GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 10:02 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing belt

Sup guys, been a while.....

Time to do my timing belt and wp and wanted your thoughts on something. My car def needs it, its a 1998 with 80k miles on original equipment. I got quoted from a toyota dealership $850 for tb wp and some other things. My question is what about the 90k service? I just bought a new k&n air filter and usually do my own oil changes. What other fluids need to be replaced?
Old 10-08-13, 01:30 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luda42688
Sup guys, been a while.....

Time to do my timing belt and wp and wanted your thoughts on something. My car def needs it, its a 1998 with 80k miles on original equipment. I got quoted from a toyota dealership $850 for tb wp and some other things. My question is what about the 90k service? I just bought a new k&n air filter and usually do my own oil changes. What other fluids need to be replaced?
I just had my '98 GS400 get the "90k" service at 247k miles as a 'just in case previous owner(s) were neglectful.' I think $800 for the timing belt or 90k service is a good price for a dealer. I was quoted about $760~ for a similar 90k service by a private shop.

As for what the 90k service includes:
Timing belt,
Waterpump
Pulleys (not the timing belt tensioner assembly itself mind you! I needed one which is about $45-$70 OEM depending on who is selling)
Cam oil seals,
+Coolant flush (lines have to be drained anyway to access stuff - might be part of cost)
+Power steering flush (lines have to be drained anyway to access stuff - might be part of cost).
+Oil change (extra charge likely)
+Air filter (again, might be extra cost on top of the $800 you mentioned)

The dealer may want to replace the accessory/drive belt too since it has to come off during the work, and with that many miles it might be a good idea just to refresh it too (+$40-$50 OEM I think?).

Anyway, depending on who you talk to the timing belt is good for 2-4 times the mileage the service interval as a safety aspect (as per a former Lexus tech). That means if you wait till 100k, 120k, or even 150k miles, chances are your car is going to be fine (but don't hold it against me if it exlpodes!) You can easily wait till 90k or 100k miles to throw the $1000 away.

PS. depending on the shop, if you have anything else that needs work around the TB/WP, ask if they'll discount the labor an hour or something, I saved $80 off the labor for replacing the A/C compressor since they had stuff opened up for the 90k service.

Old 10-09-13, 07:48 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Read the threads here and do it yourself. It's a very easy job if you are mechanically inclined.
Old 10-09-13, 08:33 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Sampak, appreciate it!

Repugnante- I could do it, except I need it done fast as I don't have another means of transportation. Plus, all my tools were stolen so I have a snapon ratchet with a 10 mm socket... and a couple of screw drivers left lolol
Old 11-26-13, 09:18 PM
kaosfive5
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sampak
I just had my '98 GS400 get the "90k" service at 247k miles as a 'just in case previous owner(s) were neglectful.' I think $800 for the timing belt or 90k service is a good price for a dealer. I was quoted about $760~ for a similar 90k service by a private shop.

As for what the 90k service includes:
Timing belt,
Waterpump
Pulleys (not the timing belt tensioner assembly itself mind you! I needed one which is about $45-$70 OEM depending on who is selling)
Cam oil seals,
+Coolant flush (lines have to be drained anyway to access stuff - might be part of cost)
+Power steering flush (lines have to be drained anyway to access stuff - might be part of cost).
+Oil change (extra charge likely)
+Air filter (again, might be extra cost on top of the $800 you mentioned)

The dealer may want to replace the accessory/drive belt too since it has to come off during the work, and with that many miles it might be a good idea just to refresh it too (+$40-$50 OEM I think?).

Anyway, depending on who you talk to the timing belt is good for 2-4 times the mileage the service interval as a safety aspect (as per a former Lexus tech). That means if you wait till 100k, 120k, or even 150k miles, chances are your car is going to be fine (but don't hold it against me if it exlpodes!) You can easily wait till 90k or 100k miles to throw the $1000 away.

PS. depending on the shop, if you have anything else that needs work around the TB/WP, ask if they'll discount the labor an hour or something, I saved $80 off the labor for replacing the A/C compressor since they had stuff opened up for the 90k service.

i think you may be the perfect person to inquire about this question on the forum, i have an 01 gs300 with 25k miles..my concern is with time of course not mileage regarding changing the timing belt/water pump..what are your thoughts? ive found more posts on mileage than time..thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-13, 10:03 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaosfive5
i think you may be the perfect person to inquire about this question on the forum, i have an 01 gs300 with 25k miles..my concern is with time of course not mileage regarding changing the timing belt/water pump..what are your thoughts? ive found more posts on mileage than time..thanks in advance!
I replied to your PM, but just to reiterate, I'm no automotive expert but I believe it would be a good idea to get it replaced based on age, however I think I've read a couple of people mention that their cars were low miles (below the service interval) and yet got the belts changed, but found the belts to be in great condition (a thread on here somewhere, sorry no link). If you have the money, I'd say go for it. Worse case, (which I believe happened with me as I found out later) you pay $800+ to get it done and don't really need it, but are then set for another 10yr/100k miles if you plan to keep the car for any length of time. Best case, the belt might be in bad shape from age, and you saved yourself an engine.
Old 11-27-13, 01:42 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The approach you want to follow on these long cycle items isnt use it up until it's about to give up.
It's more of a how long do you want to keep your car, and are you eventually going to use a new belt.

Say you plan on getting rid of your car at 200k miles, There's no point in going 150kmiles then putting on a new belt that you only use 50k miles. Get some use out of the new equipment.
The same approach goes for the Time aspect. The original stuff was good for 15years, if you plan on keeping your car to the point where you need to do the service, just get it done now, and be set for the next 15years. Rather then going 18years on old stuff until it;'s ragged, then only putting 5years on new stuff.

if it has not been done:
Fluids not mentioned above:
drain fill on the transmission fluid (diy able)
Replace diff fluid with best modern synthetic available (DIY able but messy, just pay to get this done once, to get rid of 15year old fluid)
Brake Fluid is due at 3years/30k miles, or time it with a brake pad service.
spark plugs were due at 60k miles if not done.

Last edited by raytseng; 11-27-13 at 01:46 PM.