GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thoughts on 3m vinyl wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 04:10 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Yea I'm not gettig what other people want I just really wanted to see how the 2gs looked and if anyone had any pics of that and get some opinions on what other people think are nice so maybe ill change to a different color.
Old 05-12-14, 06:17 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I fiunally found a good looking dipped GS300. now I'm sold on plasti dipping. I think it's all about what color scheme you are doing and the prep work involved.

Name:  AZDipshopCandylandPurpleGS300_zpsac31ab2f.jpg
Views: 3144
Size:  416.1 KB
Old 05-12-14, 01:57 PM
yada
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPRTNYDSN
Well I fiunally found a good looking dipped GS300. now I'm sold on plasti dipping. I think it's all about what color scheme you are doing and the prep work involved.

This car looks stunningly awesome
Old 05-13-14, 12:39 PM
gordo33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just don't plan on changing colors. There is one up here that was plasti-dipped and when he wanted to change the color the clear and some paint was pulled off when he took off the dip. Might have been a prep issue, not sure but just as heads up.
Old 05-13-14, 01:20 PM
josey88
Driver

As a matter of curiosity , how long a plasti- dip paint will last on a car ?
Old 05-19-14, 12:55 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by josey88
As a matter of curiosity , how long a plasti- dip paint will last on a car ?
from what I know personally. I have a friend that did a test. He left his plasti dip EVO for a year without washing the car. Letting every outdoor element hit the car(bird poop, dirt, snow , rain). When it was time to remove the dip...It came off in pieces but he bought the 4 dissolver spray bottles from DYC which made it easier to remove.
Old 05-28-14, 01:56 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

IMO, all I got to say is, dam I'm glad you guys chose something that's not permanent. No offense but I think they all, (except new body styles like mentioned that have lots of sharp edges) Look like garbage. They look like nothing more than a sun valley special, low class, backyard rattle can pait job (wait, but it is huh) from one of those people who rattle can there cars because it actually looks better than the exhaisting paint. The white Gs, people think it looks good? It may look alright, esp. In the photo, but my eye see's nothing but what I would have thought, and did, was just another salvaged Gs owned by someone who went extra budget on the re-spray of the car. I'm sorry but it just looks cheap. It degrades the car, it defaces it as well, and I think it's absurd that people are even doing this to the Gs mean while thinking it's a world above Hondas. If you've done this that's what I think you've done. Put your Gs. In the class of the same year honda's. If they looked good this way, the dealership would have probably considered offering it back when we purchased them for $40,000 right? Again I don't want anyone to take offense to this, but just realize that our cars are classy, high end cars. And if we want to keep it this way, we need to leave these paint jobs for the honda's to play with. Keep it classy gentleman. Cheers.
Old 05-28-14, 02:50 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

never thought I would say this but.....I am fellin the purple (even the purple grill), don't really agree with plasidip except for small piece but, well hell its not my car!!
Old 05-28-14, 02:51 PM
yada
Pit Crew

