GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Toyota dealer pushing injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 06:16 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GSteg said to avoid the progaurd version.
Old 10-06-14, 01:11 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I bought a 2 bottles of Chevron Techron FI cleaner so when my gas gets low next, I'll try adding this to my gas tank.
As far as fuel additives go, there really is no need to wait until your gas gets low if you want to just get things done.

Think about it. as long as you can pump in more than say 2 gallons that's more than enough gas to wash the additive down the pipe and mix the additive into the tank. Your driving around (combined with the fuel pump and jet return) will do plenty of continuous mixing.

The only purpose is if you want to use a particular fuel mixture for a shorter period of time than a full tank.

Last edited by raytseng; 10-06-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 01:38 PM
azndriver
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another great fuel injector cleaner:

BG 44K

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol.../#bg-product-1
Old 10-07-14, 05:48 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azndriver
Another great fuel injector cleaner:

BG 44K

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol.../#bg-product-1
I don't know if you seen this:

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
The active cleaning agent for fuel injectors is PEA. You want a cleaner that has a lot of that in it. Stay away from BG44K. They removed the PEA cleaning agent the last time I looked at their product. The service that they are trying to sell you is BS and you don't need it. The current over the counter cleaners to purchase with PEA is Chevron Techron FI Cleaner, Gumout Regane, 3M FI cleaner, and Redline FI cleaner. These are the best products to use TRUST ME. If you still don't belive me, google those products and read real user reviews yourself. I typically use Chevron Techron FI cleaner every 6 months to keep everything clean, along with using quality 93 gas. You can find it at AZ or AA for BOGO's all the time. If you never have used a real FI cleaner before, I would suggest using doing a back to back treatment through two full tanks to break down the carbon deposits. I work in the Petroleum industry, so I know what I'm talking about
Old 10-23-14, 09:00 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Most companies that sell fuel injector cleaners no longer list how much PEA they use as people have been comparing their products against one another. So you wont find PEA listed in companies MSDS-Material Safety Data Sheets anymore except for Redline. Redline S1 still list it on theirs at 30-39% PEA. There are older posts if you search where someone did the research on much PEA is in their cleaners. The one I read yesterday from the late 2000's had Gumout Regane, Redline S1, Techron Concentrate, Amsoil, and BG44K as having the higher percentages 30+%, Royal Purple was listed at 10-15%. This is from memory. Obviously formulations may have changed since the late 2000's.
Old 10-24-14, 10:32 PM
GSTim
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that everyone is missing the point here. As a service advisor myself. Performance/noticeable difference is very minimal. It's about the money. Does it take an hour? No. It pays an hour? Yes. It's all a ploy to sell and make more money.

Nowadays. Gas has detergents in them. Burns clean anyways.
Old 12-20-14, 05:07 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I've been monitoring my O2 today and it's been cycling as low as almost zero and all the way up to 0.8 something volts so I'm going to rule out the O2 for now...

I bought a 2 bottles of Chevron Techron FI cleaner so when my gas gets low next, I'll try adding this to my gas tank.

Also have been looking into clogged fuel filter and started looking into parts. Hopefully it's just the filter and not the pump...
Just wanted to check back in after use of 2 bottles of Chevron Techron FI cleaner (I've probably filled up my car about 10 times since).

First bottle: I poured in the entire bottle to whatever gallons of tank I should mix into per the bottle. I didn't see improvement while going through the tank with the cleaner. I saw slight improvement after putting in another tank of gas without cleaner but nothing significant.

Second bottle: So I poured in a second bottle. Again, minimal change while using the tank with the cleaner.

Improvement after 2 bottles: But, after that second bottle, my ST fuel trim is back to normal range, usually within +/- few percent (mostly under 5%, under 10% for sure). LT fueltrim has gone down also, mostly mirrors the ST trim level but with a flipped sign to net to a zero %. Gas mileage has also returned to a more normal expected level with my 3.76 final gear. Engine didn't shake while it was using gas with the cleaner.

Cliffnotes: I was seeing high positive ST/LT fuel trim as high as +20% so I suspected that there may be some crap building up or something going on so the fuel wasn't being delivered as efficiently as the car was intending to deliver and putting 20% more fuel to compensate.
I think most of our cars have a good amount of miles, mine has 250k+ miles, but the Chevron Techron FI cleaner definitely helped my car's ST/LT fuel trim and mpg .

I was afraid to seafoam my car since it seemed a bit invasive for the miles I have on my car. I didn't believe in additive or cleaners and thought it was a gimick but from just purely a ST/LT fuel trim perspective, I think the Chevron Techron FI cleaner did exactly what I was looking it to do. Thanks again everyone for sharing information .
Old 12-20-14, 05:14 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSBen
Most companies that sell fuel injector cleaners no longer list how much PEA they use as people have been comparing their products against one another. So you wont find PEA listed in companies MSDS-Material Safety Data Sheets anymore except for Redline. Redline S1 still list it on theirs at 30-39% PEA. There are older posts if you search where someone did the research on much PEA is in their cleaners. The one I read yesterday from the late 2000's had Gumout Regane, Redline S1, Techron Concentrate, Amsoil, and BG44K as having the higher percentages 30+%, Royal Purple was listed at 10-15%. This is from memory. Obviously formulations may have changed since the late 2000's.
^This!!

I found out that PEA was a critical element of the cleaner so I made sure I went with a brand that has a high PEA content.

Read 'chad8's reply in this thread , sounds like he has a GS400 also.