GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 buying advice for Lexus/CL n00b

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 08:21 PM
GrVitesse
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS400 buying advice for Lexus/CL n00b

I'm thinking about buying a GS400 - it seems like an amazing machine and will be a huge step up from anything I've owned or driven in the past.

Considering that most of the ones in my price range ($5-7k) have 120k miles or more, what are some of the common issues with GS400s of this vintage?
What are some key questions I should ask the seller?
Is there a good web reference that details the differences between the 98, 99, and 00, what the available colors were, etc.?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. After lurking here at CL for the past month, I'm very impressed with the community and ready exchange of knowledge you have here.
Old 09-08-13, 09:05 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrVitesse
I'm thinking about buying a GS400 - it seems like an amazing machine and will be a huge step up from anything I've owned or driven in the past.

Considering that most of the ones in my price range ($5-7k) have 120k miles or more, what are some of the common issues with GS400s of this vintage?
What are some key questions I should ask the seller?
Is there a good web reference that details the differences between the 98, 99, and 00, what the available colors were, etc.?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. After lurking here at CL for the past month, I'm very impressed with the community and ready exchange of knowledge you have here.
I was in the EXACT same boat just this past Wednesday, except I stumbled upon GS 400s while filtering Craig's List for under $6000 cars. I immediately started calling and test drove 3 before buying the 3rd one (any 1 of them probably would have been a safe bet!).

Bottom line, don't be surprised to find GS400s with over 150-200k miles. As long as you can see it's had work done on time (timing belt replaced at 90-100k mile intervals), and the LOWER BALL JOINT (of doom) replaced in recent < 20k mile history then you're mostly safe and sound. Mine purrs like a kitty and pulls like it was brand new. I'm sure others here will school me on more stuff but that seemed like the biggest problem with these. In comparison you don't want me to get started with the '03-04 Infiniti M45 I was looking at which also cost around the same with fewer miles. Guess why?

The other issue mine has that I bought is the power door lock motor is bad on rear passenger door.

I'm still learning all about it but WOW coming from an '09 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE, down to a '98 Altima GXE, and now my '98 GS 400, it's almost ahead of its time.....except for the humorous existence of the CASSETTE player on the radio and OPTIONAL 6-CD changer in the dash -- my '98 Altima had a CD player right on the main head unit with no cassette slot ROFL. No biggy I use my internet radio anyway (via old cassete tape adapter to 2mm jack) so CD's don't matter.

MPG wise if I don't keep trying to make that V8 sing, I can easily obtain 24 MPG average on the highway, which is about 2 MPG less than my V6 Altima coupe, just be careful in heavy traffic.

Last edited by Sampak; 09-09-13 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 11:22 PM
GSTim
Rookie

These V8 engines, although small (my opinion), moves the big body pretty well. Although its a 15 year old car, I did not expect perfection. Mine have dings and such, but I knew it was taken care of mechanically. Timing belt and all other maintenance done on time (reciepts to prove). So I did not let the dings deter me from buying this car. I have a 98 gs400. Since I have owned both a gs300 before and now a gs400. If you like it, I highly recommend getting one.
Old 09-08-13, 11:26 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

welcome to CL....

Here's a good start to your questions you might have..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html
Old 09-09-13, 05:36 PM
GrVitesse
Rookie

Sampak and GSTim: Thanks for the helpful feedback. There's a variety of GS400s for sale, and I want to make sure I get one that's mechanically sound. My mechanical talents are limited - though I certainly don't mind learning and trying things. I didn't think about the cassette deck. Hilarious.

tmf2004: Thanks for welcome and the link. I saw that epic post a while back - an excellent reference. It's one of the reasons I joined this forum, and it reinforced my decision to buy a GS400.

Last edited by GrVitesse; 09-09-13 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 05:39 PM
GS4001999
Rookie

I just bought a 99GS400 190 miles in good shape for 3900. Love runs great
Old 09-09-13, 05:50 PM
GrVitesse
Rookie

After searching a bit on the forum, it looks like the big things one should watch out for/ask the seller about are:

-lower ball joint
-timing belt (every 90k)
-door lock actuators
-starter, or starter motor (I've heard this is a huge headache to change)

Anything else? I know to look for basic things like oil/exhaust leaks, uneven tire wear, crooked frames, etc., but is there anything else particular to the GS400?
Old 09-09-13, 07:32 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GrVitesse
After searching a bit on the forum, it looks like the big things one should watch out for/ask the seller about are:

-lower ball joint
-timing belt (every 90k)
-door lock actuators
-starter, or starter motor (I've heard this is a huge headache to change)

Anything else? I know to look for basic things like oil/exhaust leaks, uneven tire wear, crooked frames, etc., but is there anything else particular to the GS400?
One thing I'll add just for the sake of it even though it doesn't seem like a common issue, I noticed today and yesterday at least 3 times now regardless of engine temperature, upon decent acceleration from a right light or merging on highway, that 4th gear took a few extra seconds to let go and get into 5th. Basically the engine kept revving up into high 2000 RPM instead of shifting sooner. I was not on the gas and in fact let go and it still stayed in 4th gear for a bit. I am not able to reproduce this problem at will and transmission fluid seems to be at full levels when warm.
Old 09-09-13, 08:43 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That is normal, it holds the gear down expecting you to nail it again, it means you got aggressive and the transmission intelligence (forget what it is called) was trying to anticipate your next move.

It happens anytime you nail it and then back off abruptly. Do it in a GM car and the trans will upshift immediately on backing off the throttle, then if you nail it again it has to downshift all over again, the Lexus is ready to go, and performance is immediately there.

Try going down a hill, say 50 mph or so and gently tap brakes and the car will downshift helping you down the hill without needing to ride the brakes.

Originally Posted by Sampak
One thing I'll add just for the sake of it even though it doesn't seem like a common issue, I noticed today and yesterday at least 3 times now regardless of engine temperature, upon decent acceleration from a right light or merging on highway, that 4th gear took a few extra seconds to let go and get into 5th. Basically the engine kept revving up into high 2000 RPM instead of shifting sooner. I was not on the gas and in fact let go and it still stayed in 4th gear for a bit. I am not able to reproduce this problem at will and transmission fluid seems to be at full levels when warm.
Old 09-10-13, 07:57 AM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
That is normal, it holds the gear down expecting you to nail it again, it means you got aggressive and the transmission intelligence (forget what it is called) was trying to anticipate your next move.

It happens anytime you nail it and then back off abruptly. Do it in a GM car and the trans will upshift immediately on backing off the throttle, then if you nail it again it has to downshift all over again, the Lexus is ready to go, and performance is immediately there.

Try going down a hill, say 50 mph or so and gently tap brakes and the car will downshift helping you down the hill without needing to ride the brakes.
Thanks! I figured it was 'ready' for action because just prior, I had accelerated quick up to speed and then slowed down again, and then speeding up slower this time, I noticed this. Thankfully the tranny fluid is on the full mark when hot so I think that clears it up (and it didn't seem to happen again last night and this morning).

Sorry for the sort-of-hijack.
Old 09-10-13, 06:45 PM
ToddK
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 99 GS400 (RMM Supercharged) about a month ago, I was coming from a 2012 BMW 328i and I can honestly say I am more than pleased with the GS line even comparing it to a brand new BMW. I was looking at a couple different cars, and if I could offer one suggestion; buy an enthusiasts car with mods that you like. It is pretty much inevitable that you are going to mod the car, find a car with as much done as possible because you will really save money in the long run. I can trace back the last 12 years of history on my car, as it is all sitting in a huge binder I received from the previous owner.

Drive or fly to find the right car, you will be glad you did.