Well doesnt the vinyl wrap help w resale? If you changed the color of your car with paint it may be a lot harder to sell a purple gs400 then to sell a white, silver, black gs400 with good paint? I get you may not like the changes but their are rational reasons fpr the change. Not to mention upon seeing the purple or even lexus isf blue I would have loved the option to find a gs400 in that color.
Old 05-28-14, 03:18 PM
SiCcNeSs
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
IMO, all I got to say is, dam I'm glad you guys chose something that's not permanent. No offense but I think they all, (except new body styles like mentioned that have lots of sharp edges) Look like garbage. They look like nothing more than a sun valley special, low class, backyard rattle can pait job (wait, but it is huh) from one of those people who rattle can there cars because it actually looks better than the exhaisting paint. The white Gs, people think it looks good? It may look alright, esp. In the photo, but my eye see's nothing but what I would have thought, and did, was just another salvaged Gs owned by someone who went extra budget on the re-spray of the car. I'm sorry but it just looks cheap. It degrades the car, it defaces it as well, and I think it's absurd that people are even doing this to the Gs mean while thinking it's a world above Hondas. If you've done this that's what I think you've done. Put your Gs. In the class of the same year honda's. If they looked good this way, the dealership would have probably considered offering it back when we purchased them for $40,000 right? Again I don't want anyone to take offense to this, but just realize that our cars are classy, high end cars. And if we want to keep it this way, we need to leave these paint jobs for the honda's to play with. Keep it classy gentleman. Cheers.
How are those $95.00 Ebay UCA's working out?
Old 05-28-14, 05:01 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SiCcNeSs
How are those $95.00 Ebay UCA's working out?
LOL... I see what you did there.
Old 05-28-14, 08:45 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
I would take your post serious due to the facts that matte paint on the GS is ugly, but I can't take you serious with your classy statement and $40k price tags when you're the one considering putting garbage Ebay clearance red light special $95 UCA on your car!!! Man get out of here. At least what these guys are considering won't destroy their suspension. I guess lexus was wrong since our cars didn't come from the factory with those crappy $95 UCA you vigorously defended.
Old 05-28-14, 09:18 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
I would take your post serious due to the facts that matte paint on the GS is ugly, but I can't take you serious with your classy statement and $40k price tags when you're the one considering putting garbage Ebay clearance red light special $95 UCA on your car!!! Man get out of here. At least what these guys are considering won't destroy their suspension. I guess lexus was wrong since our cars didn't come from the factory with those crappy $95 UCA you vigorously defended.
I won't lie, until I've seen proof that those UCAs are bad, I won't knock them because the sway bars that I bought from EMUSA (the company producing the UCAs) were a great, inexpensive purchase... On the other hand, people LOVE the MOOG LBJs which are quite a bit cheaper than the OEM ones, but I've also heard negative comments about their UCAs (again, to which no one has proof of them actually being poor quality items). I do agree with everything else being said... pot meet kettle.

I do think that the matte purple is pretty nice though. I disagree where it's cheap looking, blah blah, etc. etc. when I've seen pretty much every type of vehicle under the sun from ecoboxes to exotics rocking it. I think it's all in the execution.
Old 05-29-14, 12:55 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
You know what I'm assuming all you that quoted me that took offense to what I said are probably just around 18 to mid 20's in age, because you did, in fact take offense to what I said, it's my opinion and that's all it was, but for you to take a post where I asked about some control arms being $95 was hilarious. Funny thing is I ordered SPC's without hesitation so I could take the geometry of them, and make them myself because fabricating is something I do, and you will see that when I post them up for the community for a cheap price. What also is funny is the fact that I own not only one lexus, but 3, along with my custom built class ultra III race truck that my Gs is worth 1/18 the price of. Along with my boat and other toys, so I assure you one thing I've got is class, but I also have the attribute to contribute incase no ones say, seen those ebay arms, and possibly would have wanted them, With my Gs personally I've gone pretty much all figs, it's not really something that's a big deal to me I just have a thing for the car. So yea, there ya have it... I bought the SPC's to simply see what they are producing, I'll throw em on for sure, and I guarantee you I'll throw them up for sale after fab'ing my own, along with many more for those who want top notch arms but perhaps, just say, maybe can't afford the SPC's.... Which is why I put that $95 thread up. Actually, before I even clown on those, I'll go ahead and do what I said, an I'll purchase a set, and see what there all about... And guess what... I'll keep you guys posted on that as well, someone may need them. Cheers boys enjoy spraying your Lexus's with something that's coming out of a can... Like I said, thank god it's just not permanent. That says enough.

Btw wasn't trying to flaunt all that I have, but when you are pathetic enough to make all attempts to offend me for something that I posted for the community, which isn't even comparable to spraying your car with some canned **** and call me unclassy when I even stated to not take offense, but for some easily predicted reason, then yea. I'll show you what's up.
Old 05-29-14, 12:57 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Btw, sorry I never stated the fact that that purple actually did come out looking good. That's probably the only one too. Dig it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 3m vinyl wrap?