GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car is too fast but not fast enough? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 07:34 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say you let off before the speed limit? Which is what 40mph on the street and 65 on the highway? I wouldn't consider any of these "race" speed and if you felt like you got any kind of jump, you're supposed to. Any turbo car you punch against must wait for full boost before heavy acceleration. At 40mph a turbo car hasn't even woken up yet so if you feel like you pull 2 cars and the race is done, think again. I'm not sure where exactly you were going with your original post but it didn't make a lot of sence. Either you races or you didn't. I'm not promoting street racing by any means btw. I've owned a few turbo cars so I'm just informing you that a GS430 is by no means "fast". Your torque will get you that quick burst initially but you wouldn't stand a chance after 1/8th mile.
Old 11-10-13, 07:55 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

I timed my gs400 twice and it pulls a 0-60mph in just about 6 seconds, mind you mine has 250k miles on it give or take. I think for a 15 year old car with that many miles, mine is pretty strong and intend to keep it going as long as I can. I am one of those people who just don't really get any attention from ricer or hot(headed)rodders for the most part, but now and then I've had a '05+ Honda coupe 4 banger try and speed around and I had to put him down.

I feel the 6.xx second 0-60mph time is still pretty quick and scary even today when you are not too used to it (I don't douche-bag around, and try to go easy on my car for MPG + longevity reasons as much as borderline boring as possible) combined with most cars on the road that are still relatively slower. I drove an Altima Coupe V6 for 4 years before the GS, with exactly the same factory rated 0-60mph performance. I ran a catback exhaust on it, but hardly ever came across people trying to race me. Often it was some random car on the highway who thought they would step on it and try to cut me off or they would have a little fun pulling on me. Well up until 80mph I would show them what's up (though more like walk them.. .damn CVT).

I think our cars, or anything with a 0-60 time of 5.8-6.0 is quick enough to mess with most ricers or folks who just don't realize what's under their and my car's hoods but other than that it's really just not that fast where it matters any more (against some newer tech V6 cars/coupes and of course V8s). However, it is most definitely a great car when you want to make the wife grab the passenger roof handle and give me the stink eye when she's in the middle of a long story and hear that sweet 1uz growl.

Last edited by Sampak; 11-10-13 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-10-13, 08:25 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i wish i had a v8....
Old 11-10-13, 08:38 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP What part of AZ are you in?
Old 11-10-13, 09:40 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mccrimmon
OP What part of AZ are you in?
Was mesa. But chandler
Old 11-10-13, 09:53 AM
evo8
Driver School Candidate

sorry to burst your bubble but 6+ secs is not fast. it can usually do a 1-2-3 jump but I have pulled a GS450 driven hard and smoked them like hickory using my stock Evo 9. in the track even worse for the RWD GS. sorry. don't know if street racing or posting it here is allowed.
Old 11-10-13, 10:11 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by puff
You say you let off before the speed limit? Which is what 40mph on the street and 65 on the highway? I wouldn't consider any of these "race" speed and if you felt like you got any kind of jump, you're supposed to. Any turbo car you punch against must wait for full boost before heavy acceleration. At 40mph a turbo car hasn't even woken up yet so if you feel like you pull 2 cars and the race is done, think again. I'm not sure where exactly you were going with your original post but it didn't make a lot of sence. Either you races or you didn't. I'm not promoting street racing by any means btw. I've owned a few turbo cars so I'm just informing you that a GS430 is by no means "fast". Your torque will get you that quick burst initially but you wouldn't stand a chance after 1/8th mile.
Lol i know how a turbo works... And a pizza delivery guy who has an eclipse with an aftermarket turbo, well i would believe its a pretty cheap setup, i am pretty sure even with his turbo all the way spooled his tiny turbo wouldnt help him much. He was flooring it for like a whole mile and was in my sight the whole time. regaurdless if you think these cars are not fast, i would have to disagree, i have taken and kept up with charger r/t's and manuel e46 m3s in my gs400, i personally think a car that run with mustang gts in the quarter is fast. Or at least i think they do.
Old 11-10-13, 10:29 AM
evo8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsean400

Lol i know how a turbo works... And a pizza delivery guy who has an eclipse with an aftermarket turbo, well i would believe its a pretty cheap setup, i am pretty sure even with his turbo all the way spooled his tiny turbo wouldnt help him much. He was flooring it for like a whole mile and was in my sight the whole time. regaurdless if you think these cars are not fast, i would have to disagree, i have taken and kept up with charger r/t's and manuel e46 m3s in my gs400, i personally think a car that run with mustang gts in the quarter is fast. Or at least i think they do.
what is your trap time in the quarter mile? I have a stock Evo 9 MR that got 12.9 secs. if you see a non-stock one it probably have 7-11 secs quarter mile depending on the mods. when I see a GS450, I feel that it's not worth the time due to its not that fast.
Old 11-10-13, 12:30 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Fast is a relative term. Is the 2GS faster than your average daily commuter. Of course. It has above average power and speed. Is it faster than the quickest sports cars out there? Of course not. Unless you're at the track or drag strip on a regular basis it really doesn't matter. IMO most 2GS owners like to cruise in style while having enough power and speed for occasions if necessary. Leave street racing to Subie's and bottled Honda civics. LOL
Old 11-10-13, 12:32 PM
JayGS4
Driver School Candidate

