GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 400 unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 08:17 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Grindin I would say is attributed to the brakes nothing in the suspension is gonna make a "grinding" noise. Mostly squeaking and clunking. Check the brake and the grinding happens when driving or over bumps? Be more specific
Old 10-22-13, 08:25 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My 98 400 is a damn near NEW 98, I damn near replaced and upgraded everything, u gotta pay to play with the big boys... Hell, I thought I bought a lemon, I pretty much could say I did, I replaced and went through so much s$@& with my car it took over a year, it was exhausting, now it's the greatest car I've ever owned and it has become a part of me, it's a gamble, I spent about $6500 on maintenance since 2011,I fell in love with the car and knew I would have to put money in it, now I am happy I did and it payed off for me, I now have an amazing car, it's a gamble and be prepared to have to put money in parts, it also depends on the previous owner, the owner I bought mine off obviously didn't keep up with maintenance, if u bought my car right now you would get a gem, put gas in and go, there's a lot of different factors to consider when purchasing a 15 year old car, I wouldn't say its unreliable at all, my gs is still the best car I've ever owned considering the factors, do not buy an Infiniti please, they are junk, my buddies g35 2006 just blew up, engine is shot at 120k miles, everything rattles shakes and rolls and is all plastic junk, something to consider...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 10-22-13 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 08:27 PM
driver1988
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing to do with brakes. no vibration on steering wheel and sound doesn't seem to be affected when stepping on brakes or not. Seems like grinding noise has relation to rotation of tire. brakes wouldn't matter if car was lifted or not. it has something to do with weight pressure and that, is why i attribute it to suspensions.
Old 10-22-13, 08:49 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by driver1988
Hello all, recently i made a purchase for a GS 400 as my second car and so far, it has so many issues with it. It's considered high mileage at 150k+ but well maintained. No rush and looks like well kept during winter

. A few weeks ago i was able to get help from some of you fellas regarding a bad BMC. Just after fixing what i thought was a huge problem, led to more and more issues. Now, the starter is acting weird and randomly start. Although it's not really an issue for me, i'm primarily concerned about the safety issues with this car.

The BMC is now fixed, but then a caliper suddenly seized right after installation. I got a new caliper on and took it for a test drive. I noticed a weird noise coming from the right side. It sounds like something is grinding. I decided to isolate all other obstacles by parking the car first, and then put into drive mode with no gas and allow the vehicle to move forward slowly. The grinding noise seems to correspond with tire rotation. The faster the tire is spinning, the more frequent the grinding noise is. Imagine a nail on your tire. It will grind against the ground every full revolution of the tire. That's how it sounds like.

Jacked up the car and checked for bad bearings and ball joints. Tire is stiff and no play.

Is this car just old and breaking down, or is the GS really unreliable? Or... are any of these known issues for GS400?
They are beasts they don't break down btw lol, have u checked your brake shield?
Old 10-22-13, 10:07 PM
MasterKwan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know the rear really has 2 independent brake systems right? You have the disk brakes that activate when you press the pedal and the parking brake which has shoes inside the brake rotor. In IS300's it's common for the parking brake to make grinding noises. The GS uses the same design. Might be worth looking at.
Old 10-22-13, 11:13 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
Is your car lowered? Lowering your car makes it less reliable because you over stress everything.
Mine is lowered about 2.25", works fine.

A decently maintained GS400 will run forever.
Old 10-23-13, 12:41 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default !

You are EXACTLY RIGHT! Infiniti is TRASH. and this gs is one of the only cars on the road even compared to new cars that you can comfortably put thousands of dollars into and still not worry one day the engine or tranny will give out like mostly every other car especially Honda/Acura. There's not too many cars u can say drive 200-300k miles ON THE ORIGINAL TRANNY AND ENGINE which are the most important parts of any car. My car is. 2001 430 and it's brand new as well I'm on the same boat as you. When I first got it I thought I had a lemon because I was so overwhelmed with all the stuff that needed to be replaced since the 99 gs3 I previously had needing most nothing since the precious owner took good care I was expecting the same results from my 01. But I damn near changed every suspension part and spent a lot of money on the exhaust when I didn't need to chasing down a noise. Point being if u don't mind driving a car that makes a few noises and doesn't drive like a brand new car the gs will be fine the way it is. These suspension parts don't HAVE TO be changed except lower ball joints. It just makes the car drive like a brand new car which is why most people change them. But it's not something you HAVE TO do!

