. I put some fuel injector cleaner but that didnt help, changed spark plugs, took the MAF and cleaned it out I also changed out the MAF sensor and nothing I'm not getting any codes either. I wanted to change out the fuel filter tooI or doing a multiple tranny fluid change instead of a flush. Jewcano about going to a Lexus Dealer, I don't want to get raped, did you do the flush yourself. When you say semiflush what exactly. You described exactly what I got going on with my car, stumped
Old 06-17-14, 06:36 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
^It would do it randomly as well? And at random speeds? I notice it'll do it at low speed between 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes it'll do it around 40-50mph, rarely on the highway at 65+ though. Generally does it on the lower band of speeds.
On occasion it would do this intermittently. My guess was that there was too much movement of the tranny effecting the shift points. Even with the mount being split, it would at times feel very smooth which I found odd....
Old 06-17-14, 09:51 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default .

It is the STUPID electronic throttle, thats why it doesnt happen at highway speeds, the transmission on the 430 is very dumbed down and sluggish compared to the 400, Lexus did that purposely when people complained the 400 was too sporty for their old geezer asses. Now we all gotta deal with slush boxes. The throttle doesnt realize you are pressing the gas until its too late so then it lunges. If your positive your calipers arent stuck and the wheels spin freely when the car is lifted and as long as you drained and refilled your tranny fluid at LEAST 5 times, then you can be certain this is normal for a 430 especially with high miles. ALSO make sure your alignment is perfect, especially the back wheels, I noticed when my alignment wasnt good the car took longer to react to when I pressed the gas. And last but not least DEFINITELY the transmission mount if you have not changed it yet dont even look at it just change it if its over 100k. youll notice the difference regardless.

Originally Posted by repugnante
On occasion it would do this intermittently. My guess was that there was too much movement of the tranny effecting the shift points. Even with the mount being split, it would at times feel very smooth which I found odd....

Last edited by DMPesso; 06-17-14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-17-14, 09:56 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I know on the 400s when the solenoid on the tranny is going bad the car becomes super sluggish, but im not sure if the 430 is the same with the solenoids, and usually that throws a CEL
Old 06-17-14, 09:58 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

TO ALL 430 OWNERS NOT 400 BECAUSE THE 400 DOESNT DO THIS: does your 430 take at least a full second to shift into DRIVE from R or P, shifting into Reverse the car instantly shifts, but shifting into drive there is a slight delay as it lunges foward and then clicks into gear, I noticed it MOST when making U turns on busy streets its ANNOYING. I want to feel better and someone tell me all 430s do this, I hope I dont have an extra grandma 430. Thats the only thing I hate about the 430, the sluggishness...
Old 06-17-14, 07:07 PM
minjarre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not the electronic throttle, mine just started doing this so I know what it feels like before and after. I owned a 99 GS400 so I know what your talking about, slight diffrence but not to the effect of what were talking about. I will have to check the transmission mount. Is the solenoid a easy replacement?
Old 06-17-14, 07:24 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Actually like I was saying when your throttle sensor goes bad it does these exact thinggs you describe that's what I was trying to say by the electronic throttle
Old 06-17-14, 07:25 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

And does yours hAve the delay into drive ?
Old 06-18-14, 01:15 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Regardless of what it is.. I can almost guarantee it's not your tranny going bad, (not sure I've even heard of one going bad on our GS?) this is a common theme with our cars, I cleaned my throttle body and it seemed to help a great deal, looked like it'd never been cleaned, gonna get a new tranny mount next
Old 06-18-14, 11:00 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by minjarre
My cars been doing the same thing, I have a 01 GS430 and since summer car has been running weird. Its bogs a little bit when I first take off and then randomly just jerks when I'm steadily cruising between 50-65 mph. I put some fuel injector cleaner but that didnt help, changed spark plugs, took the MAF and cleaned it out I also changed out the MAF sensor and nothing I'm not getting any codes either. I wanted to change out the fuel filter tooI or doing a multiple tranny fluid change instead of a flush. Jewcano about going to a Lexus Dealer, I don't want to get raped, did you do the flush yourself. When you say semiflush what exactly. You described exactly what I got going on with my car, stumped
I did a flush at a local Firestone that we've used for a while. We're regulars there and they have a flush system. I forget how much it cost for the job, but I'm sure I have the paperwork somewhere.

When checking my fluid level, do I want my car on or off?
Old 06-18-14, 12:01 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Mine also shifts weird from a stop or going around corners, kinda jolts unless I press the gas just right, I've heard that's common though on our cars, like a little hesitation wondering if maybe a throttle position sensor could fix this
All my GSs did that. I think it's the way the drive by wire makes the throttle behave. When I had my GS430, I had to convert to the regular throttle cable after I had swapped to a 2JZGTE and the difference is night and day. There is also a controller you can buy to make the throttle more linear.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Transmission Disengaging issue