Cool story bro.
Old 11-10-13, 04:05 PM
MasterKwan
Driver

I think our cars, or anything with a 0-60 time of 5.8-6.0 is quick enough to mess with most ricers or folks who just don't realize what's under their and my car's hoods but other than that it's really just not that fast where it matters any more (against some newer tech V6 cars/coupes and of course V8s).
They're pretty fast for a land barge. Over 4000 lbs with an American's fat *** in the driver's seat. I'm installing a GS400 motor in an IS300. I expect it'll be pretty quick. Same HP and Torque as the Evo with 300 lbs less fat.
Old 11-10-13, 04:17 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Idk what my trap time is.. I just said earlier i never been to the track. Any non stock performance car could possibly run low numbers. And i dont know why anyone is comapring the gs450. The new ones didnt have much more of a performance gain then the previous. Correct me if im wrong but the gs400 was the 3rd fastest 4 door in 1999? I would have bought the new gs if it took a nice spot in the comparison of other performance sedans around the same year. I was looking at buying an older m5, a older cts-v, a 300 srt8 or this supercharged mustang gt. i was specifically looking for a performance sedan. I ended up getting my third lexus, for reliability purposes and being able to dodge car payments with my unknown bad credit. Not to mention bmws maintainence costs, That is one reason i never got to go through with the lsx swap. I bought a vortech v2 sc and currently gathering fuel management information prior to my install. I believe a low boost application to my 430 should bring me around where i want to be in the horsepower range considering the cars i was looking into. Maybe its just me but i think the 400/430s are pretty fast and i think 300hp out of a 4.0 is pretty impressive! Just a lil sad that it doesnt hang with its competitors very well. Ohh well
Old 11-10-13, 04:30 PM
MasterKwan
Driver

and i think 300hp out of a 4.0 is pretty impressive! Just a lil sad that it doesnt hang with its competitors very well. Ohh well
You just can't ignore the weight. GS's are heavy. I imagine the GS300's are just dogs. The GS300 has only 215 hp and it weights more than the GS400. The IS300 with the same motor as the GS300 isn't particularly fast while carting around 400 less lbs.

The 1UZ is a fantastic motor, makes a bunch of torque and is one of the lightest V8's out there. Lighter than the 2JZ by about 80lbs.
Old 11-10-13, 04:35 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

in a few years, if you go back and read your posts, I feel you will do nothing but laugh.
I realize you are just 20, but then you're making fun of the "kids" who are 16 is just going to look silly to you in a few years time.

The real fact of racing on the street is just basically as long as you have an average car; even say a v6 camry or above, the guy who cares the least about life or safety and has even decent driving skills can win.

Even starting like at 10years old, they tell you don't worry about "peer pressure" or phrases like "dance like nobody's watching", but despite people thinking they are living that mantra, I think it really doesn't sink in until you are much older in your late 20s-30s. where you actually do stop worrying about what other people think and you are comfortable and confident in who you are and what you do.

If you want to race, I don't know why you'd enjoy just flooring it going in a straight line, in an automatic no less. What are you trying to accomplish other than saying i am better at pressing a pedal to the floor-or i have more money to buy my way to such a time?

Why don't you actually work on driving skills? Go to an autocross event where you actually have to turn.
Is it a pride issue, that you feel you are going to be disrespected by being grouped in the beginner group? Just let the times will speak for themselves and win your group then, and they will bump you up for the next race.

Or go to an actual track-track event, although this is more expensive.
For a cheaper option, you can also look around for go-kart racing (with more highspeed karts, not just for kids).

Last edited by raytseng; 11-10-13 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 05:07 PM
evo8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raytseng
in a few years, if you go back and read your posts, I feel you will do nothing but laugh.
I realize you are just 20, but then you're making fun of the "kids" who are 16 is just going to look silly to you in a few years time.

The real fact of racing on the street is just basically as long as you have an average car; even say a v6 camry or above, the guy who cares the least about life or safety and has even decent driving skills can win.

Even starting like at 10years old, they tell you don't worry about "peer pressure" or phrases like "dance like nobody's watching", but despite people thinking they are living that mantra, I think it really doesn't sink in until you are much older in your late 20s-30s. where you actually do stop worrying about what other people think and you are comfortable and confident in who you are and what you do.

If you want to race, I don't know why you'd enjoy just flooring it going in a straight line, in an automatic no less. What are you trying to accomplish other than saying i am better at pressing a pedal to the floor-or i have more money to buy my way to such a time?

Why don't you actually work on driving skills? Go to an autocross event where you actually have to turn.
Is it a pride issue, that you feel you are going to be disrespected by being grouped in the beginner group? Just let the times will speak for themselves and win your group then, and they will bump you up for the next race.

Or go to an actual track-track event, although this is more expensive.
For a cheaper option, you can also look around for go-kart racing (with more highspeed karts, not just for kids).
well said........

Quick Reply: Car is too fast but not fast enough? Anyone?