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
My 98 400 is a damn near NEW 98, I damn near replaced and upgraded everything, u gotta pay to play with the big boys... Hell, I thought I bought a lemon, I pretty much could say I did, I replaced and went through so much s$@& with my car it took over a year, it was exhausting, now it's the greatest car I've ever owned and it has become a part of me, it's a gamble, I spent about $6500 on maintenance since 2011,I fell in love with the car and knew I would have to put money in it, now I am happy I did and it payed off for me, I now have an amazing car, it's a gamble and be prepared to have to put money in parts, it also depends on the previous owner, the owner I bought mine off obviously didn't keep up with maintenance, if u bought my car right now you would get a gem, put gas in and go, there's a lot of different factors to consider when purchasing a 15 year old car, I wouldn't say its unreliable at all, my gs is still the best car I've ever owned considering the factors, do not buy an Infiniti please, they are junk, my buddies g35 2006 just blew up, engine is shot at 120k miles, everything rattles shakes and rolls and is all plastic junk, something to consider...
Old 10-23-13, 12:44 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

This is probably the ONLY problem I didn't hAve with my gs so I can't really tell you but what I can say for sure is grinding has nothing to do with suspension. Like the other guy said it definitely sounds like the e brake

Originally Posted by driver1988
nothing to do with brakes. no vibration on steering wheel and sound doesn't seem to be affected when stepping on brakes or not. Seems like grinding noise has relation to rotation of tire. brakes wouldn't matter if car was lifted or not. it has something to do with weight pressure and that, is why i attribute it to suspensions.
Old 10-23-13, 01:30 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

GS400 Unreliable ? HOGWASH.. Considering most cars you come across these days are 15 years old, with high miles and Have not been cared for, you can expected Repairs and Problems like any car left unattended. I have seen other owners, first hand, hit 300K mark and most of all of them just service the car regularly by Lexus dealer and followed the Maintenance schedule. Why is that so hard for some people just following the Service intervals? the oil changes only cost $60 and major service maybe $400-500, with biggest service around $1200-$1300.

I truly believe the GS400's probably the best car mechanically Lexus has Ever produced besides LS400/LS430. If well taken cared for, it should last a very long time. (In my case, I have yet to reach high mileage but I have 2 of them, one a 400, who i have ran hard on occasion, and modded but my **** over-maintenance on that car, I have no problems to date, yet car is coming up on its 15 year, i owned since 3 miles Brand new.) My 2nd GS, is a 430 who I have had since 18K miles, who is my daily and also drive it Long distance from AL to TX and back. My maintenance on it, is not as **** as the 400. Once a year or every 6K miles, and have had ZERO problems.. I'll have to say prior History of the car and how its maintenance is Detrimental on how the car will Live/Last. My friend bought a 2000 GS400 with 78K miles 3 years back and though the low miles, it wasn't as well kept as mine, his car has had numerous issues, not major but annoying problems, i'm not sure why but his "seems" unreliable from a maintenance stand point but the car never left him stranded, it cranked and drove as usual, just he had to fix little issue here and there so there can be consequences to not maintaining a good car or any car. Even a Bullet-proof car as the GS400, if you don't take care of it, it will have problems. Like any other. I always go by the philosophy, "If you take car of it, It'll will take care of you"

Maybe, I'm one of the OCD, ADHD ones on here, but my car is very well cared for. And, I have yet to see any Problems to date. Though my mileage is low for now, we'll see when my car gets up there. But, I'm already certain, there won't be anything majority if any problems when I reach the high-miler range because of my own-**** retentiveness of how the car should be cared for and yearly visits to Lexus dealerships.

