GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Engine light is on after front end accident should only Lexus only look at it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 09:27 AM
rena
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light is on after front end accident should only Lexus only look at it?

Its in the shop and the engine light is on and its running rough. The autobody shop said accidents like this throw codes as it was hit so hard. The rad already has to be replaced and new fan and who knows what else. Theres about 7200 in damage. So a mechanic is coming out to check the codes. My issue is what else could have been knocked around? How will a regular mechanic know what to look for? I am concerned that I will have permanent issues now because this car is computerized and if I get a regular mechanic to look at and think could be a problem and it fixes it temporarily and in reality something is really wrong, but doesnt really know these type of engines, and a month or so down the road more problems arise. Im In BC canada abbotsford. The closest dealership is about 50 kms away in Vancouver. We do have a toyota dealership here. But would they know?

Its 100 per cent the other drivers fault btw so ICBC has to cover that I am aware of...
Old 10-02-13, 09:35 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rena
Its in the shop and the engine light is on and its running rough. The autobody shop said accidents like this throw codes as it was hit so hard. The rad already has to be replaced and new fan and who knows what else. Theres about 7200 in damage. So a mechanic is coming out to check the codes. My issue is what else could have been knocked around? How will a regular mechanic know what to look for? I am concerned that I will have permanent issues now because this car is computerized and if I get a regular mechanic to look at and think could be a problem and it fixes it temporarily and in reality something is really wrong, but doesnt really know these type of engines, and a month or so down the road more problems arise. Im In BC canada abbotsford. The closest dealership is about 50 kms away in Vancouver. We do have a toyota dealership here. But would they know?

Its 100 per cent the other drivers fault btw so ICBC has to cover that I am aware of...
If the entire repair is covered by that other driver's insurance, then don't worry and just get the best people for the job to look at it, at the other guy's expense. If it's throwing error codes then they can read those and find out the exact problem/part in question. With that, there is no reason for a 'mechanic' to randomly 'fix' things that don't help, so you shouldn't end up with any lingering issues, for the most part. if analyzed correctly.