GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cold engine, long time to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 01:14 PM
gpow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold engine, long time to start

Hi,
I have my GS300 1998 year. Now in the morning or when it stays longer that 5hours it takes quite long time to start it up. It needs around 3-5 seconds to start the engine. When engine is not cold it just starts immediately.
I just changed spark plugs, still the same,
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 08-18-13, 08:08 PM
titangts
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

How many miles? Not wanting to throw a crazy negative but some time that's a sign of loss compression. BUT it could be a hand full of things.
Old 08-18-13, 09:33 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need to start diaging the car to pin point what is causing the issue.

no drivability issues? gas milage change?

first thing though, first thing in the morning, go to your car before you start the car, go release the gas cap, see if you here a hiss. after 5 hours, you should still have some residue pressure in the tank. if not, then you know it can be gas related.

next, check your injectors, see if there is any fuel seepage. you might not be able to see since fuel evaporates, but it might leave a little bit of residue around. could very well be an oring on the injectors has gone.

next, try turning your key to the acc on position, let it sit there for about 15 seconds, turn off for 5 seconds and repeat, this will prime the system. if by then the car starts up pretty fast and normal, it could then been fuel pump/fuel regulator issues.

thats all i can really think of at the moment without actually using any tools.
Old 08-19-13, 01:19 AM
gpow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
you need to start diaging the car to pin point what is causing the issue.

no drivability issues? gas milage change?

first thing though, first thing in the morning, go to your car before you start the car, go release the gas cap, see if you here a hiss. after 5 hours, you should still have some residue pressure in the tank. if not, then you know it can be gas related.

next, check your injectors, see if there is any fuel seepage. you might not be able to see since fuel evaporates, but it might leave a little bit of residue around. could very well be an oring on the injectors has gone.

next, try turning your key to the acc on position, let it sit there for about 15 seconds, turn off for 5 seconds and repeat, this will prime the system. if by then the car starts up pretty fast and normal, it could then been fuel pump/fuel regulator issues.

thats all i can really think of at the moment without actually using any tools.
Everything is fine, gas mileage is good, engine runs smooth, it is just start issue. Sorry for bad sound quality, you can see the video I just filmed today
http://youtu.be/DMQL75kSDfU
Old 08-19-13, 05:29 AM
gpow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by titangts
How many miles? Not wanting to throw a crazy negative but some time that's a sign of loss compression. BUT it could be a hand full of things.
But engine looks clean, does not burns any oil, gas mileage is good, and no issues with acceleration or drivability.
Old 08-20-13, 03:01 AM
gpow
Driver School Candidate

This morning after all night I just opened gas tank and there was small hiss. Have no idea what can be.
Old 08-20-13, 10:15 PM
MotoEvo
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your battery voltage when it's cold, and again when it's warmed up. It may be time to replace your battery if it's not holding a strong enough charge.
Old 08-21-13, 04:32 AM
gpow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MotoEvo
Check your battery voltage when it's cold, and again when it's warmed up. It may be time to replace your battery if it's not holding a strong enough charge.
Checked with colleague, battery is good :/
Old 08-21-13, 08:25 AM
sinstrex
Driver

Its the Fuel regulator or the fuel pump. whenever a car takes longer to start and everything else is fine, its the fuel pump going bad. replace with a friend's, leave it overnight and check. I think it should solve it
Old 08-21-13, 02:05 PM
gpow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sinstrex
Its the Fuel regulator or the fuel pump. whenever a car takes longer to start and everything else is fine, its the fuel pump going bad. replace with a friend's, leave it overnight and check. I think it should solve it
That's what I also think to do, but first I think I'll go to dealer to see diagnostics