Now Compare The 15 year old GS with another 15 year old car and you'll see whatever problems you may have is not as bad as other cars in the same Vintage. GS400 is built like a tank but you have to take care of it. Even a real Tank will deteriorate if left unattended or not properly service when needed.
Old 10-23-13, 07:57 PM
jeepney
Driver School Candidate

normal basic maintenance on a 16 yrs old car...
Old 10-23-13, 08:46 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
GS400 Unreliable ? HOGWASH.. Considering most cars you come across these days are 15 years old, with high miles and Have not been cared for, you can expected Repairs and Problems like any car left unattended. I have seen other owners, first hand, hit 300K mark and most of all of them just service the car regularly by Lexus dealer and followed the Maintenance schedule. Why is that so hard for some people just following the Service intervals? the oil changes only cost $60 and major service maybe $400-500, with biggest service around $1200-$1300.

I truly believe the GS400's probably the best car mechanically Lexus has Ever produced besides LS400/LS430. If well taken cared for, it should last a very long time. (In my case, I have yet to reach high mileage but I have 2 of them, one a 400, who i have ran hard on occasion, and modded but my **** over-maintenance on that car, I have no problems to date, yet car is coming up on its 15 year, i owned since 3 miles Brand new.) My 2nd GS, is a 430 who I have had since 18K miles, who is my daily and also drive it Long distance from AL to TX and back. My maintenance on it, is not as **** as the 400. Once a year or every 6K miles, and have had ZERO problems.. I'll have to say prior History of the car and how its maintenance is Detrimental on how the car will Live/Last. My friend bought a 2000 GS400 with 78K miles 3 years back and though the low miles, it wasn't as well kept as mine, his car has had numerous issues, not major but annoying problems, i'm not sure why but his "seems" unreliable from a maintenance stand point but the car never left him stranded, it cranked and drove as usual, just he had to fix little issue here and there so there can be consequences to not maintaining a good car or any car. Even a Bullet-proof car as the GS400, if you don't take care of it, it will have problems. Like any other. I always go by the philosophy, "If you take car of it, It'll will take care of you"

Maybe, I'm one of the OCD, ADHD ones on here, but my car is very well cared for. And, I have yet to see any Problems to date. Though my mileage is low for now, we'll see when my car gets up there. But, I'm already certain, there won't be anything majority if any problems when I reach the high-miler range because of my own-**** retentiveness of how the car should be cared for and yearly visits to Lexus dealerships.

Now Compare The 15 year old GS with another 15 year old car and you'll see whatever problems you may have is not as bad as other cars in the same Vintage. GS400 is built like a tank but you have to take care of it. Even a real Tank will deteriorate if left unattended or not properly service when needed.

GREAT post.....
Old 10-24-13, 10:59 AM
driver1988
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DMPesso
This is probably the ONLY problem I didn't hAve with my gs so I can't really tell you but what I can say for sure is grinding has nothing to do with suspension. Like the other guy said it definitely sounds like the e brake
Hhhmmm... so far majority agreed the GS is reliable. I guess i was just too quick to rant because parts and labor are not cheap man.

Anyway, if E brake was the culprit, how does it explain the grinding to only one wheel? I am not familiar with this. Would it be just like brakes where only one side can malfunction and/or grind? Hhhmmmmm

Thanks ya guys for the replies so far though
Old 10-24-13, 05:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^My e-brake was only grinding on one side in my es, the springs and stuff sometimes rust up and seize and cause this to happen, that grinding is the noise of the pad eating up the inside of your rotor. (assuming it is the parking brake). Parts are expensive, but unless your driving a car thats super common ex civics, accords, camrys, malibus ect its going to be like that. Have a friend with a Saab 9-5, not a super expensive car but parts are much more than they are for my car.
Old 10-24-13, 06:37 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

I don't think parts are expensive, same as any other car...
Old 10-24-13, 07:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Its all relative. compared to a camry or something, parts are pretty expensive. Although, it depends on where you get them and hat they are (aftermarket, factory, brand, ext)

Last edited by RXGS; 10-24-13 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: GS 400 unreliable?